Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

US Marines funny car


majel
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't usually post in progress pictures but i thought I'd give it a try.  I'm working on the Revell 1/16th scale Mickey Thompson Grand Am funny car and i have the engine mostly complete.  The A/N fittings are from Pro Tech and Top Studio, and the braided line is from Pro Tech also.  The fuel lines into the blower hat and the intake manifold are .035 stainless welding wire with Pro Tech fittings.  The plug writes are from the kit and the blower belt is black tape. The barrel valve and linkage are Pro Tech parts also.IMG_9891.jpg.d7c6d54f65c6f708f8e54cadd61f5692.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_9886.jpg

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9884.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I got quite a bit of work done lately.  The engine is in the chassis and is almost complete,   The seat and harness are both done, the harness was made using Pro Tech parts.  I'm now working on the body, wheels, and finishing the chassis.  I love these 1/16th funny cars, just wish they weren't so darn expensive!

IMG_9901.JPG

IMG_9899.JPG

IMG_9898.JPG

IMG_9897.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow Tim that came out real nice!  I'm using a set of Slixx decals that I bought at least 15 years ago.   Unfortunately all but about four of the decals tore into multiple pieces,  most of them in the water while still on the backing paper!  Very frustrating!!  The stars  on the roof are all individual pieces and after letting everything set up for four days I wiped the model down and ten of the stars came off! So now I'm trying to find another set of decals so I can finish this up. 

20200715_182247.jpg

20200713_060015.jpg

20200713_060135.jpg

20200713_060209.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure my brake line setup is 100% correct,  but I did see a similar setup on a Hawaiian funny car.   Used .025 stainless welding wire for the brake lines and the kit tee.  Might not be exactly right but I think it looks better than the kit supplied brake hose. 

20200722_203320.jpg

20200722_203444.jpg

20200722_203504.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is extremely frustrating when your build goes backwards.   I lost some stars on the roof because the decals were old and some didn't stick well.   I thought I could get another set of Slixx decals and replace the missing stars but that set is out of production.  I found a set on Ebay for $58, but that's ridiculous!!  So I bought a set of Chuck Boerner decals and stripped the old decals off.  Now I've got to repaint or massively touch up the blue on the body and try this again!  Hopefully I have better luck the second time around. 

20200715_182247.jpg

20200729_214148.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So after stripping off all the decals I realized the Chuck Boerner decals are much different from the Slixx decals I originally used.   The Slixx decals assume using the rear glass, whereas Chuck's decals are correct for the actual car that ran without rear glass.   So I filled in the rear window with sheet styrene and glazing putty and repainted the car.   I've got the new decals installed along with the parachute and interior things so I'm ready for a coat of clear and finish it up.  I was incredibly impressed with Chuck's decals,  they go on great and are almost foolproof.

20200803_184041.jpg

20200803_184005.jpg

20200803_183944.jpg

20200803_183922.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...