Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

Mike 1017

Oh Man the new one that just opened up last fall near me is STILL closed.Give me a break.The Michaels across the parking lot is open.Just have to wear a mask.And no more AC Moore.But they never really had much of anything.Hobby Lobby is packed with stuff I can use,from stacks of models,to model railroad stuff.I called them to see when they are going to open again,,and I was told several times,they had no idea.They’re gonna go broke soon.

One thing about ours, that I've noted since they reopened. 

It is packed! Every time I've gone, it has been jammed full. Long Checkout Lines, No Parking, and the aisles are full too. And, no, nobody can be seen with cloth and elastic tape to make Masks. They are all buying the same, cheap "Made in China", Home Decor POS that H.L. is famous for..............

I'm not sure what's going on.

Mine has been open, I’ve only gone twice midweek so it wasn’t all that crowded. First trip I got the BSI thick ca glue I needed. I am surprised how far I nursed my last bottle along during the shutdown. And I got two cans of Testors Extreme sprays to use on my Jeepster.  That’s it!

Second trip was just to see if they had gotten the 67 Chevy, but they hadn’t so I left empty handed.

On 6/20/2020 at 11:07 AM, Mike 1017 said:

Just got back. Nothing new. I asked about new stuff. They get what they get from corporate

Likely depends on when they get shipments from the model companies. As we have seen, not every new release ends up there so gotta take what they get and use the internet to find the rest.

I finally had the time to swing by my Hobby Lobby. The had the 67 Impala 4 door. With 40% off, it was $17.99. Grabbed some thinner, because I was low, and some wood sticks to make window frames for my diorama. I looked at some rattle can paints (30% off), but resisted the urge as I need to document my existing inventory. I really need to get my 1st airbrush then learn to decant what I have.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:45 PM, Bills72sj said:I looked at some rattle can paints (30% off), but resisted the urge as I need to document my existing inventory. I really need to get my 1st airbrush then learn to decant what I have.

Good idea!  Every time I’m at a show and a vendor is selling Tamiya sprays at a discount I’d buy a few.. to get home and find I already had unopened cans of the same colors. At least my taste is consistent!

On 6/21/2020 at 10:09 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Mine has been open, I’ve only gone twice midweek so it wasn’t all that crowded. First trip I got the BSI thick ca glue I needed. I am surprised how far I nursed my last bottle along during the shutdown. And I got two cans of Testors Extreme sprays to use on my Jeepster.  That’s it!

Second trip was just to see if they had gotten the 67 Chevy, but they hadn’t so I left empty handed.

I’d been wondering about that BSI thick glue Tom - how long do you find it takes to set up?  I’ve been wondering about trying that instead of 5 minute epoxy for wheel-gluing chores 

16 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’d been wondering about that BSI thick glue Tom - how long do you find it takes to set up?  I’ve been wondering about trying that instead of 5 minute epoxy for wheel-gluing chores 

It sets up in maybe less  than a minute. I generally will glue something and walk away.   You can use a kicker on it but be warned... a thick coat with kicker will sometimes expand and more than fill the gap.  I had an issue putting a Model A to chassis, it wouldn’t sit flat..  took it apart to find the solid glue sitting there like a shim!

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

It sets up in maybe less  than a minute. I generally will glue something and walk away.   You can use a kicker on it but be warned... a thick coat with kicker will sometimes expand and more than fill the gap.  I had an issue putting a Model A to chassis, it wouldn’t sit flat..  took it apart to find the solid glue sitting there like a shim!

Interesting - thanks for the info buddy!  Appreciate you taking the time!