Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 nomad which kit?

The old Monogram is not that good either, it's 1/24th scale and looks to be somewhat out of proportion.
But the Revell Black Widow is a 150 so it's a base model so instead of the Black Widow kit I would go for either the recent Revell 1957 Convertible or 2-Door Sedan for the body, both are Bel Airs and you will get the correct side trim, and use the 1956 roof.

Edited by Force

Thought about this overnight. There doesn't seem to be any good, easy way to a nice looking '57 Nomad. :(

If I HAD to build one, I'd start with either the Revell '56 or the AMT '55, and then try to figure out how to swap the body sides and whole front end from either the Revell '57 sedan, their snapper hardtop, or the second-issue AMT hardtop. 

Been awhile since I looked at the kits, but recall the Revell roof and windows are poorly rendered.  I have a built Revell that I planned to utilize, think the roof is much better, but the bumpers and trim weren't desirable.  But I haven't built any, so only worth two cents.

IMG_7151_Fotor.jpg

You'd think we would have a good 1/25 plastic 57 Nomad......if Revell had not gone under we may. 

The old Monogram is a little off.....but not horrible.....this is a truly obscure model of a TV show car....anyone???

CHEVY57.JPG

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, Snake45 said:

Thought about this overnight. There doesn't seem to be any good, easy way to a nice looking '57 Nomad. :(

If I HAD to build one, I'd start with either the Revell '56 or the AMT '55, and then try to figure out how to swap the body sides and whole front end from either the Revell '57 sedan, their snapper hardtop, or the second-issue AMT hardtop. 

I thought i remembered hearing  one of these Nomad kits was exceptional. I 've done a few AMT '55's so it must be the Revell '56

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Maybe this is what you're looking for  Johnny Rocket......if it could be found of course.

20200715_193824.jpg

I have one of them, the worst kit in my stash. both sides are different lengths, and the engine is a joke. the only parts in mine worth keeping are the roof and interior and possibly the chassis. The roof on the one pictured above actually looks worse than mine but at least the side on it look to bow out instead on in like mine