Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 70 Charger

Doug 1061

This was a stalled project from a couple years back that I finally broke down and finished up.   I wanted it to be Panther Pink but it had a different idea..... After the 3rd wrecked paint job I decided to go with Testors Arctic blue.  Not one of my best builds but a good scale 20 footer.  Overall happy with it.   Don't know what the deal is with these Testors metallic colors, they don't seem to like to cover in the door and trunk lid seams.  It's not from a lack of sanding what with it being painted 4 times.   Strange it only shows from certain angles.   Thinking maybe I shoulda used gray primer instead of white.   Would appreciate any thoughts on that.  Thanks for lookin'.             Doug.

DSC_0008r.jpg

DSC_0017r.jpg

DSC_0023r.jpg

IMG_5769r.jpg

DSC_0030r.jpg

IMG_5752r.jpg

I like the Artic Blue much better! It really suits the model much better IMO. It's not just Testors or metallics that has issues covering white primer. I had an issue with Tamiya Maroon over gray. I had to brush the color in the panel lines before the last coat of paint. I think it's because there is such a sharp corner there that the paint wants to wick away from it slightly. I've seen that issue a lot with blue over white primer. The only time I use white primer is if I'm painting it white. 

Very nice. Roger is correct. When a body is pulled from the mold there are almost undetectable raised portions around the engraved lines.  Imo color of the primer has no effect on that but will effect  color. Two things you can do. 1. Lightly  sand all panel lines to eliminate the lips and make sure paiis well shaken and spray  very light coats to get even build and only spray wet coats for the last couple. 

Beautiful looking finishes through out and I like the showroom style. Can you imagine a time when you could walk into a Dodge dealership and have something like this on the showroom floor. Present day Hell Cats aside. 

43 minutes ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking finishes through out and I like the showroom style. Can you imagine a time when you could walk into a Dodge dealership and have something like this on the showroom floor. Present day Hell Cats aside. 

Those were the days. And all for the paltry sum of around $3500 or so.  Of course that was a fortune back in '70.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.  I went back this morning and brush painted in the panel lines.  Much better.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I'll start using gray primer on these darker colors, so it won't stand out so much.  I thought I had it sanded down well enough since this is the fourth paint job I had to do on it.  Every paint job is an experiment.    I don't usually have this much trouble.  Guess I was overdue lol...    Again, thanks for the input on this.

IMG_5787r.jpg

That's a mighty nice looking Charger! Great job on the interior, too. The Arctic Blue Metallic is a beautiful color. That's what I used on my first build in over 20 years, a '67 Chevelle SS396, and I had the exact same problem with the panel lines on that one, even with gray primer.

Looks really good Doug.  It also comes really close to the  B7 the darker blue that was available in 70 on the Chargers.  I haven't built one yet but it is on the list.   I like the way your front pan fits correctly on the front of the car.  Some of the builds have looked a tad off.  Of course I am being critical and I have built one yet!  Lol!  Anyhow a very nice looking build.