Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar XK-E Cabriolet

mrmike

Mike, The plastic tubing will probably be a good way around the headlamps problem albeit with a bit of trial and error cutting and shaping to fit. Another way around this if you cannot get the exact tubing diameter you want is roll paper thin plastic card sheet into a tube shape and do trial fits into the headlamp apertures on the bonnet (hood). If you roll the tube a bit smaller than the aperture then slide it into position, then let the tube unravel a bit until it fits perfectly within, but sticks out at the front. You can try this out with some copier paper before committing to plastic card to get a feel for how it is done. Ensure though that the positioning and depth within the aperture is correct to take the lamp itself and circular concentricity is maintained.  Liquid cement can be used to both set the tube itself and to within the aperture. Once set hard, the excess sticking out of the front can be cut away with a razor saw and cleaned up very carefully with small files and some wet and dry abrasive sheet. Where this work is done will probably then be hidden by the kit chrome surround and clear cover. You have not mentioned if Heller have omitted the headlamps themselves or not, but I guess that they are in the kit.

NB Thanks , I see that you are considering my apology.

Kind regards   Noel

Edited by Bugatti Fan

The Story

McNally stops at Boston Police Headquarters to find out more about Johnny Wilson.  Lt. Det. Troy prints out Johnny's arrest record for McNally and he reads about all of Johnny's arrests and prison time.  That afternoon, McNally gets a call from Johnny telling him to meet him in the alley behind Camber St. in Jamica Plain, a neighborhood of Boston.  McNally arrives at the alley and he walks up the alley with his SIG Sauer P227 drawn and ready.  He approaches a slight bend in the alley and he finds a body on the ground.  Johnny Wilson and he is dead.  

McNally calls the Police and he waits for them to arrive.  Several cops and the Coroner doing their jobs and the Det. Steven Darvell arrives.  Right away, he accuses McNally of killing Johnny.  McNally tells Darvell to either arrest him and talk to his lawyer, Charlotte Rothmann or investigate what actually happened at the scene.  Darvell snorts and walks over to the body and the Coroner.  

A cop walks by McNally and says, "He's a jerk!"  McNally agrees with him. 

The Build

I like to gather pictures of the 1:1 and use them for my background and screensaver on my laptop.  I was staring at my background picture and noticed the headlight tunnels on a 1:1 Jaguar and I didn't see any on the Heller Jag.  Using some 11/32 styrene tubing, I cut out and shaped a couple of "tunnels" for my model.  I got the basic shape and now to cut them down further.

McNally will return...

XK-E19.JPG

XK-E20.JPG

XK-E21.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks David!  I thought about the situation and concluded that tubing would be a good thing to use and I happen to have some 11/32 tubing on hand, so it was a perfect fit.

21 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Mike, The plastic tubing will probably be a good way around the headlamps problem albeit with a bit of trial and error cutting and shaping to fit. Another way around this if you cannot get the exact tubing diameter you want is roll paper thin plastic card sheet into a tube shape and do trial fits into the headlamp apertures on the bonnet (hood). If you roll the tube a bit smaller than the aperture then slide it into position, then let the tube unravel a bit until it fits perfectly within, but sticks out at the front. You can try this out with some copier paper before committing to plastic card to get a feel for how it is done. Ensure though that the positioning and depth within the aperture is correct to take the lamp itself and circular concentricity is maintained.  Liquid cement can be used to both set the tube itself and to within the aperture. Once set hard, the excess sticking out of the front can be cut away with a razor saw and cleaned up very carefully with small files and some wet and dry abrasive sheet. Where this work is done will probably then be hidden by the kit chrome surround and clear cover. You have not mentioned if Heller have omitted the headlamps themselves or not, but I guess that they are in the kit.

NB Thanks , I see that you are considering my apology.

Kind regards   Noel

Noel, thank you for the idea, but that doesn't seem to be good for me, especially since I have styrene tubing on hand.  I would rather go through the proces of shaping and fitting the tubing than to go through the effort of copy paper and then transferring that image to very thin card plastic.  For me, that would be a waste of my time and energy.  And, there are no parts for headlight tunnels in the box and it appears to be an overlooked item when they designed the kit, but headlights are included.  

Mike, the tube you are using looks the best way to go if you have the right diameter. What I was suggesting was an alternative of needs be.   I had to resort to it when I was restoring an old Merit kit of a Le Mans Aston from the 50's era for an Aston collector a number of years ago.

If you have ever thought about replacing the kit wire wheels with photo etched ones there is a UK company named South Eastern Finecast who has a lovely set in their range, fully made up with tyres fitted and knock on caps. I used a set of these some time ago on a model and they certainly improved the appearance.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

It's surprising how companies could miss tooling up something as basic and visible as the headlight scoops, but Heller isn't the only ones who have done this. My 1:32 Airfix XKE is missing the same parts, with the same appearance issues.

Ken, if happens from time to time and it is up to us modelers to correct these flaws if it is within our skillset.  I knew I could do it with a little scratch building and some 11/32 tubing.  So far, it looks pretty good. 

Noel, I have not thought of replacing the wheels with PE wheels, nor will I.  I will stick with the plastic ones as I have already pointed out earlier in this thread. 

The Story

McNally drives out to Concord, MA to talk to Ritchie and he sees red and blue flashing lights at Ritchie's house.  He parks his car out of the way of the ambulance and patrol cars in front of the house and he goes up to the cop standing outside and he shows his ID and asks what happened.  Ritchie apparently suffered a heart attack when his aide, Charles Dennett found him lying on the floor.  Set up with an IV and O2 mask, the ambulance attendants load Ritchie into the ambulance and drive him to Emerson Hospital.  McNally walks up to Dennett and he asks what had happened and Dennett waves him off and runs out of the house, most likely heading to the Hospital to be with Ritchie.

The Build

I got the body pieces into a couple of coats of Tamiya TS-86 Pure Red, the headlight tunnels into a coat of Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf and the rear deck into a coat of Tamiya TS-29 Semi-Gloss Black.

McNally will return...

XK-E22.JPG

XK-E23.JPG

XK-E24.JPG

The Story

Lt. Det. Adam Troy is sitting in his office doing paperwork when he hears a knock on his door.  He sees attorney Charlotte Rothmann standing outside the door and he waves her into his office.  She asks if there is a need for her to intervene since McNally was harrassed at a crime scene by Det. Steven Darvell.  This is news to Lt. Troy and he says that it is a situation that will be handled "in-house" by him.  The detective will be spoken to and offered an ultimatum if he wants to keep his job. 

Charlie replies that if Det. Darvell stops his harrassment, she will not intervene.  Otherwise, she will bring up charges against Det. Darvell with the Internal Affairs Bureau.  She also says that enough is enough!

The Build

I have been adding more bits and pieces to the chassis of the Jag XK-E including the front suspension.  I also did a mockup with the engine to check the fit.  I added the headlight reflectors to the hood.

More Jaguar to come...

XK-E25.JPG

XK-E26.JPG

XK-E27.JPG

I have decided to have embossing powder carpet.  I coat the floor with watered down white glue one side at a time and sprinkle black embossing powder until it is covered.  I masked off the front dash and the rear panel for black paint and the front wasn't burnished enough and the black paint ran under the tape.  I added the nacelles for the headlights.

XK-E31.JPG

XK-E32.JPG

XK-E33.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mrmike said:

Thanks Randy!  It has been a couple weeks and I should get back to this build, story and all!

Ya I was starting to worry that McNally was MIA or something. I like how the "carpet" turned out.