Model Cars Magazine Forum

Would you buy this compressor for airbrush use?

I'm really out of my element on this stuff, but IIRC, two of the constants mentioned in the various inquiries are, does the unit have: 1) water trap and 2) adjustable pressure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Piston-Airbrush-Compressor-with-3L-Tank-1-5-HP-Hobby-T-Shirt-Tattoo/163236104354?hash=item2601a148a2:g:HQQAAOSwImRYHsYV

This seems to have both.  Any fatal flaws I'm not seeing?

Edited by Monty

In the interests of balance, now I’ve thought about it for an hour, the pressure adjustment knob got stiff on mine after a while and that little pin on the red plastic whatever it is on the tank rattles and irritated me until I put a square of tape on it to stop it.

Neither if those would stop me buying a third one if this one I have here ever breaks though...

I bought 2 at Meyers on sale for $40.00 bucks each some years back... Never had a problem with the first one I hooked up.... The other is still in storage....

I also bought a new 5 gallon air tank for $13.00 that I hooked up piggie back... Once both tanks are filled, you can air brush all day long to your heart's content... ??

On 6/21/2020 at 7:47 PM, CabDriver said:

In the interests of balance, now I’ve thought about it for an hour, the pressure adjustment knob got stiff on mine after a while and that little pin on the red plastic whatever it is on the tank rattles and irritated me until I put a square of tape on it to stop it.

I think the red thing on the tank might be a pressure safety "pop off" valve?

12 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

What Brand  is the compressor ?

Mine says Model Expo on the side - but I’ve seen identical ones with different brand names - I’m sure they’re made in their thousands by a factory somewhere and rebranded by whoever’s selling them that week 

17 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Mine says Model Expo on the side - but I’ve seen identical ones with different brand names - I’m sure they’re made in their thousands by a factory somewhere and rebranded by whoever’s selling them that week 

Thanks. I just looked on Amazon and you are right The same one with different brand names.

E Bay was the cheapest but at least with Amazon there is some recourse if there are problems. 

My youngest son has one just like it, without the tank.  It works very well.  I wish he had the tank.  For that price on the compressor and tank, I am tempted to buy one.  If I only had the storage space in my small apartment for it when not in use.  Hmm, I've got to figure out a place for it.

I am curious how durable & sufficient the packing is and whether it can survive the rough handling during shipping. 

@Monty, please let us know how it is packaged, and its condition upon arrival.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:39 PM, GeeDub said:

I am curious how durable & sufficient the packing is and whether it can survive the rough handling during shipping. 

@Monty, please let us know how it is packaged, and its condition upon arrival.

The compressor arrived Monday night via FedEx and I didn't see anything that concerned me.   The outer packing box (shown below on the left) listed a mfr name of Zeny, while the product's box (under the compressor) lists it as model # TC 20T.  

bb44.jpg.12f8a53f0023bc8a51a9ffee8ee64bb9.jpg

Suffice it to say I don't have any complaints.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, jchrisf said:

Is it quiet?

Haven't fired it up yet as I'm reconfiguring my hobby room, but the review above lists its quiet operation as one of its assets.