Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Delage D8 - 120S Aerosport, 1/24

Pico

Finally finished after a long and difficult build process. I started with a 1/43rd diecast of the car, scanned it, output it in 1/24th, then modified that to be 3d printed. My Anycubic Photon is limited in size so I printed it in four major pieces; the rear body, front fenders, hood and chassis plate. It replicates a real car, I hope. Or is close. This one: https://www.coopertechnica.com/1937-Delage-D8-120-Aerosport-Coupe.php

DSCN9550.JPG

DSCN9548.JPG

I'm impressed, shows extreme dedication!  Sweet classic aero design.  The tiny taillights are cute, I had similar size on the Mercedes 170V, holding to paint was fun.  Is there a WIP thread?  Also, any plans to build a resto-rod? ?

19 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm impressed, shows extreme dedication!  Sweet classic aero design.  The tiny taillights are cute, I had similar size on the Mercedes 170V, holding to paint was fun.  Is there a WIP thread?  Also, any plans to build a resto-rod? ?

No WIP thread, it was a long process with some setbacks . 

Amazing way to build, and a beautiful job on the Delage. I hope this represents the future of our hobby. It opens the door to creating so many more subjects in scale. Is this scanning technology capable of scanning a 1:1 car?

About 5 years ago I attempted photographing full size cars but was unsuccessful. Here are the limitations of scanning technology: the item  being scanned cannot have any bright reflections; those screw up the mesh produced by the software. Therefore the item must have a matt finish and the light mush be "flat" - no single sources of light as the sun or spotlight. Auto manufacturers and professional scanners have that technology, but we hobbyists don't. I strip the paint from the model, and paint with primer, make marks on it so the software can coordinate between the photos. I take about 60 photos and upload to Regard3D, then get a mesh from that. Then in Sketchup, modify the mesh for printing. 

Delage Aerosport mesh being corrected.png

DSCN9458.JPG

17 hours ago, Pico said:

About 5 years ago I attempted photographing full size cars but was unsuccessful. Here are the limitations of scanning technology: the item  being scanned cannot have any bright reflections; those screw up the mesh produced by the software. Therefore the item must have a matt finish and the light mush be "flat" - no single sources of light as the sun or spotlight. Auto manufacturers and professional scanners have that technology, but we hobbyists don't. I strip the paint from the model, and paint with primer, make marks on it so the software can coordinate between the photos. I take about 60 photos and upload to Regard3D, then get a mesh from that. Then in Sketchup, modify the mesh for printing. 

Delage Aerosport mesh being corrected.png

Amazing!

Question?  The mesh is full of random triangles, but the rear part of the roof seems to have orderly arranged, and evenly distributed triangles.  Was that part of the roof "cleaned up" by you?

12 hours ago, peteski said:

Amazing!

Question?  The mesh is full of random triangles, but the rear part of the roof seems to have orderly arranged, and evenly distributed triangles.  Was that part of the roof "cleaned up" by you?

I made two scans of this. The first comprises the larger polygons, making a rather low resolution mesh, not the best but I knew I was going to do plenty of body work. However the rear of the car was very poorly defined, so I made a second scan; those are the smaller polygons. I "welded" the two scans together. The orderly arranged polys are my work, because the 1/43rd scanned model was off and I needed a transition between the scans. I used the coachbuilders drawing, paced in the background, and a side view to determine the shape. 

Hi Pico,

very crafty to mix several scans! :)
I have read that some people use a video projector to "draw" on the model they take a picture of. What do you think?

Otherwise, what glue do you use to assemble the 4 pieces?

45 minutes ago, RVB said:

Hi Pico,

very crafty to mix several scans! :)
I have read that some people use a video projector to "draw" on the model they take a picture of. What do you think?

Otherwise, what glue do you use to assemble the 4 pieces?

5 minute epoxy to glue it together. I am uncertain about the video projector method - never heard of it. Possible you mean using a laser beam? There is a method, that I tried 5 years ago, using a thin laser beam to define the contours of a model and photograph that many times, then software would make a mesh from the contour images. I could not make it work. I use Regard3D; http://www.regard3d.org/