Model Cars Magazine Forum

GT40 roadster kit from Italy (DDP)

vamach1

So as if I did not have enough GT40's to build here's one I have wanted to round out the many version of the Lola inspired Ford powered race car that only saw a few converted to a roadster version.  The kit is designed to be built as a curbside but what's the fun in that - right?  The first thing I did was grab one of my Fujumi kits to see if the MKI chassis (not the MKII kit) would fit instead of the very generic chassis that comes with the resin kit.  The good news is it looks like it will but I may have to use a combination of parts for the interior.  The other unfortunate part is I'll have to cut up a Fujumi body for the donor lower sills that are part of the DDP chassis unlike a Fujumi kit.  Not to worry as I have a pretty good supply of them.  As this resin kit is designed like the Fujumi MKII (no engine and the back does not open) I have the same dilemma as I idid with the CMA transkit - do I add a HRM or other resin engine or not "waste" one because most of it will be hidden.  So like the CMA Gulf GT40 it will probably be another parts bin engine but I laid out various parts from a Fujumi kit (some of which are the same as in the DDP kit) to get an idea of where to go with this project which at this point I am treating as an expensive transkit one off build.

IMG_8113.JPG

IMG_8114.JPG

IMG_8119.JPG

On 6/22/2020 at 3:10 PM, cobraman said:

Looks like a very nice kit.

There are really not any viable alternatives besides some old slot cars.  It’s too bad it was not designed to be easily compatible with the thousands of Fujumi GT40 kits but I can understand some people want a simplier build and everything in one box.

Edited by vamach1
Not

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Long over due in my opinion.  Thanks for sharing the photos of the parts layout.  

Yes and thanks Gary. The cream colored resin, photo etch, wheels and tires, some vacuum formed windows, the decals and some cast metal parts come with the DDP kit.  It reminds me of an enlarged 1/43 Tenariv kit (picture below) since there is no engine and the bottom of the “kit” chassis has zero detail.  Nonetheless I am the first kid on my block to buy one ?.  As I said before having “experimented” with the CMA and Thunder Valley transkits hopefully this project will at least show what is possible with some parts swapping instead of paying through the nose for a 55 year sold slot car body. ?

A0EB4683-B620-4FD9-B6F3-5C75B6878DB8.jpeg

A00A9B85-61C1-4845-AC6E-57B2322898DE.jpeg

2 hours ago, keyser said:

This is probably old news but it's on the block soon. 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-359641/1965-ford-gt-competition-prototype-roadster/

If a hundred And twenty two of us chip in maybe we could bid on it and own it each for three days a year. ?   I guess I will have to settle for the 1/24 and 1/43 ones. ?. At least I got to drive a MkI made by Safir for only a few minutes.

47 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

If a hundred And twenty two of us chip in maybe we could bid on it and own it each for three days a year. ?   I guess I will have to settle for the 1/24 and 1/43 ones. ?. At least I got to drive a MkI made by Safir for only a few minutes.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/indy-roadart-2020/collections/john-atzbach-collection/page/all/

Some stuff here we all like. Stunning stuff. You'll be lost for hours down this rabbit hole. :D

I'm up for a group buy. 

I was about to complain about those gold colored wheels as restored as not being prototypically correct but went to my files and low and behold while a little too bright for my tastes they are correct.

1399153362_Ford_GT40_1965_15_GT109_Ligier-Trintigant_023.JPG.a2bff52bc2c87d8d491e846cc528d78b.JPG

Guess I need to change the color on my old narrowed Monogram model then.

GT40_2.JPG.087a4ecc00d7b64538d94358ef4d054a.JPG