Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari Testarossa 1:24 90s Magic!

Funkychiken

Nice start. This is a lovely kit. I built it as a teenager, and its still on my shelf now.

I remeber going to the NEC motor show as a kid in 1984 and seeing the Testarossa for the first time. I was absolutely blown away.

3 hours ago, harti20 said:

My favourite car of all times. I also have this kit in my stash but don't dare building it yet. 

Will follow this build with great interest :)

Mine too! Wonder how much you can get the real thing for these days?

• 4 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 6:35 PM, Italianhorses said:

TR gotta be red, come on!

Yes you are right, has to b red

On 6/30/2020 at 7:23 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

I like the maroon colour on the bottom left. Pale gold is an interesting one!

this is one of the few ferraris that looks great in ALL the colours!

On 7/1/2020 at 6:52 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

This looks a good build. There was (is?) a company in Italy named Robustelli that did nice sets of photo e.etched logos and windscreen wipers for the Testarossa in 1/24 scale.

I couldn't find it! But i'm after a quick build here! It's already taken months to get this far

3 hours ago, Beamerman said:

I love these old school kits. I build the 512 10 years ago. Its a great Kit. Have fun!

Tamiya never made a 512. And "these old school kits" easily put to shame the modern Revell or AMT kits.

5 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I bought the Robustelli PE parts about 25 years ago. I expect Robustelli may no longer exist if you cannot find them.

I am pretty sure Robustelli are long gone. They were never really all that great in the first place anyway. Where they were irreplaceable was the 1:18 scale diecast. They made kits that would transform a Bburago toy into a decent model. Simply because back then (late '80s, early '90s) there were no high end diecast models. 

17 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Exhaust system ready.. this didn't go as planned, but it's turned out OK, im not going to try to get the silver lines on the cyl heads

20201117_230553.jpg

20201115_225355.jpg

Great kit you have started there. Few pointers if I may.

I would join Alex on the color. A Testarossa has to be red. Altho I would agree with you, it's one of those cars that look great in any color. Except in yellow. I grew up with yellow Testarossa near my house. As much as I loved the car, it just did not look right in yellow. 

About your engine parts. Considering how these cars were used and maintained to this day, you will not find one with engine parts in the colors you used. The valve covers and the red parts on top of the plenums need to be flat red, not glossy. And then the block and the plenums themselves should be just a plain flat aluminum. A very light dull looking almost white color. If you have, or can get, a spray can of Tamiya AS12 - Bare Metal Silver, it would be the perfect color for it. And I would not use any wash or anything. These engines never got oily or dirty or anything like that. 

About photoetched parts, there is plenty to be had on e-bay. Just search the seller "globaltoy" and search "ferrari" in his store. It is in China, but buy with confidence. Good seller I never had issues with. A couple of sheets of his emblems would cover your Ferrari builds for quite some time. I personally would stay away from photo etched wipers. They are total pain to fold to create a 3d shape and then the plastic kit part from Tamiya, still looks more realistic. I would just hand paint the mufflers with Detail Master Stainless Steel buffing metalizer and rub it out. 

Have fun building this kit, which with not much effort can be greatly detailed. 

• Like 1

Ferrari heat shielding has a waffling pattern to it. I found that the foil liners on Marlboro cigarette packs is a very close scale match. When I calculated it is was with an 1/4 inch. I had a buddy that still smoked and had him save me a few. Goes on very easily with white glue, or rubber cement. It has been responsible for at least two wins in shows that I know of, the overall look is stunning. Good luck with the rest  of the build the start is amazing. 

Nice start Atin! I've just gotten around to taking under glass pics of my build I finished earlier this year. I found it a pretty challenging project, but it taught me a lot & it increased my love for the car. Definitely one I want to do again, or maybe the Fujimi 512TR. Will be following ?