Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari Testarossa 1:24 90s Magic!

Funkychiken

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/20/2020 at 10:09 PM, Pete75 said:

Nice start Atin! I've just gotten around to taking under glass pics of my build I finished earlier this year. I found it a pretty challenging project, but it taught me a lot & it increased my love for the car. Definitely one I want to do again, or maybe the Fujimi 512TR. Will be following ?

On 12/6/2020 at 10:15 PM, Dann Tier said:

Yup, this kit takes me back. I have another one to build some day too. It seems like back then they didnt even try to hide the buck-shot scatter of ejection pin marks.

Looking forward to more, Bud!!!

Cheers Peter & Dann, I can't beleive it's been over a month since I posted! I'm sooo busy with my home renovation, it's killing me. 

But I have made some progress!

interior will be brown & cream, and the cam covers have been coated in matt. and the front suspension and steering is complete.

Cam covers painted red.jpg

Front steering assembled.jpg

Interior is going to be brown & cream.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 6:07 AM, peteski said:

I have this kit (bought years ago). Still unbuilt.  This thread is giving me inspiration and some good reference info.  It's looking good Atin!

Cheers Peter, kick it off in 2021!!!

I tried really hard to get nice and neat, straight HT leads on these head covers, but it wasn't to be, so they are a bit messy, but this is attempt number 3 and about 3 weeks of work! engine mostly assembled, I'm now thinking about adding detail to the engine bay. Not realistic detail, just a few wires and tubes to make it look busy.

Started on the body shell too, marked out the areas to sand with a sharpie, the only major flash was in the side air inlet, so not a real issue to sort out. I'm thinking to spray with the side vents unassembled - always risks a glue mess on finished paint, but I can't actually spray it properly assembled...

20210121_234723.jpg

20210124_121425.jpg

20210124_121435.jpg

20210124_221352.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Funkychiken said:

Cheers Peter, kick it off in 2021!!!

I wish it was that easy.  If I started another project, I woudl not have any space on my workbench to actually do any work. :)  Too many already (and not just model cars).

I noticed that you live in England, in Billericay. I'm in the New England part of the USA, and the town next to mine is named Billerica.  ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/13/2021 at 4:34 PM, slusher said:

Great looking interior color.

On 3/13/2021 at 3:22 AM, Dann Tier said:

The engine looks really good to me, and i really like the multi-kolor interior as well!!!

Thanks Guys, this one has been on the bench and is now ready for the body shell... 

I've added the fuel filler in the engine bay. 

20220802_172347.jpg

20220802_172337.jpg

20220802_172326.jpg

• Like 3

This is coming along nicely. I think you got the interior colours spot on.

With regards to the fuel filler, is that going to be attached to the body shell, just underneath the engine cover? IIRC Tamiya missed this small detail out of the kit. 

14 minutes ago, beeRS said:

This is coming along nicely. I think you got the interior colours spot on.

With regards to the fuel filler, is that going to be attached to the body shell, just underneath the engine cover? IIRC Tamiya missed this small detail out of the kit. 

They had no choice but to miss it. The fuel filler door on the TR is up on the rear hood's side buttresses. On the real car the filler neck goes up in the hallow of the buttress, accessible through a circular door on the side, which makes opening the engine bay unnecessary. Making this detail on the kit would be nearly impossible and odd looking. And Atin actually has made it way low, as it should get up way above the plenum level. 

KNVa6B.jpg
7xHOa8.jpg

5 hours ago, mrm said:

They had no choice but to miss it. The fuel filler door on the TR is up on the rear hood's side buttresses. On the real car the filler neck goes up in the hallow of the buttress, accessible through a circular door on the side, which makes opening the engine bay unnecessary. Making this detail on the kit would be nearly impossible and odd looking. And Atin actually has made it way low, as it should get up way above the plenum level. 

KNVa6B.jpg
7xHOa8.jpg

Agreed, I've made it low so that it doesn't interfere with the engine bay lid! 

Looks great!

That brown for the interior looks to be the exact brown they used!

One thing I think would look cool is between the exhaust manifolds, that line that runs in should be "baby blue" where it connects to the heads.

Easy brush paint to add, IF you wish.

There are 3 Testarossas here and they're all black!

Edited by dino246gt

• 3 months later...

This was primed, filled, sanded, primed, with Zero microfiller & Tamiya putty.

Then a few coats of Tamiya white primer from a spray can

Then Tamiya Red from the spray can

Followed by several light coats of Tamiya gloss from a spray can.

This is my first time using Tamiya Sprays ILO an airbrush.

It required a lot of sanding (high grades only) and polishing. Its still scratchy, not shiny, but shiny enough for me (my perfectionist days are long over.

Now the finicky bit of masking and painting black bits on the body, this is going to take some time!

20221206_215001.jpg

20221206_215022.jpg

• Like 1

Black with gold accents.  I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but this kit is the basis for one of my all time favorite builds.   Look closely and you can still see that most of it is Ferrari.  I didn't have any photos of the engine bay but the rear deck lid tilts up to show off the rear.   I may need to drag the kit out and do it again!

image.thumb.png.2b4c9e1273510562ae9d5792640995e9.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Black with gold accents.  I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but this kit is the basis for one of my all time favorite builds.   Look closely and you can still see that most of it is Ferrari.  I didn't have any photos of the engine bay but the rear deck lid tilts up to show off the rear.   I may need to drag the kit out and do it again!

image.thumb.png.2b4c9e1273510562ae9d5792640995e9.png

Wasn't this featured in Scale Auto Enthusiast or Car Modeler years ago?  Such an awesome build!  (Not to continue the thread hijack - very nice work on the current build, Atin!  Sharply defined and painted details are really turning into nice work! )

5 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Wasn't this featured in Scale Auto Enthusiast or Car Modeler years ago?  Such an awesome build!  (Not to continue the thread hijack - very nice work on the current build, Atin!  Sharply defined and painted details are really turning into nice work! )

It made several model magazines and won Best conversion at Tamiya/con.  Prize was a trip to Japan.  

Oh man! I’m an 80s kid through & through & the Testarossa has to be 1 of my all time favourites! Being a huge car fan & a TV junkie ( all the car shows back then ) I had to build this kit also ( same Tamiya Testarossa ) but had to do it in white, a replica of Sonny Crockett’s Testarossa. Not only that but I also had the 512 TR Blackstar ( Fujimi ) & the Koenig Special Edition, in my stats. So I decided to build all 3 at the same time! The Koenig is a “what if ?” Miami Vice was rebooted & Sonny still drove a Testarossa… but… it was updated & tuned, with modern material like CF 😉👍🏽
I’ve included a couple of pics without wanting to hijack your great thread. Just wanted you to know there’s heaps of Testarossa fans out there 👌🏽
Also being a Mopar guy I chose to do the Koenig in Octane Red & the 512TR in F8 Green. The Vice car is Bianco. 
They’re all still WIPs at this stage as I need time for the bench to finish them 😩👍🏽😂

Cheers Cliff 

DD5AD0A8-7F8F-4CBF-84D5-0F078CE12B78.jpeg