Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 58 impala bubble top custom

gseeds

Here’s a model I built for a on line contest, low rider was the theme, not wanting to build just another Lowrider I decided to do a full custom, starting again with a glue bomb Amt 58 impala built up a buddy of mine gave me , and combined with a Rear engine corvette Indy revell kit I put the two together and this is what came about, going with the motor in the back I put the hydraulic pumps in front under the hood , loads of body work plus extending the fins , cover in pearl white and cotton candy pink, wheels are 3D from my buddy Jeff out in Colorado, hope you like, thanks!

35F4D8A0-38F6-49FC-B238-F004528B2CDB.jpeg

B6E95073-95CC-4D25-A032-4D669278B332.jpeg

7D979E0C-757F-42BD-95C1-7CCFBA15AC18.jpeg

9BCE8986-25B0-4D06-92A2-725568BF5B4C.jpeg

0937C7A1-FE94-49FB-85BF-E04F87DBD524.jpeg

7012E05F-028A-4359-988E-7250992CA56C.jpeg

1653EA28-8535-49C0-99BE-7B21FBB5EED8.jpeg

3F26F1C5-EF01-4677-8FE7-B61659CD3E00.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, very different and well done..  The paint looks great.  I don't see the tail end of her, what does the backend look like?  Also, this would sure be difficult to get into, one would have to drop in from above I guess.  Very smooth custom, I love the cross pollination of the old body and new top and rear engine.  Well done.  

I'm glad you pointed out this was a '58 Chevy because other than the headlights it's hard to tell. I like the lower profile of the bubble top. The paint finish is very interesting. The colors all work well together, but the finish has a different appearance to it. The finish isn't the syrup clear that seems to be the norm, this is softer for lack of a better term but I like this way with what all else you have done. Killer looking wheels.  

4 minutes ago, espo said:

I'm glad you pointed out this was a '58 Chevy because other than the headlights it's hard to tell. I like the lower profile of the bubble top. The paint finish is very interesting. The colors all work well together, but the finish has a different appearance to it. The finish isn't the syrup clear that seems to be the norm, this is softer for lack of a better term but I like this way with what all else you have done. Killer looking wheels.  

Thanks espo, yeah the finish is not my usual high gloss , it’s a more satin like finish, when I first painted this model it was a high gloss and I put it aside while I work on the rest of the car, when it came time to put the body on the chassis I decided to reclear the body one more time , so I sanded it with like 2000 grit sand paper , when I did I noticed how the color looked very soft giving the finish a whole new look , I felt the Now softer colors fit the look of the build, So I left it with a sanded body , thanks for noticing!!!

• 2 weeks later...