Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1998 Ram Air Trans Am

mustang1989

This is my first real out of box build. I had been working on a Pro Stock Maverick for around 5 months and needed a break from it to just get something completed. I've been wanting to build this car for the last few years and figured that now might be a good time to break it out. There's not much in the way of AM for this kit so it was the perfect one to do an OOB build on. The only things that were added was an "AC Delco" decal on the oil filter, a Hot Rod Magazine in the passengers from seat with a picture of an older T/A on the cover and I robbed the dual outlet exhaust pipes from the Revell 2000 Camaro SS kit. Just couldn't build this car with the single outlet exhaust system like it came from the factory with.

The kit wasn't too bad but there were several fit issues with it starting with the chassis to body assembly. For some reason the glue adhesion didn't set up right at the rear of the car resulting in a slight twist. I made some bracing that went from the body down to the chassis and glued that in place to suck the chassis up on the side that got the lower part of the twist. Flash and mold lines were TERRIBLE on this thing. I spent ALOT of time getting rid of those and still didn't get them all. The front and rear facias fit great during the test fit and didn't want to cooperate at all during the assembly process. I got them as close as I could without disassembling the whole friggin' car to straighten everything out. Once I got the chassis sucked up in the back on the drivers side to where it was supposed to be I noticed that now there was a gap between the engine throttle body and the molded in intake duct on the body. I ended up cutting a piece of plastic and carving it to fit the gap there. The only other thing that I did with this car that needed to be done was that I lowered it about a scale inch or so all the way around to give it a more aggressive stance.

Anyways....here are the finished shots...….and now....back to the Maverick!!!

Edited by mustang1989

4 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking TA.  Besides the paint finish I like the texture of the fabric looking seats and the somewhat glossier dash panel. All the different shades of color on the engine look right. 

Preciate it Dave. Thanks for all the support in the build thread.

3 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanks Larry!! 

3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Great job, you nailed it!

Thank you as well Chris!! 

On 6/27/2020 at 9:58 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Glad to see that you bring the Trans-Am to Under Glass Joe!  It's a very nice "improved" OOB build and I hope it was a nice break from building your Maverick.  No matter what we build, the goal is to have fun on the bench and it looks like you had a great time with it!  Well done my friend!!!

Thanks a lot Francis. I'm very much looking forward to getting back to the Mav.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:13 PM, slusher said:

A real beauty and great interior!!

'Preciate it Carl. Thanks for droppin' in ol' buddy.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:16 PM, kelson said:

Turned out pretty low and mean!!.

Thanks for following along on the build Curtis and thanks for the kudos.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:57 AM, Tom99 said:

Nice.

Thanks Tom! 

16 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Very nice! Looks good in red, and that interior came out great!

Thanks for the comments Craig. I really had a blast with this one in the fact that I didn't go overboard with it. I just simply.....built the kit.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:27 AM, crazyjim said:

Super looking build.  I love the interior.

Thanks Jim. That interior was one of the more fun parts of the build for me.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:18 PM, KWT said:

Very nicely done Joe. You made this one look dang fine

Good to see you Jeremy and thanks.

21 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

It worked out nicely, well done for persevering with it! I think I'd have given up and consigned it to the parts box.....

Thanks Nigel. Over the years I've learned to hang with it no matter how tough it gets. I can think of only one kit that I've given up on since I've gotten back into the hobby and that's because I got overzealous with the cutting and hacking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 6:47 AM, Dann Tier said:

Turned out KILLER, Bud!!!!

Thanks Dann! 

On 7/20/2020 at 7:45 AM, Dodge Driver said:

Great job on everything here. You handled the intake misalignment perfectly.  I have the 2000 Camaro SS kit languishing for that very problem. 

Well done!

Thank you as well Frank. Yeah I slept on that one a day or so trying to figure that one out. That was the one thing that I just couldn't leave alone and it would've stuck out like a sore thumb.

On 7/20/2020 at 5:25 PM, RAMBENNA said:

sweet build, looks great, you did a nice job

'Preciate that Cliff.

On 7/21/2020 at 12:08 PM, Mattilacken said:

Great work on that kit! Looks sweet!

Thanks Anton.

ALL: I apologize for the late responses. Forum time has been lacking for the last few weeks due to work kicking my tail. When it slows down a little I'll be on here a bit more.

39 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Dann! 

Thank you as well Frank. Yeah I slept on that one a day or so trying to figure that one out. That was the one thing that I just couldn't leave alone and it would've stuck out like a sore thumb.

'Preciate that Cliff.

Thanks Anton.

ALL: I apologize for the late responses. Forum time has been lacking for the last few weeks due to work kicking my tail. When it slows down a little I'll be on here a bit more.

I feel that all too well....i've been gone to with outside construction projects.