Model Cars Magazine Forum
cooltoys1

AMT ORIGINAL ISSUE 57 CHEVY KIT 3 IN 1 WANTED

Posted (edited)

LOOKING FOR the orginal issue, 3 in 1 kit of the 57 Chevy in minty condition. Box must be near mint and contents munt unbuilt. For my Dad , who had one when he was younger, would be a gift for his birthday coming up.  Will trade dearly or?

Yeah, i know...Ebay... All BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH at high prices for garbage.

Edited by cooltoys1

I have this one. But, it's a second issue I believe.

20200627_193028-1.jpg.d5a4567bb65937f3e1688c48a93b014d.jpg

Good luck...in forty years of collecting, and twenty years of watching eBay (though not for this particular kit), I don't think I have seen an absolutely mint one.  First issue '57 Fords are nearly as tough, but those do turn up on occasion.

Posted (edited)

Unless he's a true collector, you might just want to find a box in good condition.

After all, I'm sure it's mostly the box art he remembers.

You could always fill the box with the modern kit, (with full disclosure to your father of course) but unless he's a real collector looking for an investment to possibly gain value down the road, (and that's not a given) there's really no point in looking for a complete, un-built original issue kit that you might never find.

It's just the same '57 Chevy that's been re-issued over and over again over the years.

It's not like it's a rare, one time issue annual kit that hasn't resurfaced in 60 years.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's just the same '57 Chevy that's been re-issued over and over again over the years.

It's not like it's a rare, one time issue annual kit that hasn't resurfaced in 60 years.

Steve

This kit is not the exact same one every reissue. Like a lot of kits from the early days of the hobby, this one had several mild custom and wild custom parts that have gradually disappeared over the years. After the first three (or maybe four - not exactly sure) issues, the wild custom parts were deleted from the kit.  Eventually, at some point in the late 90s or early 2000s all of the custom and race parts were removed from the kit and it could only be built as a stock vehicle.

I agree with Mark. Finding an early issue that has not been messed with in the last 50+ years will be tough. 

All of the Sixties issues (except the Elegance Series) have all of the original customizing parts, and the tube of putty, sheet of sandpaper, and peel-and-stick upholstery material.  The green and black Pepper Shaker pictured above is the last Sixties issue.  The turquoise Pepper Shaker is the one with the Stylizing parts removed.  You have a minor chance of finding one of the green and black Pepper Shaker kits mint in box, the others are much less likely.  If by chance you track down a first issue kit, be prepared to step up.

Posted (edited)

I suppose that the customizing parts might be an issue.........if you're a collector or planning on building it.

If it's just for sentimental purposes, none of it is really all that important.

Steve

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I suppose that the customizing parts might be an issue.........if you're a collector or planning on building it.

Steve

I would really like to see Round 2 reissue this kit for the 400th time but with the original full-custom parts.  I have scoured model shows for the past several years and have scrounged most of the major part to build this custom.  Some of these older original full customs were pretty wild and now in my twilight years of building I would like to try my hand at build them.  I have the '61 Galaxie in work right now; the bubbletop is from the Monogram 58 T-Bird.

DSC00374.JPG

DSC00381.JPG

DSC00382.JPG

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Yes, it IS important. If you pay for an original issue kit, you don't want an old box with a modern kit inside. There are differences between original issues and reissues. 

For instance, Round2 reissued the Pepper Shaker not too long ago. Would it be right if I stuck the contents from that kit into my original box? Of course not. My original Pepper Shaker has things the reissue doesn’t like the tube of putty , sandpaper and brochures. It also has ALL of the custom parts. 

The Round 2 reissue is an exact copy of the second Pepper Shaker issue from 1972.  Unlike the first (green and black car on the box) issue, the second one did not, and does not, have all of the customizing parts.  The '57 Ford was revised in a similar manner around that time also.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Yes, it IS important. If you pay for an original issue kit, you don't want an old box with a modern kit inside. There are differences between original issues and reissues.

Yes, I understand all of that, but that's not at all what I'm talking about.

The point is that this kit is being searched for as a gift for Jay's father.

If Jay's father is not an all out collector interested in an "investment", or a builder who plans on building the kit, it's really of no consequence whatsoever if the items in the box are original to the box or not.

You can either spend $350.00 for a pristine vintage kit with all of the original contents that will sit on a shelf in perpetuity, or you can spend $35.00 on a nice original box and fill it with a more modern version of the kit.

Personally, If it were just for sentimental value, and I had no plans of building or selling it down the road, I'll go with the $35.00.

I'm not here to dissuade Jay from buying exactly what he is searching for, (good luck) I'm just offering an alternative to spending a small fortune on a decoration.

If his father would be disappointed by anything other than an absolutely untouched original, by all means, happy hunting.

Steve 

If you're serious about wanting an all original, unbuilt kit Jay, you can pick this one up on ebay right now for a "buy it now" price of $174.99.

Box is not in top shape, but the contents appear to be all there and on the trees.

s-l1600.jpg

Then, you could spend another ? and get this box, also offered on ebay.

Probably won't do much better than that.

s-l1600.jpg

Steve