Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

The next one will be this International 4300. It will be brown with the kit's decals. It will be a daycab with possibly some sort of headache rack. I am planning to use all Tamyia paints from primer to clear to see if I can get a decent paint job for once.

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to be cool..... don't forget to fix the front axle ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

Going to be cool..... don't forget to fix the front axle ! 

What is the issue with the front axle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, landman said:

What is the issue with the front axle?

ether it's too far back or to far forewords and does not line up with the wheel well on the hood . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

try this !

 

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on the chassis. I am considering giving it a 3406, although it likely wasn't available then. Speaking of engines, it is intereting to note that what they describe on the box.as an International V8 is actually a V903

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Typical Cornbinder engine work in progress lol. 

Looks Great 

Nice looking Chatterpillar  you have don't forget to adjust those mechanical valves lol. 

Edited by Vince66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, landman said:

Working on the chassis. I am considering giving it a 3406, although it likely wasn't available then. Speaking of engines, it is intereting to note that what they describe on the box.as an International V8 is actually a V903

 

 

 

The 3406 was available in 75. This brochure is labeled 11/74. I plan to build one with a 3408 based on a truck that I saw at a truck show.

 

1861203321_IH4300spec.jpg.0b7260baf8cb451ad8ce4db00969e6ca.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

The 3406 was available in 75. This brochure is labeled 11/74. I plan to build one with a 3408 based on a truck that I saw at a truck show.

Thanks Brian. i had looked for that info but couldn't find it. Also, my former brother in law had both a 4270 and a 4370. the first one had a V903 and the other one had what he called a 525 which I assume refers to the power, yet I don't see that there. However, his was closer to 77-78. Was a 525 an NTC475?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No, Tamiya TS-69 Deck Brown is flat.  The good new is if you hit it with a couple of coats of Tamiya TS-13 Clear it'll gloss right up. 

I like the planned change to the 3408.

Edited by Jim B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jim B said:

No, Tamiya TS-69 Deck Brown is flat.  The good new is if you hit it with a couple of coats of Tamiya TS-13 Clear it'll gloss right up. 

I like the planned change to the 3408.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, landman said:

Thanks Brian. i had looked for that info but couldn't find it. Also, my former brother in law had both a 4270 and a 4370. the first one had a V903 and the other one had what he called a 525 which I assume refers to the power, yet I don't see that there. However, his was closer to 77-78. Was a 525 an NTC475?

If I'm not mistaken the two 525 engines from that era would have either been a 12v-71T Detroit or most likely a KTA Cummins. Both of these offered 525hp ratings. While these aren't listed on this brochure, they may have been available in another year model or a very special order. "Supposedly" the 4300 that I saw with the 3408 was factory, but it was said that only a few of those were built. I've not found a listing that shows one available though.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

If I'm not mistaken the two 525 engines from that era would have either been a 12v-71T Detroit or most likely a KTA Cummins. Both of these offered 525hp ratings. While these aren't listed on this brochure, they may have been available in another year model or a very special order. "Supposedly" the 4300 that I saw with the 3408 was factory, but it was said that only a few of those were built. I've not found a listing that shows one available though.

This might be it.

KTA 600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Took it out back to enjoy the nice day.
  • Pieceing back together the engine. part of it once lived in the engine shop diorama.
  • Yep, it has the setback. I imagine one has to cut the tabs to move it forward.
  • Somehow the oil pan has disappeared, so I cast one from a spare

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work on the engine.  Your work area looks quite relaxing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE:    " I imagine one has to cut the tabs to move it forward."

It takes a bit more than that.  You won't be able to gain enough with just the front axle mount area on the springs in the kit.

I had to "extend" the front axle mount surface forward by 0.100".

 

 

 

99297638_3167095363347822_6673647633384341504_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice engine block Pat!  You must be a specialist in that area...  It's a cool project and I agree with James about your new work bench!!!   By the way, I cannot leave without mentioning how I find that the members of this forum are competent and knowledgeable (including you of course)... very impressive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Very nice engine block Pat!  You must be a specialist in that area...  It's a cool project and I agree with James about your new work bench!!!   By the way, I cannot leave without mentioning how I find that the members of this forum are competent and knowledgeable (including you of course)... very impressive!

Thank you sir. This will make you smile , you being master machinist and all.

IMG_4938.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, landman said:

Thank you sir. This will make you smile , you being master machinist and all.

LOL... But it is always a good idea to machine the top of the engine block perfectly flat in order to have a good seal!   Don't forget to do the same treatment on the head(s). 👌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat , Looks like you have a good start on this project !

 

  Be Well

  Gator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Marc. When I set up the block for the diorama I had cut off rhe molded-in starter. So i had to make one. Added a few lines as per some ref photos. This engine appears to not have a turbo.

IMG_0051.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice touch Pat!  What I like the most about semi truck engines is the overall details of the molded kit parts in comparison with the ones one the same scale cars kits.  I may be wrong on this statement, but I think you are the right guy to agree or disagree... 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice touch Pat!  What I like the most about semi truck engines is the overall details of the molded kit parts in comparison with the ones one the same scale cars kits.  I may be wrong on this statement, but I think you are the right guy to agree or disagree... 😉

There a whole series of articles on how to add even more. there are some guys here who add all the air brake lines as well. I might attempt that on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...