Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Custom Automotive Laquers

93Z34

I have been prepping the body for my 70 Challenger kit for awhile now. I had chosen Panther Pink for the color and was optomistic all was going fine....

However, that theory was shot to hell when I laid the color coat on the body this afternoon. The paint crazed something wicked on this body and has rendered it useless. I now have another parts kit to add to the collection. :x

What kind of luck have y'all had with this line of spraypaint? My luck with it has been absolutely terrible and I'm wondering if it isn't the pastic these kits are being molded in now rather than the paint. I am open to any and all suggestions at this point.

Brian,

Cannot say I have had those problems. I have even sprayed the new Testors paints on the new soft Revell plastic with no crazing. Maybe it was your application methods? Don't know maybe someone else can shed some light. Typically I'd spray two or three light coats then a heavy coat or two depending on the coverage I need. Anyway, dont give up just yet...

Good luck,

Len Geisler 8)

I have been using Testors Laquer for some time now and have had no problems with it. As with Len, I mist on 2 or 3 coats Then a couple of color coats. I use Dupli-color primer. I cant understand why it crazed on you. I think I would try it on a scrap body following the directions on the can letter for letter.

RONR

Hey brother, personally I have not had any problems with that line of paints and I can guarantee you is not the paint. What type or brand of primer are you using? Are you giving your primer enough time to dry? Personally I like to give my primers 24 hours for drying. Are you misting your first coats? It could be a million reasons but don't put it away, sand it and restart bro, you might have better luck the next time around. Good luck.... :roll:

Sounds like you might have used an enamel base primer. I use only Plasti-Kote or Dupli-Color lacquer primers, and have had nothing but great luck with the Testor's Model Master Lacquers. In fact, it's about the only paint I'll use now!

Don't toss the kit into the parts bin! The body should strip just fine with CSC or oven cleaner. Especially since the laquer is fresh.

ive been using the MM lacquers for awhile too...i use the PlastiKote white sandable primer on all of my cars and the only problem ive had out of the MM paints is the Mopar Plum Crazy...i painted a 71 GTX with it and wasnt happy with the results...soaked it for 1 week in CSC and it didnt budge the paint a bit so i ended up buying another kit...other than that i have had no problems with their line of lacquer paints at all but i mostly use Dupli-Color automotive paints