Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Chevelle Wagon

Spottedlaurel

Revell kit, built late 1980s style. WIP here:

50055459366_b29ab9aa5c_b.jpg

1:25 Revell 1966 Chevelle Wagon kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I'm going to get this out of the way first and apologise for the chrome strip on the bonnet edge, I didn't realise it would sit up in the middle until it was firmly attached and it didn't want to come apart again. That being said, if I'd made it parallel with the grille it would have left a gap above it. Ah well....

50055459116_26d66117fd_b.jpg

Painted Tamiya TS Camel Yellow from an aerosol, wheels from the Monogram 1937 Ford, bucket seats from the 1966 EL Camino (thanks to TimJ), other odds and ends from the parts box. Suspension lowered as much as possible without having to cut the inner arches.

50054881178_9006804286_b.jpg

Loosely built as a 300 rather than a Malibu, so chrome panel areas infilled, less brightwork and other mod's like badges shaved, door handles removed etc.

50055459271_a5141b3438_b.jpg

50055459931_3a338ceff5_b.jpg

50054880768_23ec18397a_b.jpg

50055706222_8436da193e_b.jpg

50055460066_e08f129ffb_b.jpg

50055716817_e01458122f_b.jpg

50050456578_37fefe4c62_b.jpg

A quick Cars and Coffee Sunday morning meet (with appropriate social distancing!) with the other American builds I've done over the years that are still complete:

50054881483_18e8d7ff55_b.jpg

1:24/25 American kits by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

50055459716_ca04afb268_b.jpg

1:24/25 American kits by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

As ever, it's not perfect and I suspect those who know this model better than me are cringing at some of my detailing, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. It matches the concept I had in my head and I'll probably build a similar-style companion to it at some point.

Thanks for looking!

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool in School Bus Yellow. That would be the coolest school bus in the world! :lol: Well done and model on! B)

A good friend of mine would have called it "Handrail Yellow". LoL

Once again, I think it's a fantastic wagon!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! It was an enjoyable thing to do (and I'm happy to keep up my completion rate of one model/month).

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool in School Bus Yellow. That would be the coolest school bus in the world! :lol: Well done and model on! B)

Thanks! Coming from this side of the Atlantic, that association didn't strike me - as a back story let's say that the owner worked for the local school bus repair facility, spent most of the budget on those fancy billet wheels and the car got sprayed up using 'leftovers'.....

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

A good friend of mine would have called it "Handrail Yellow". LoL

Once again, I think it's a fantastic wagon!

Oddly enough a factory project I recently worked on has its handrails, doors, feature panels etc painted in a similar colour as it matches the yellow in their logo. I noticed it when I walked around there the other day. Now it's reminding me of work, I'll concentrate on the school bus association!

Beautiful 66 Wagon. I don't know why but it reminds me of the Monogram 37 Ford (orange on the box) perhaps the wheels are from this kit? I started one back in 91... I actually painted it yellow too but I never finished it... got rid of it in 92 and just got it back last year...  exactly like it was when I last seen it lol...

Screenshot_20190128-101252.jpg

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

Oooops! Sorry about that! LoL

?

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

This turned out great!!! The cross ram big block is a huge selling point for me.  I do love me some wagons!!! 

Thanks Joe. Just random bits from the parts box on the engine, I didn't have a clue if I was installing the carbs the right way round......

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Beautiful 66 Wagon. I don't know why but it reminds me of the Monogram 37 Ford (orange on the box) perhaps the wheels are from this kit? I started one back in 91... I actually painted it yellow too but I never finished it... got rid of it in 92 and just got it back last year...  exactly like it was when I last seen it lol...

Thank you, and that's exactly where the wheels came from! I built it in the early '90s and for some reason it ended up in bits, with the wheels in another box. As soon as I found them I thought they would work with a bright, solid colour. I may resurrect the '37 soon as it's survived the years pretty well - you should give yours a go!

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Very nice looking wagon.  Subtle changes but still very eye-catching.

Thanks Ricky, I enjoyed planning and making those little changes.

• 2 weeks later...