Model Cars Magazine Forum

T.V. car/truck goofs. Mistakes Ect....

This Is from a episode of T.J.Hooker. The International truck that was used before the "crash" scene was a 4070 A The truck in the picture was disguised  as a 4070 a but is actually a Transtar II (See head light pans which are square, and the door handle is at the bottom of the door. The second photo is clear to see the round headlight pans, and the door handle under the door window.

In the episode of the Dukes of Hazzard  where Boss Hogg races Uncle Jessie , Bo ,Luke, Daisy and Cooter help Uncle Jessie defeat Boss Hogg ( Boss  had Roscoe put Moonshine in Jessie' s trunk for the race. It is not only seen but heard when in this episode Luke opens the passenger door on the General get's in and shut's the door  (doors were supposed to be welded shut on this one).

snapshot20100208182530.jpg

snapshot20100208180221.jpg

Edited by ranma

There are definitely quite a few cases of obvious substitutions for crashing vehicles and stunts in the older tv shows. I know at least a few times in the A-Team they used Ford and GM vans with just a paint job and red wheels in quick cuts for jumps and such. A more modern example would be in the movie C.H.I.P.S. where a Chevy Malibu was used as a stand in for a Chevy SS when the vehicle gets torched.

Ahh yes the A team. I recall that they even used an early 70 ford van in a scene where the van flies into the ocean. But here is one of the many as if one couldnt tale  it was a ford or in this case a older Chevy van.

a-team-van-jump-collage.jpg

Edited by ranma

I remember on an episode of Starsky and Hutch the bad guys were driving a 63 Impala and to throw the cops off they pulled in a garage to paint it. When it came out it was a 64.  Another episode not sure if this show a small Mercedes was blown up in a driveway but it really was a Mustang ll notch.

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

I remember on an episode of Starsky and Hutch the bad guys were driving a 63 Impala and to throw the cops off they pulled in a garage to paint it. When it came out it was a 64.

Plus there's a radio report about the missing car and the dispatcher says it's a '73 - and in the final explosion it's a '63 again. This was such a mess it even made local talk radio on WGN the next day.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

In the movie White lightning when Gator is driving the Ford with  a floor shift and he is going through the gears being chased by a cop. The next scene he pulls up to his folks house and grabs the column shift and puts the car in park.  

5 hours ago, ranma said:

Ahh yes the A team. I recall that they even used an early 70 ford van in a scene where the van flies into the ocean. But here is one of the many as if one couldnt tale  it was a ford or in this case a older Chevy van.

a-team-van-jump-collage.jpg

They used a Econoline (stub nosed like the 1/20 MPC kit) in that scene from the TV show. I seem to remember there were a number of times that they used the ‘72-‘77 m/y cargo vans on the show for the more severe stunts like in the bottom pic. That top one is from the movie from several years back, it died early in the movie, unfortunately.

In "Hardcastle and McCormick" the Coyote changes from 4-lug to 5-lug wheels from one scene to another.

In "The Brady Bunch Movie"  interior of the 72 Montego wagon changes from one shot too another when Greg and Marsha are stopped by the police.

4 hours ago, El Roberto said:

You ain't seen nothing till you watch some old WWII movies where they show three completely different aircraft being shot down  or a waste gunner shoots down a German fighter but they show gun camera film from a fighter.  

There's an old sci-fi movie with the first appearance of a Stealth aircraft!  When the planes take off to chase the UFO, they are F-86's.  But by the time they get to altitude, they've magically turned into F-94's. 

Proving that the Car Switch is nothing new:  "Mystery Science Theater 3000" used to run a lot of the old serials from the 1930's and Forties.  In many episodes, you see the bad guys roaring around a mountain road in a big Packard or Cadillac.  But when the car goes over the cliff...and bursts into flames, always...it's a much older car, like a Model T.

They do silly stuff with firearms also. Who has not seen someone with a 6 shot revolver fire 9 or 10 shots without reloading ? I saw a movie the other day where a girl was using a 12 ga. pump shotgun and she fired several shots and never once racked the slide !

1 hour ago, The Junkman said:

I believe I've read that "Dukes of Hazzard" nuked so many Chargers that by the end they were using AMC Matadors.  Couldn't prove it by me, never seen an episode.

No Matadors it was only about 300 Chargers mostly 69s and a few 68s, they were using models toward the end of the series minitures08.jpg.4aba83d401024c91f7401593aa821082.jpg

Duel used three different years of Valiants :

1970 with a "V-EIGHT" emblem visible on the front fender (a 1970-only embellishment)

1971 with the 225 Slant Six (used in most of the scenes -- the 'star car' )

1972 with the 225 Slant Six ( the 1972 & later side markers are seen in the added scenes )

All of the Valiants were FE5 Red , and all had the 1971-only , Plymouth-only deluxe wheel covers .

The 1972 model was necessary for the additional scenes which were filmed in c.spring 1972 . The Movie Of The Week release was aired in November 1971 ; no more 1971 cars available . 

There were two different tractors used as well . However , my knowledge of tractors is minimal-at-best ---- someone else more versed in those nuances may wish to chime in .

1970 V8 (note the emblem on the front fender)Duel-1972-valiant-Peterbilt_281_and_Peterbilt_351..jpg.303fe53f752af43761f8cf8fa115b80b.jpg

1972 (note the side marker lamp --- there's also a door edge moulding on this model) . 

Apparently answered my own question regarding the different tractors ( "Peterbilt 281" [1971 filming] , and "Peterbilt 351" [1972 additional scenes] ) .

Duel-1971-1970-valiant.jpg.fcbf98d5600d642fe52d920b0bd6b155.jpg