Model Cars Magazine Forum

T.V. car/truck goofs. Mistakes Ect....

Lots of movies where stuff like this happens... there was a chase in the movie 'Arlington Road' where Jeff Bridges was driving a Ford Contour, that seems to change from an early model ('95-97) to a later model ('98+) and back during the sequence.   Another one that was just way off as far as the year--the film 'The Debt' had a scene set at a W. German air force runway in 1966--there was a '66 Impala, and next to it..an early 80s Olds 88. 

My number one , all-time-favourite film The Blues Brothers has a tiny gaffe in respect to vehicles . While the majority of the film towed-the-line , there's one vignette wherein a cinema faux pas takes place : the start of the famous chase scenes . A grip of c.1974 Impala 9C1's are shown starting pursuit outside of the Palace Hotel Ballroom ; but , the remainder of the chase has the usual fleet of 1974-1977 Monaco & Royal Monaco Illinois State Police / Chicago PD cars .

Isn't there a scene in Blues Brothers where the back glass is shot out, only to reappear later?

I also like chase scenes where a wheel cover flies off, and around the next corner, it's back on the wheel.

Going waaaaaaaaaaay back, the silent movie "Wings" made in 1927 had a huge automotive gaffe. The early part of the movie takes place before the start of America's  involvement in WW1 so circa 1916. One of the heroes builds a Model T speedster but the car they use is from the early 1920s. 

Much newer was an episode of Jay Leno's Garage where they chronicle the build of his '66 Toronado with the Corvette frame under it. The opening scenes show them rolling a Toronado off of a trailer to begin the build. It's a 1967 Toronado!  Jay's car was at the Detroit Autorama and  I asked one of the GM booth guys about it. He said I was one of the few who caught that. It seems that they had already started to build the '66 before the filming began and they wanted to show the build from the beginning so they fudged it.

Edited by ZTony8

On 6/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, Mike999 said:

Proving that the Car Switch is nothing new:  "Mystery Science Theater 3000" used to run a lot of the old serials from the 1930's and Forties.  In many episodes, you see the bad guys roaring around a mountain road in a big Packard or Cadillac.  But when the car goes over the cliff...and bursts into flames, always...it's a much older car, like a Model T.

There was once a British TV series from the ‘60s, where the script called for a Jaguar Mk.I sedan to drive off a cliff and burst into flames. The stunt was done using the Jag, but for the next several years, many shows used the same footage in order to get a return on investment. To paraphrase the author, if you saw a white a Jag with bad brakes, you knew how it would end...

Continuity errors drive me insane, but I guess the average consumer doesn't mind (or even notice) But I get it. Some car crashes might push their budget too far, so they substitute. 

I hate, absolutely hate...movies and tv shows where a cop or bad guy will pull out a Glock and there's a sound effect added. Glocks dont have safeties to click, nor do they have hammers to cock. Also, every outdoor scene in a western US state has a stupid falcon or hawk screeching. 

2 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

I hate, absolutely hate...movies and tv shows where a cop or bad guy will pull out a Glock and there's a sound effect added. Glocks dont have safeties to click, nor do they have hammers to cock. 

I hate that, too. Also the sound of brass hitting the ground, when the ground is grass or sand or dirt or even (indoors) carpeting. 

Kinda like hearing car tires squealing on grass or dirt or mud or gravel. And it seems like some of these guys chirp the tires every time they go anywhere, even just to lunch. :lol:

The ABSOLUTE WORST example of this I ever saw was in the movie Pearl Harbor, where the B-25s are practicing short-field takeoffs. When the airplanes start off, the tires chirp! This is impossible, as AIRPLANE TIRES AREN'T CONNECTED TO ANY KIND OF MOTOR!!! They just roll or brake. (They can chirp on landing, but that's a different dynamic entirely.) 

On 7/1/2020 at 4:45 AM, Snake45 said:

Hey, it's better than nothing. 

Ford will sell you ballistic door panels on your Police Interceptor and has been for a while. Not perfect, but better than the door sheetmetal and the window glass. I ASSume that FCA has something similar available on the RAM, Charger, and Durango police package vehicles as well.

image.png.b406cb68dbe604fae63f328e92635971.png

TV series over here called Secret Army, based in Brussels during WW2 the story is about the escape lines for shot shown British airmen getting back to England,  in one scene there's a bakers van, a Citroen 2cv Fourgonette, which wasn't manufactured until 1951.

FB_IMG_1593768760784.jpg

9 hours ago, Rodent said:

Ford will sell you ballistic door panels on your Police Interceptor and has been for a while. Not perfect, but better than the door sheetmetal and the window glass. I ASSume that FCA has something similar available on the RAM, Charger, and Durango police package vehicles as well.

Interesting note about the LAPD requirement to withstand "special threat rounds," like 7.62 mm. They've been there and done that, in the Feb. 1997 North Hollywood Shootout.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

shootout.jpg

in a 1960's episode of the Saint, this episode is supposed to be based in East Germany,  in one scene you can see the Saint driving a Skoda 1000MB, then it drives into a wooded area,and then comes out as an earlier Octavia, then turns back into a 1000MB when he gets to the border

20200703_135052.jpg

20200703_135345.jpg

20200703_135427.jpg

20200703_135523.jpg

*always liked the detective in 'Attack of the Giant Tomatoes using the Motorola radio in his car with the microphone backwards, talk about product placement.

*Jet streams in Westerns

*Coiled cord phone in the 30's

*What is new are the gutted cars (no engine, gas tanks, etc.) that can be seen then exploding

*showing the explosive discharge tube under the car as it rolls over.

*seeing the ramps used for the car flipping off a parked car

Happy Fourth!

greg

DON'T HAVE A FIFTH ON THE FOURTH!

Edited by GLMFAA1
added information

These things drive me nuts. I think I would make a good continuity expert on movie sets. 

A more recent one I noticed was in the Netflix movie, 6 Underground. There is a very cool Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio with a McLaren Green wrap and a bunch of other mods. Including the ability to grow new mirrors and heal scratches. In the car chase (which is unusually long) it must have had at least 8 mirrors.

6-underground-trailer-packs-more-car-action-than-2-hours-of-hobbs-and-shaw-137981-7.jpg.85d668e6e0416a4d88ca2b62d629903a.jpg

6_undergroud_alfa_romeo-1.jpg.9c85909c26b701db1e5d4dc2088a0928.jpg

l-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-di-6-underground.jpg.e6265e93c364a1730302826a2c2e00e2.jpg

Talk about a Error filled movie Watch Black Dog  with Patrick  Swayze, Randy Travis, and Meat Loaf. From contact damage before making contact, A white/Volovo/ GMC that keeps repairing it's self, Rockets seen used to blow up said White/Volvo/GMC. Plus handing the main actor a letter that he was seen just holding seconds before, And many More! Note that a roll bar is visible on the red rig as well..

BD error.jpg

Edited by ranma

3 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

*What is new are the gutted cars (no engine, gas tanks, etc.) that can be seen then exploding

Not so new - the substitute Lamborghini that gets destroyed in The Italian Job (1969) has no engine.

I was always bugged by the car crusher scenes in James Bond and other movies where they crush the car into a 3 foot cube without taking out the engine, transmission, rear end or anything else that wouldn’t crush.  Even better when you put that one ton cubed Lincoln in the bed of a ranchero. 

But I still want to build a model of it some day.

76AAD7E2-29A3-46D4-A0FC-42DF1B184209.jpeg