Model Cars Magazine Forum

T.V. car/truck goofs. Mistakes Ect....

1 hour ago, FredRPG said:

I was always bugged by the car crusher scenes in James Bond and other movies where they crush the car into a 3 foot cube without taking out the engine, transmission, rear end or anything else that wouldn’t crush.  Even better when you put that one ton cubed Lincoln in the bed of a ranchero. 

But I still want to build a model of it some day.

They took out the Lincoln's engine, but were rude and didn't show it happening.  If you freeze the movie as the Lincoln is going into the crusher, you can see that it has no engine or transmission.  Also, if you watch closely, you can see that the "cubed Lincoln" changes its appearance quite a bit from the junkyard, to when it arrives back at Goldfinger's place.

Somebody on IMdb noticed this: "The Ford Ranchero that Oddjob uses to remove the remains of the Lincoln initially has blackwall tires and in the final scene where it passes the agent's T-Bird it has whitewalls. When it arrives back at Goldfinger's compound it has blackwalls again."

I was watching a rerun last night of the "Trans Am" series from a couple of years ago. They have a voice over trying, and I mean trying to explain the birth of the Muscle Car. The voice stated a bunch of facts as to the '49 Oldsmobile  88 being the start of it all. On the screen we're enjoying watching a '53 Oldsmobile being driven around. They had many other such miss ques. You would think that they could afford an automotive consultant to keep the facts straight.        

3 hours ago, FredRPG said:

I was always bugged by the car crusher scenes in James Bond and other movies where they crush the car into a 3 foot cube without taking out the engine, transmission, rear end or anything else that wouldn’t crush.  Even better when you put that one ton cubed Lincoln in the bed of a ranchero.

And don't forget, there was a million dollars worth of gold in the trunk of the Lincoln, and gold at that time was priced at about $35 an ounce--so do the math on THAT weight. :lol:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

And don't forget, there was a million dollars worth of gold in the trunk of the Lincoln, and gold at that time was priced at about $35 an ounce--so do the math on THAT weight. :lol:

And the Lincoln itself was more like 2 tons or more. That was a mighty Ranchero!

So I’m watching “Cars that Made America: part3” and they call this a Chevy. It doesn’t look like one to me, at least not a production one, but I can’t seem to find a pic online of this car. Am I wrong or did they goof? Anyone know what this is?

F0253454-E118-47C1-80C5-0E15FB516AA6.jpeg

4642592B-754D-442F-A266-D944F84C718D.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

It's a 1956 Mercury. The cars that made America series is an absolute joke. It's almost unwatchable if you have any knowledge of cars and automotive history. One could write a long book on how bad the writers/research people, directors and producers botched this up.

Makes one wonder how many other shows from the History/Discovery channel about general history, wars, their military vehicles and aircraft are similarly incorrect.

Edited by Phirewriter

8 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Make one wonder how many other shows from the History/Discovery channel about general history, wars, their military vehicles and aircraft are similarly incorrect.

The recent History Channel series "Grant" was well done, IMO.  But I was glad to see that channel doing anything other than its usual junk, space aliens and Pawn Dorks.  

I've seen many history shows where something like this happens:  the narrator is talking about the German invasion of Poland, which happened in September 1939. But the video clip running with the narration shows Tiger tanks, which didn't enter service until 1942, or Panthers which didn't appear until 1943.  

13 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

It's a 1956 Mercury. The cars that made America series is an absolute joke. It's almost unwatchable if you have any knowledge of cars and automotive history. One could write a long book on how bad the writers/research people, directors and producers botched this up.

Make one wonder how many other shows from the History/Discovery channel about general history, wars, their military vehicles and aircraft are similarly incorrect.

And they show "DeLorean" tearing around in a Buick.

20 hours ago, espo said:

I was watching a rerun last night of the "Trans Am" series from a couple of years ago. They have a voice over trying, and I mean trying to explain the birth of the Muscle Car. The voice stated a bunch of facts as to the '49 Oldsmobile  88 being the start of it all. On the screen we're enjoying watching a '53 Oldsmobile being driven around. They had many other such miss ques. You would think that they could afford an automotive consultant to keep the facts straight.        

The narrator was explaining that no fuel was getting to the throttle body on a car where they were installing an aftermarket fuel injection system.  Said no fuel was getting to the throttle body when there are clearly fuel rails and injectors in the intake runners.

1 minute ago, sfhess said:

The narrator was explaining that no fuel was getting to the throttle body on a car where they were installing an aftermarket fuel injection system.  Said no fuel was getting to the throttle body when there are clearly fuel rails and injectors in the intake runners.

I remember that now that you mention it.  I saw him open a connection to the fuel rail and get some gas to flow. If the fuel pump was really bad it wouldn't have had any fuel plus being a port injection system the throttle body is dry anyway.      Also back to when he's talking about the new overhead valve V-8 engine replacing the "V-6 engine". The problem with watching many of these shows is if you have even a basic knowledge of the subject you find yourself going nuts with the constant misinformation they keep spouting like they're the experts and you just know some poor guy is sitting on the couch at home thinking this is all factual.  

3 minutes ago, espo said:

I remember that now that you mention it.  I saw him open a connection to the fuel rail and get some gas to flow. If the fuel pump was really bad it wouldn't have had any fuel plus being a port injection system the throttle body is dry anyway.      Also back to when he's talking about the new overhead valve V-8 engine replacing the "V-6 engine". The problem with watching many of these shows is if you have even a basic knowledge of the subject you find yourself going nuts with the constant misinformation they keep spouting like they're the experts and you just know some poor guy is sitting on the couch at home thinking this is all factual.  

So frustrating to watch just about any car-related show.  "Experts" that don't know squat.

Even as a kid those Quinn Martin Production shows like The FBI were so predictable.. every car was a brand new Ford.. except for the felon car that was going over the cliff!  That was always an old anything but a Ford.  The minute you saw one on the screen you knew it was toast!

One of my all time favorite movies~ Mr. Majestyk , They used clips from this movie in Ford truck commercials for years. In this short clip you see a broken head light repair itself....a few different times, all within 8 minutes 

11 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Shoot, I want a Ferrari-powered 4-speed '63 T-bird Sport Roadster like Robert Conrad drove in Palm Springs Weekend!

Bonus points for the '57-to-'54 Merc swap at the end.

You got James West driving a V-8 Thunderbird with the visible shift lever in park and sounding more like an XKE going thru the gears. Now only in Hollywood would be able to drive at highway speeds and not lose your cowboy hat or get your hair messed up. Tires are squealing with the slightest movement of the car. Have you ever been to Palm Springs in the Summer ??  Trust me you wouldn't be wearing driving gloves or a coat of any kind.  

9 minutes ago, Earl Marischal said:

What the grey hot rod/Jeep thing?

Thanks

steve

The lower part of the grill area is removed so it may or may not be a '41 Ford. The rest of the front end is anything between a '46 and a '48 Ford.