Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Chevelle SS

Metalmad

Just watched the review of the Revell  1969 Chevelle SS and Revell has knocked this one out of the ball park ! Looks like it is all new tooling and the decals are awesome which includes decals for the hood insulation. Watched the review on another model car web site.

37 minutes ago, Metalmad said:

Just watched the review of the Revell  1969 Chevelle SS and Revell has knocked this one out of the ball park ! Looks like it is all new tooling and the decals are awesome which includes decals for the hood insulation. Watched the review on another model car web site.

What was the website 

Looks every bits as nice as its predecessor , but with improved tyres . 

Would like a slightly expanded decal sheet ; the different 396power rating decals ( 325hp , 350hp , and , 375hp ) for the air cleaner lid would be nice . 

It's too bad --- but not surprising --- that Revell elected to go with the conventional hardtop instead of the 300 coupe ---- the only year that the SS-396 was available on all models (except wagons) .

I hope they improved the fit of the grille and made a more correct looking dash. Those were horrible in the '68. The wheel well lips needed work also. But, they're a pretty easy fix. I'll still buy a couple of them. One for my brother and one for myself.

1 hour ago, Metalmad said:

Supposedly the dash is new and also the grill and front and rear bumpers.

I'd assume the body is also new to account for model year differences, and new taillights, and interior parts like seats and door panels. 

33 minutes ago, Mike Chernecki said:

I hope they didn't make the '68 obsolete converting to a '69 and each is a separate body. Didn't Revell convert the '69 Dart to a '68 making it impossible to bring back the '69 without destroying the '68.

I hope so too as I'm about 1/2 done with the Beaumont conversion master for the '68. ?

I'd imagine (and certainly hope) that completely separate tools were made for the 1969-specific parts ( dashboard , steering column , tiller ; grille and bumper(s) ; etc.)  . The chrome tree certainly appears like a "gate-insert" (not aware of its proper nomenclature) for the grille / bumper(s) , which presents strong evidence of year-respective inserts for casting . 

As far as the 1969-come-1968 Dart is concerned --- yeah , they kinda screwed the pooch with that one . At least the '69 is plentiful enough to still be gotten for a reasonable price . And , if the glass from the '69 is scratched / tyre-burned / broken , the 1968 pieces will fit right-in the '69's bad pieces .

I wonder what they're gonna do about the rear 1/4 panels where they meet the ends of the rear bumper.

The '68 bumper is cut on a slant while the '69 is pretty well strait up and down and the 1/4 panels reflect that.

New body or change that area on the 1/4 panel? 

PS, just checked out the review video on the SA magazine website and they say new body ,,, but they also said the fresh air vents on the interior kick panels were speakers so ???

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

It would have to be a new body, since the ‘68 kit body has vent windows, ‘68 style side markers and a ‘68 style lower body trim. 

Didn't stop 'em from selling the '69 GTO as a "'68". ?

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

No correlation.  Different company almost 40 years ago.  

It was released in Revell packaging a lot less than 40 years ago.

But, the point is moot as I did say in my post that I seen the video and they did say it's a new body. 

24 minutes ago, Len Woodruff said:

Wonder if they will release a Yenko version?

All you need to do one would be the decals from a Yenko Camaro, air cleaner decals, and possibly wheels. And it's possible Yenko set some loose with the standard Magnum 500 wheels, I just can't remember specifically seeing one that way, I'd have to recheck refs. 

Oh yeah, you'll need to remove all the SS emblems, but that's not a huge deal.