Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Chevelle SS

Metalmad

45 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

RE : Tail Lamps , newly-tooled 1969 Chevelle SS-396

The only thing that I noticed is , "Where are the integral back-up lamps ?"  . 

I thought the same thing, then looked closely, and I THINK I see them molded in there, but I'm not sure. :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I thought the same thing, then looked closely, and I THINK I see them molded in there, but I'm not sure

As long as there's a decent indication of their location , then that's good enough . Silver Sharpie with a dab of Pearl White on top .

On 6/29/2020 at 8:15 PM, Can-Con said:

I googled it.

These people are professional journalists? That is one of the most cringeworthy "professional" videos I have ever seen. If I had a copy of the kit, I would give it to my 7- and 8-year old neighbors and have THEM shoot a video.

Looks like the "Astro Ventilation" vents are decals? This could be a cheap-out ploy, or maybe we are going to see another version of the '69 that didn't have Astro Ventilation, like a 300 post?

12 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

This is on eBay right now; original version - did it fit any better than the reissues?

1590596044_69chevelle2.jpg.fe1e245e623a8cf55c028f6ba3553c94.jpg

1900831934_69chevelle1.jpg.11f159c1d50cd374c023c6047f14911e.jpg

Yes, better, but it doesn't fit perfectly. 

Here are two built AMT '69 Chevelle models. The one on the right is an original built in 1969 and restored in 2014. The one on the left is a reissue started in the early '90s and finally finished also in 2014. It is fitted with an original annual 1969 rear bumper and taillights from another original '69 annual. 

69ChevelleC03.jpg.2bb0dc8d1f9170617b479950a1c35a73.jpg

I have a couple sets of Modelhaus bezels and lights. They are patterned after the originals, but are separate and meant to be used with the bumper that comes with the reissue (replacing just the chrome reissue tail lamps).

I messaged Kevin at Missing Link about 6 weeks ago; he was sold-out of that resin-cast rear bumper piece and casting a "test" one to see if his mold would still cast a quality piece... haven't heard back from him yet as he needed to send it off to be chrome-plated to make a final determination.

20 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

Kevin at missinglink resin makes a great repop of the rear bumper and tail lights for the 69 and he also has the flat hood fits like a glove.

Wonder if the hood will fit the new kit? You could order a Malibu with buckets. Drop in a small-block...or a SIX, find some regular wheel-covers, and instant main-streamer.

Charlie Larkin

On 7/2/2020 at 4:13 AM, 1972coronet said:

As long as there's a decent indication of their location , then that's good enough . Silver Sharpie with a dab of Pearl White on top .

There's definitely molded in the rear lens, as these are early shots, they could well be supplied as a decal, as the rear black stripes for the rear trim between the lamps are supplied as decals in the 68, it looks like it has been painted in this shot.

Screenshot_20200704-103207_Chrome.jpg

these are on the streets.  My guy has it and will be brining it in the next week or so.  Exciting.   Gotta decide on a color.   And a Tamiya Mustang too.  Which to start with?

Edited by randyc

Maybe I'am bad here but why would they(Revell) tool up a new body when all the factory did was change tail lights and grill..Basic same body shell..Interior different and dash..Not a big GM know it all but most factories did minor changes to the outside of their cars every second year..

2 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Maybe I'am bad here but why would they(Revell) tool up a new body when all the factory did was change tail lights and grill..Basic same body shell..Interior different and dash..Not a big GM know it all but most factories did minor changes to the outside of their cars every second year..

Because the '69 has different marker lights, different rear quarter panel "ends", it also deletes the vent windows, and the rocker mounted side chrome trim.  Without doing a second set of side mold pieces you'd end up with the it's not a '68 and it's not a '69 hodge podge that the AMT kit presents.

5 hours ago, sfhess said:

From what I understand the kit/tool was designed to make the change from 1968 to 1969 relatively simple.

All modern tooling, say '90s and newer (this got started in the U.S. with Revellogram kits like the '69 Camaro, '32 Ford and Tri Fives) are designed to be modular with the tooling just needing specific inserts and possibly sections of the body core swapped out between runs to produce different kits. All of the tooling is done upfront at once, so none of this "new tooling" is actually NEW per se, but is just the first time the consumers are seeing the kit run this way.

Perfect example of new that's not NEW is the recent reissue of the Jeep Wrangler with more stockish "Day 2" parts (compared to the Tomb Raider) that were tooled up back in 2004, but for whatever reason Revell never saw fit (probably sales related) to issue that kit in that variant until 16 years later when the new German owners decided to maximize their investment and issue it.

Edited by niteowl7710

On 7/4/2020 at 5:35 AM, GeeBee said:

There's definitely molded in the rear lens, as these are early shots, they could well be supplied as a decal, as the rear black stripes for the rear trim between the lamps are supplied as decals in the 68, it looks like it has been painted in this shot.

Screenshot_20200704-103207_Chrome.jpg

They did the taillights with two separate red lenses for the upper and lower sections.  

Edited by Rob Hall

WOW - that's more differentiated than I expected.

The way they separated the rear taillight nacelle/moldings might have led you to expect distinct side cavities for the '69 applied to the same core mold, but shoot - differences in the front and rear bumper areas, even the rear wheel arch seems to follow a slightly different contour (may be the variation in perspective between the two bodies, though).

The rear fender arches look the same to me, but the '68 has trim below them.  

The interior upholstery on the seats and door panels differ, as does the instrument cluster and steering wheel.   The chassis and engine appear the same, as does the wheel choices (Rallys and 5-spoke mags).  '68 interior above, '69 below.

IMG-4125.jpg

IMG-4127.jpg

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

They did the taillights with two separate red lenses for the upper and lower sections.  

I was talking about the back up lamps, that you can see molded into the bottom lens, not the lenses themselves 

14397131-1969-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-std.jpg