Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coca Cola branding. Why?

16 hours ago, Dave Van said:

My only business dealings with the big 2 soft drink companies was through my buddy and his small chain of Pizza places he owned. 

When he opened he had the two big suppliers come in and bid. Pepsi under bid by a HUGE amount.  So even though he was a Coke drinker business said Pepsi. That lasted less than a year. The Pepsi fountain machines broke down all the time....and took weeks to fix.  Supplies were spotty at best. After a year of this he called Coke. They came in with all new machines, lines everything. And Coke came in twice a month and tested and calibrated to make sure it was right. They made and gave him signs for his store....with COKE logo but FREE! This lasted the next ten years until he sold the chian to an investment group.  Best pizza ever and I miss it. 

I’m sure everyone has been to a pizza shop, or fast food restaurant where they have those Coca-Cola touch screen machines. Well, those machines are very, very expensive. I don’t remember the dollar amount, but it’s pretty astronomical. They must be installed at night when no one is around, because of their complexity, and if I remember correctly, optic cables are used. Then after they are all set up, the Coca-Cola company gets direct information from the choices consumers make of their drink choices, and use that info from every place those machines are being used. Then they decide on which new flavor to introduce to the public, like Vanilla Orange, or Vanilla Cherry Zero, etc. Talk about high tech marketing. 
I wasn’t one of the guys that installed them, as I drove tractor trailer for them, and I do consumer Coke when I have to choose a soft drink. 

Edited by Brutalform

I do like Coca-Cola, and I usually prefer it in bottles (glass or plastic, I'm not too picky).  I'm not a big fan of those touch screen machines, and I've nicked named them "Fruit-Loop Machines" as I don't think anything tastes like it's supposed to as you get the flavor of what was dispensed before you.  Oh, well.  Nothing is perfect, I guess.

I did go the the Coca-Cola store in Las Vegas the last time I was out there, and my family & I sampled some Coca-Cola products from around the world.  Some of them were pretty good, others were like "how could anyone drink that!"  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

As far as Coca-Cola marketing with AMT, the only Coca-Cola kit I have purchased is the AMT 1977 Ford Econoline Coca-Cola Van.  Is it accurate?  Probably not, but I liked it; and I am a Coke fan.

7 hours ago, Jim B said:

As far as Coca-Cola marketing with AMT, the only Coca-Cola kit I have purchased is the AMT 1977 Ford Econoline Coca-Cola Van.  Is it accurate?  Probably not, but I liked it; and I am a Coke fan.

I'd say the Coke Ford van IS pretty accurate. During all of the 1970's I lived in Charlotte NC.  That is home of CCCC which is a Coke licensee that is bigger than Coke itself. I recall vans like that running around.....delivering machine, repairs and tanks.  While I never took a photo.....they look like what I recall!!! 

7 hours ago, Jim B said:

I do like Coca-Cola, and I usually prefer it in bottles (glass or plastic, I'm not too picky).  I'm not a big fan of those touch screen machines, and I've nicked named them "Fruit-Loop Machines" as I don't think anything tastes like it's supposed to as you get the flavor of what was dispensed before you.  Oh, well.  Nothing is perfect, I guess.

Bingo. I will normally drink iced tea, water or nothing rather than anything out of those machines. The only problem then is that there is always a line at those machines which happens to be the only place to get ice. It takes people 5 or 10 times longer just to figure out what they want to drink, and how to get it out. The machines will also time out and reset your selections if you take too long, so you have to start over. They are most frustrating contraptions ever.  

Edited by SSNJim

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

I'd say the Coke Ford van IS pretty accurate. During all of the 1970's I lived in Charlotte NC.  That is home of CCCC which is a Coke licensee that is bigger than Coke itself. I recall vans like that running around.....delivering machine, repairs and tanks.  While I never took a photo.....they look like what I recall!!! 

I'm just thinking that Coca-Cola probably wouldn't have spring for the fancy wheels & the redline tires; but that's an easy fix.  I think.

And no matter where you go in the world, everyone knows Coke.    My wife has an old friend from high school who is a Coca Cola collecting freak.  If the package or item says Coke or Coca Cola on it, she's got it.  And that include ALL of the Coke models and die casts ever issued!!  She loves adding these new R2 kits to her collection, and they'll never be opened!

1 hour ago, maxwell48098 said:

And no matter where you go in the world, everyone knows Coke.   

My father was US Army and we lived in Turkey back in the 1960s... the one thing familiar to us! Coke!   We weren’t allowed to eat or drink much from the Turkish economy back then but we could have Coke!   Due to lack of refrigeration there, it was drank warm!  And when we got back to the US it was tough for us kids to drink it cold, especially with ice! 

Then in 1969 we moved to Germany. Coke there had a distinct lemon flavor, like you twisted a slice of lemon into your glass. Not bad, just different.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I've bought two of the Coke kits so far - the ex Switchers 32 delivery and the Vending machine, purely because I wanted to build the model.  On the other hand, I don't NEED another early Ranchero but those Coke crates and the cooler are sooooooo nice!  So RC2's devious plans are working.  I really don't get the angst about the Coke branding - there is a perfectly workable kit inside every box, the quality of the decals is superb and so usable in a hundred applications, I just look at them as a bonus.  It's not like they did a "Modified Stocker" on the kits or anything.  Live and let live, I say. 

As many have wisely said, if  RC2 sells more kits as a result, we get closer to getting new subjects - who knows, maybe they will do a long overdue 34 Chevy something or other - but that is an entirely different thread!

In the words of the eminent Mr Snake,  Drink up and Model On!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

On 7/5/2020 at 3:34 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

It found its way onto a Japanese kit as well:

50080435837_4d9629c252_b.jpg

1:24 Aoshima Nissan Bluebird Turbo Silhouette kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I like this one better.........

NISSANGR5d.jpg

PS: There is a old movie.....made during or just after WWII. One part has Air Force pilots who were killed in action walking into Heaven. In a waiting room is a Coca-Cola machine....which every pilot heads to first when they get there. Kinda shows the popularity weather you like it or not!

Edited by Dave Van

PS: There is a old movie.....made during or just after WWII. One part has Air Force pilots who were killed in action walking into Heaven. In a waiting room is a Coca-Cola machine....which every pilot heads to first when they get there. Kinda shows the popularity weather you like it or not!

Or just product placement...

steve

41 minutes ago, Earl Marischal said:

Or just product placement...

steve

My father in law flew P-38 in Europe WWII......he was the one that showed me the VHS of the film because when he saw it he laughed so hard......because it was true!! (if there was no beer.....and in the UK many yanks liked Coke better!!)

13 hours ago, Dave Van said:

A Matter of Life and Death (US title Stairway to Heaven), 1946, starring David Niven and Kim Hunter. Very sentimental, but has some good lines - all the scenes set in heaven are in black and white; one of the angels complains "We don't have Technicolor up here yet!"  

47 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

A Matter of Life and Death (US title Stairway to Heaven), 1946, starring David Niven and Kim Hunter. Very sentimental, but has some good lines - all the scenes set in heaven are in black and white; one of the angels complains "We don't have Technicolor up here yet!"  

Thanks!! I'll need to find it and watch again! 

On 7/2/2020 at 7:56 AM, Earl Marischal said:

Mind you, why anyone would collect Coca Cola memorabilia beats me. Takes all sorts I guess.

These are the same folks whom put {{ GASP ! }} ice in their soft drinks ! Haha . 

The band Demented Are Go ! were staying at a friend's house while they were on a short U.S. tour . It was summer and hotter than ____________ . The lead singer , "Sparky" , asked if my friend had a pop . My friend obliged , bringing him a Coke in a glass with ice cubes . Sparky said , "What's this bollocks ? Why'd you put ice in it ?" . My friend had no clue about the no-ice-in-an-otherwise-cold-drink thing ! Haha !

On 7/3/2020 at 7:35 PM, SSNJim said:

Bingo. I will normally drink iced tea, water or nothing rather than anything out of those machines. The only problem then is that there is always a line at those machines which happens to be the only place to get ice. It takes people 5 or 10 times longer just to figure out what they want to drink, and how to get it out. The machines will also time out and reset your selections if you take too long, so you have to start over. They are most frustrating contraptions ever.  

You got it.  And I'm that guy that if I have too many choices, I'll just lock up in front of the machine. LOL If we have to do that, my wife will bring me somenthing she knows I'll drink becasue she knows how that machine frustrates me.