Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Pete 352 Day Cab

Recently, while reorganizing some stuff in the shop, I pulled this out. I don't recall when I cut the chassis and cab, but, as you can see by the yellowed liquid cement, it's been a while! It's a 60" cab on a 120" WB. I'm going with an AMT Cummins for power. I haven't decided yet, whether turbo or naturally aspirated. I'm not sure where the rear axle came from. It had stubs on the ends, with a ball on the end. Was that an Ertl thing? As I recall, MPC favored plugging that big, ol' square end into the wheels. It appears to have something like an Eaton or Spicer two-speed, which would be appropriate for this truck's job. It would represent a small local/regional freight company, and be used to tow 27' boxes. Critiques, questions and comments always welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

Thanks, Guido! I think I just need to narrow the rear axle. I think  that may be what looks odd, to me. I dry-assembled the hinges to the bumper (not worried about its finish, it will be painted, and likely, bobbed), then I mounted some Evergreen strip to extend the kit's molded-in "tabs" to locate the bumper. Once those were cured, I was able to insert them into the hollows at the front of the chassis, to mount the cab. At that point, I was able to install the rear cab supports. Then, I cemented one side of each hinge to the cab (the same side--left, or right, otherwise the hinge will be trapped between the hinge halves.). To disassemble it, I only have to remove the loose hinge side, and slip it apart. At any rate, here it is with the cab mounted.

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

2DSC_0003cr.jpg

2DSC_0005cr.jpg

2DSC_0010cr.jpg

2DSC_0012cr.jpg

2DSC_0014cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

That is cool.  I agree rear axle is too wide.  I have one of these in my pile, might have to try a day cab. Gotta get up the nerve to cut the cab down.  If I may say something, it looks like the frame rails need to be cut back pretty much even with the front spring perches.  That will make the cab move back a bit and center the steer tires under the wheel arches. It also helps to line up the grille in the cab opening.   This is a tricky kit, at least to me.   Looks like a fun project. 

8 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

That is cool.  I agree rear axle is too wide.  I have one of these in my pile, might have to try a day cab. Gotta get up the nerve to cut the cab down.  If I may say something, it looks like the frame rails need to be cut back pretty much even with the front spring perches.  That will make the cab move back a bit and center the steer tires under the wheel arches. It also helps to line up the grille in the cab opening.   This is a tricky kit, at least to me.   Looks like a fun project. 

Thank you, Doug! Cutting the front of the chassis was exactly what I was thinking, to get the cab centered over the wheels. The sad part is, you have to get it to this point, before that becomes apparent! Had I known, I would have simply installed the front axle about three inches forward. I've been hankering to build a truck for a few years, now. I decided it was time. I was lucky enough to get a nice, clean cut, on the cab. I think a little stretched sprue, and some liquid cement will fill it, and leave the cleanup easy enough to save the rivets, since I'm  not sure what the proper decals would be to order from Archer.

8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Unique build. Following.

Thank you, Bill!

10 hours ago, Jim B said:

I'm liking the look so far.

Thanks, Jim. I'm really having fun,  with it!

9 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Lookin' good!!!..... ?

Thanks again, Guido! Got a couple of bugs to work out, but, it'll be fine!

On 6/30/2020 at 8:08 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Recently, while reorganizing some stuff in the shop, I pulled this out. I don't recall when I cut the chassis and cab, but, as you can see by the yellowed liquid cement, it's been a while! It's a 60" cab on a 120" WB. I'm going with an AMT Cummins for power. I haven't decided yet, whether turbo or naturally aspirated. I'm not sure where the rear axle came from. It had stubs on the ends, with a ball on the end. Was that an Ertl thing? As I recall, MPC favored plugging that big, ol' square end into the wheels. It appears to have something like an Eaton or Spicer two-speed, which would be appropriate for this truck's job. It would represent a small local/regional freight company, and be used to tow 27' boxes. Critiques, questions and comments always welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

That is going to be a neat truck. And I am happy to find out I am not the only one who doesn't remember where I got stuff and when I did something to it.

7 hours ago, landman said:

That is going to be a neat truck. And I am happy to find out I am not the only one who doesn't remember where I got stuff and when I did something to it.

Thanks, Pat! I really like trucks that are something less than  glamorous.  You definitely are not the only one! I keep finding stuff around here, "I must have started this about twenty years ago."...

12 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Very interesting build looking forward to seeing it all finished. 

Thank you, Dan. I narrowed the rear axle, some. Adding the brake drums, in front pushed the front tires out,  which is a help. Although it wasn't completed in these photos, I have since got the front axle centered in the cab's wheel arch. I think the latest modifications are a big improvement! Questions, comments and critiques always welcome! Thanks for looking.

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

Now, this is what I was looking for! The front steering is pretty much as it will live, with a bit of cleanup. I  moved the axle forward a tad. I moved the cab back, a hair, as well. I am likely going to do something slightly more prototypical, instead of this ridiculous bumper hinge mount! I scuffed the  front tires' sidewalls with steel wool, to dull them, a little. Now, it has just the look I wanted...

2DSC_0006cr.jpg

2DSC_0007cr.jpg

2DSC_0013cr.jpg

2DSC_0017cr.jpg

Thanks again, for your interest, and comments. They are much appreciated! You'll note that the cab hinges are now missing from the front bumper (I mean, really?!). I replace the kit's setup with something that, while not prototypical, it IS actually feasible! I still need to make the inner plates, and move the rear cab supports back about 1/16", but, I am satisfied that it is much better than AMT's design. Photos are poor,  sorry. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

2 hours ago, gatorincebu said:

Cool build  ! Like you I have trouble remembering where I got some parts. But I don't let it get me down.

I also have a cut down Pete cab ina plastic bin somewhere in the hobby room.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks, Gator! I kinda' like day cabs!

11 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Nice work on your cab hinges. Looks like you could add another plate next to your current ones to fill in the gap. 

Thanks, Dan! I think I can get the inner ones loose, and move them closer to the outer plates, to tighten the gap. It looks pretty sloppy, like this, for sure!