Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Pete 352 Day Cab

Engine progress. I've added little details, and been filling sinkholes. There are fewer sinkholes, in Florida, than in this kit! I have also begun work on the pulleys, which was necessitated by the fact that some of the components didn't seem to want to fit with the kit belt assemblies. Except for the crank pulley/harmonic balancer/alternator be;t assembly, the rest of the belts and pulleys will be scratchbuilt. As always,  questions, critiques and comments are always welcome! Thanks fer lookin'!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

Thanks, Lee. With seemingly no two of these 350s alike, it's interesting, sorting out the plumbing on this thing, for sure! There are so many different things in so many different places, that, about all you can do is find the lines that are common between them, and install those.

Daniel. I’m kind stumped on my 290 Cummins in my Autocar I’m building although I owned the real truck seems like I just can’t get it the way it’s supposed to look so I may just build it as a 350 or 370. Your doing great on this build 

26 minutes ago, Pete68 said:

Daniel. I’m kind stumped on my 290 Cummins in my Autocar I’m building although I owned the real truck seems like I just can’t get it the way it’s supposed to look so I may just build it as a 350 or 370. Your doing great on this build 

Lee, it is easy to see why! You have to figure  out which component is which,  then plumb it, accordingly. It's even more confusing when two pictures of the same part look different! Very perplexing! Good luck. If you have some photos of your engine, maybe I can help. I'd be happy to give it a shot!

Thank you, Dan!

Thanks Dan I had some on my other phone but it crash I have some I took years ago but I’ll have to dig them out. With that Autocar it’s kinda hard to see because of the butterfly hood. I appreciate the help I might try another run at it. I have a 352 Pete day cab single axle I need to finish it’s almost done if you want I can post you  a pic of it 

Edited by Pete68

2 hours ago, Pete68 said:

Thanks Dan I had some on my other phone but it crash I have some I took years ago but I’ll have to dig them out. With that Autocar it’s kinda hard to see because of the butterfly hood. I appreciate the help I might try another run at it. I have a 352 Pete day cab single axle I need to finish it’s almost done if you want I can post you  a pic of it 

That would be cool! I didn't even  think of the butterfly hood, on the Autocar. Yes, that could make it interesting.

A little more of the belts/pulleys assemblies. If I had larger diameter stock, on hand, I would have turned the pulleys on the lathe. Since I don't, I am  using punched discs of alternating diameters, to make the pulleys. I've begun to make one of the belts. This is a flat belt. To re-create the v-belts, I plan  to sand off one of the angles from some Evergreen triangular stock. Here, the now mounted compressor can also be seen. As always, questions, critiques and compliments are welcome!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

Engine's looking good, I had the same problem with the plumbing, no two photo's or video's the same, I think you have to make a compromise in the end and do what looks right bearing in mind that a lot of the detail disappears down below the chassis rails when installed, its still nice to know it is all there even if you can't see much of it after.

I think the pulleys are mostly done, excepting some minor details.  You can see the belt/pulleys for the crank and alternator, as well. It will be interesting, making v-belts from triangle stock, but, it should look pretty cool, when it's done. Looking to get the engine to the point of paint, so I can move along to the chassis. Questions, comments and critiques always welcome!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

Very nice work Daniel !

I'm just surprised to find you in this category... I'm torn because I also like semi-trucks and I don't need to have too much temptations...  I've seen many marvels in this section of the forum and an old truck from the sixties or early seventies would be cool to build... as a drag racing truck...LOL. ?

Keep doing your good job my friend, you are so resourceful, I'll be back to check your progress.

9 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Very nice work Daniel !

I'm just surprised to find you in this category... I'm torn because I also like semi-trucks and I don't need to have too much temptations...  I've seen many marvels in this section of the forum and an old truck from the sixties or early seventies would be cool to build... as a drag racing truck...LOL. ?

Keep doing your good job my friend, you are so resourceful, I'll be back to check your progress.

Hey, Francis! Thanks for stopping by. Thanks for your kind words. I will build just about anything, but, I've loved trucks, since I started building, back when AMT's GMC Astro 95 still had the turbine, in the kit. I got it for Christmas, that year. I think I built a couple of others back then, the Road Boss, and the Freightliner Dual Drive tractor, but, I haven't built one, since the middle-'70s. I got inspired enough, looking here, that I dug this old project out, and started working on it, again. I'm installing the belts, now.

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Great work on the pulleys Daniel!

Thanks, Carl!

Edited by Straightliner59

Okay, they need some cleanup and adjustments, but, the belts are on! I used a no. 11 blade as an adze, to flatten one of the angles. I colored the flattened edge with a black Sharpie, so that I could easily see which side I wanted to be facing in. I made the belts with Plastruct .030" triangular stock. There is also a photo of the kit piece these belts replaced. As always, questions, critiques,   and comments are always welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC2_0003.jpg

DSC2_0005.jpg

DSC2_0006.jpg

DSC2_0008.jpg

DSC2_0012.jpg

On 8/11/2020 at 4:00 PM, CRUSADER2 said:

Great work and detailing!! I missed the oil pump on my 350 build, its too late now, at least that is one item that is definatley below the chassis rail, a great build to follow and learn from. 

You are correct, Geoffrey, that pump is pretty obscured by the frame rail, but, it just looked like too big a hole, not to add it! Thank you for your kind words, sir!

On 8/12/2020 at 5:34 AM, Mopar - D said:

Nice engine details. 

Thanks, Dan! Still hoping to get some paint on it, soon!

On 8/12/2020 at 8:44 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice details all around the engine Daniel, truly well done and accurate.  By adding the oil pump, you deserve to be seen as more detail-oriented than the model car maker itself (AMT). Nice touch sir you are very resourceful!!!

Thanks, for looking, and for your comments, Francis. I think a lot of us are more detail-oriented than the manufacturers! ? You certainly fit that group, too.