Model Cars Magazine Forum

Make sure to fit the grille before you paint it.the grille is very tight in the opening,real easy to have it too high,then the cab wont sit right.Much easier to do now. Harvey

3 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Much better now and I’m sure that the pins will stay in place better now. 

Thanks, Dan. I think you're right, about that!

1 hour ago, 37 caddy said:

Make sure to fit the grille before you paint it.the grille is very tight in the opening,real easy to have it too high,then the cab wont sit right.Much easier to do now. Harvey

Thank you, Harvey! That's good to know to be on the lookout for.

I started working on the radiator assembly. Added some Evergreen for the front side of the top tank, and some .080" Evergreen angle to slide the aluminum louvers behind. They are all loose, here. I won't glue them, until I have them all made (17). Once cut from Maid-O-Metal tooling aluminum, I roll them under an old brass bushing I found, to give them a bit of a curve. Eventually, I will open the grille surround, and replace the open  area with  mesh, of some sort. The fuel tank is beginning to be wrapped with tooling aluminum. I will  add thin strips to the ends, and make the tank ends using a doming block. One thing I like about tooling aluminum (among many!) is that, by using a ball ended burnisher on a cutting mat with a pebbled surface, it creates a pretty convincing weld bead. I'm  posting a photo to illustrate it, but, I'm unsure  how visible it will be. Thanks for looking! Questions, critiques and comments are always welcome!

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

3 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Dan your welds look really good! 

Thank you, sir! They are super-simple to do, as well! I had created rolled beads in tooling aluminum with a ball-ended burnisher. One day, I noticed that one of my cutting mats had a pebbled surface, and the light bulb went on!

I applied  a flat coat to the aluminum louvers. I worked on the radiator fins with a silver Prismacolor pencil, and an oily residue color from a Tamiya weathering kit. Next, I want to work on the grille surround, and build the motor. Thanks for looking! Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome!

I have also included some better photos of the weld beads that can be created using tooling aluminum, a ball-ended burnisher, and a pebbled surface, similar to that pictured. It's perfect for doing welded aluminum tanks, welded panels, etc.

.DSC_0004cr.jpg.fb1ab39eb561a8014e6f067fe082a7a9.jpg

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

2DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

2DSC_0016cr.jpg

2DSC_0018cr.jpg

2DSC_0021cr.jpg

2DSC_0022cr.jpg