Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Revell's Dobbertin Pro/Street Chassis

Fabrux

I never got the original one.  Did get the 3 car set, mostly for the parts stash it provided.   Plan was to use the Dobbertin chassis under a Willys body.  Never finished it.  I think I had to move during hte build, so it got boxed and never completed.   THat and the Matt Hayes Thunderbird were pretty exciting kits for the times.  I did do the Thunderbird twice.  

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Wasn't the Lincoln LSC Pro Street kit based off this too???  I remember Bob Johnson, who did the kit design, said he wanted to do a stock Lincoln LSC but could not get the OK....but did get the PS version by..... 

The chassis in the link is the Dobbertin car that ended up being replicated by Revell in the J2000 kit. That same chassis was then issued with a C4 Vette body and then a Beretta body. The J2000 is the only one of the three to have the unique turbo setup included

The chassis you are referring to started under the Matt and Debbie Hays T Bird that Revell did first, and then ended up under a Lincoln body as well.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

The chassis in the link is the Dobbertin car that ended up being replicated by Revell in the J2000 kit. That same chassis was then issued with a C4 Vette body and then a Beretta body. The J2000 is the only one of the three to have the unique turbo setup included

The chassis you are referring to started under the Matt and Debbie Hays T Bird that Revell did first, and then ended up under a Lincoln body as well.

Now that you say that...I remember.  The Lincoln body was a way to get more mileage from the Thunderbird kit. Thanks

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Wasn't the Lincoln LSC Pro Street kit based off this too???  I remember Bob Johnson, who did the kit design, said he wanted to do a stock Lincoln LSC but could not get the OK....but did get the PS version by..... 

Too bad, I really like that car,  bought the PS hoping to turn it into a showroom stock vehicle, but later I learned the body was massaged to fit a specific chassis.

18 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Too bad, I really like that car,  bought the PS hoping to turn it into a showroom stock vehicle, but later I learned the body was massaged to fit a specific chassis.

I think there was an article in one of the mags back then about performing the conversion. Vince Lobosco from NY did a beautiful showroom stock version by bashing that body and the stock Revell Thunderbird kit

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...