Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need Ideas for '57 Thunderbird Kustom

When the AMT '57 Thunderbird 1/16 kit gets re-released, I'll be getting one... Plans call for a mild Kustom theme. I'm looking around online for ideas and inspiration, but it seems that not many '57s were done up as a custom. I'm asking here if anyone has pics, or better yet, ideas that you've incorporated into a build. Doesn't have to be the 1/16 kit! All ideas are welcome, even from the other years of the Baby Birds...... Also looking for stuff like interior and engine bay ideas.

Also, would anyone know of aftermarket parts for a 1/16 kustom? I may try to scratch build some stuff, but I would like lakes pipes and appletons if not much else... but stuff like a Paxton supercharger would be cool.

Thanks for any help with this!

There were several new '57 T-Birds that got Kustomized way back when. I think Dean Jeffries did a nice paint job and a padded roof treatment. You can bet that George Barris did a few along with many others. I recall a family friend that had a '56 T-Bird, they were very close proportionally, that had added a 3x2 setup on his engine. The grill on the hood scope had to be changed on the underside because of carb. clearance issues. Ford Motor Company had one at Speed Week at Daytona Fl. with a fairing on the rear deck and bubble covers for the headlights.  

These are good ideas, guys.... I've been looking at Custom Car Chronicle too, but most of what they feature is fat-fendered cars and shoeboxes. Still, I have gathered some ideas from there. One thought I have came from a member here, he painted the pan looking part of the rear bumper body color, making it look like a custom bumper.