Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ant Anstead - Master Mechanic

I would like to see them start a series with Ant as the lead character. What I liked about the original Wheeler Dealer series was how they would show the mechanical repairs and upgrades. I think that Ant is better at this part than the original even as good as it was. Mike is OK, but more of the fluff than anything else.   

I just watched a string of programs on YouTube. Since I get Wheeler Dealers on Discovery Velocity, there is a lag on how current our programs are, so it was really nice to see Ant's work on his own car. I did worry that the show wouldn't be as good when Edd left, but I have been happily surprised at the content. I have also enjoyed the two shows I have seen so far with Elvis as the mechanic. Mike does have his moments where he is in your face, but it is also nice to see a salesman who knows how to do repairs (I have managed salesmen who could barely remove and swap licence plates, so this is a big thing for me!).

As a former salesman and manager, I really liked the recent video I found on the WD stream, with Mike discussing the shows, as well as the dealer situation during the pandemic. An interesting look at how dealerships are surviving during this crisis.

22 hours ago, espo said:

I would like to see them start a series with Ant as the lead character. What I liked about the original Wheeler Dealer series was how they would show the mechanical repairs and upgrades. I think that Ant is better at this part than the original even as good as it was. Mike is OK, but more of the fluff than anything else.   

Ant is the lead, Mike is not even on the show.

Edited by afx

1 hour ago, afx said:

Ant is the lead, Mike is not even on the show.

This is true of the recent building of his own car. The Wheeler Dealer series up until it ended had Mike as the lead person and Ant doing the heavy lifting. I'm not down on Mike so much, I just think that Ant is much more informative about the how and what of the things he is doing. Mike does his little "Dog and Pony" show selling the finished product. I have enjoyed a couple of his most recent shows were he visits other aspects of the car culture. The editor from Low Ridder Magazine looked a couple of times like he was getting a little bored with him though.  Last night on the first I watched something with Mike that is based in England. This show may have been around for a while, I just hadn't seen it before. He had a mechanic named Elvis and they would flip a couple of cars to get something that someone else wanted. Last night they started with a Mini that they flipped, he got a Horse Trailer, called a horse box, I guess that's the same thing.  Then he got a Honda that they flipped and sold the trailer and got this guy a Land Rover that he wanted. 

I agree it's a better show JC, but it's a much newer programme that has a much higher budget, no Fiat Panda 4x4s or worn out Jensen Interceptors with holes in the floor.

You can't really compare them, some of the original episodes must be getting on for 20 years ago.