Model Cars Magazine Forum

My six year old grandson Avry is totally enamored with the Titanic. He has books, videos and all sorts of data about that great ship and it’s sinking. He actually knows facts about it that I had never heard of. So, when he asked me to build him a model of it that breaks in half, I of course said sure! Then I had to figure out how to deliver! Off to the hobby shop, and got the Revell Titanic. He worked with me as we assembled it, and he actually painted the deck and I let him operate my airbrush to paint the black on the hull.  Then I got out the Dremel and a cutoff disc and chopped her in half.  Gouged a gash in her bow, and made it so it would hook together and come apart easily. Gonna give it to him tomorrow night.  Was a good build for me as Avry helped me, but it served as a reminder of why I like building trucks!

06ED5A08-B823-4FDC-9963-00352CFB3925.jpeg

3B1B959A-D61D-45FD-B1A0-AB291A0F54BA.jpeg

75471D1E-6FC1-4ADC-99A1-018227F90560.jpeg

FCF42931-997A-4515-8E90-A8845B1174FC.jpeg

Edited by redneckrigger

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the photos and by what Tom wrote ( "Was a good build for me as Avry helped me, but it served as a reminder of why I like building trucks!" ), this project is complete, including the gash in tits hull.

Looks good Tom - nice diversion from your other more complex projects!

• 2 weeks later...

My son also is into the Titanic. I think he's watched the movie a hundred times. I've built this model for him twice. He played with the first one so much that most of the details on the deck broke off so I built him another one. He has Down Syndrome and he pretends the boat is sinking-it just fascinates him! Cool idea to chop it in half! I may have to build him another and do what you did-he would love it!

• 2 weeks later...