Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
GMP440

Who on the board will be building the Supernatural 67 Impala as a police car?

Recommended Posts

I plan on building the Supernatural Impala as a police car.  I know the hardop body is not correct for a police car, but despite that anyone planning to do the Impala as a police car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I bought two kits....NYPD and Yellow Cab NYC......

 

4 hours ago, GMP440 said:

I plan on building the Supernatural Impala as a police car.  I know the hardop body is not correct for a police car, but despite that anyone planning to do the Impala as a police car?

I think if you were to study some pictures of 1:1 4 door sedans you could create the B Pillar and window surrounds for the side windows and make a reasonable 4 door sedan out of the hardtop. May not be 100 % but I think it could be made to look very close.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it won’t be long because some enterprises resin caster will be offering a four door sedan.  I will wait!

And if we are real lucky someone will offer 68s as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is on deck to be a Fire Chief's Car.

They often bought nicer cars than the PD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I bought two kits....NYPD and Yellow Cab NYC......

I like that idea!  Are decals available for both of those? 

Ive been wanting to do a New York cab but a Camry doesn’t excite me too much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am working on art for both now. I lost my screen printer this year when they retired....so as soon as I can get back into the decal biz I may offer them for sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yellow Cab and a some sort of First Responder type cars are in my kits futures. 

Might buy another one just to put it away in the collection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

I am working on art for both now. I lost my screen printer this year when they retired....so as soon as I can get back into the decal biz I may offer them for sale. 

Great news Dave!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I like that idea!  Are decals available for both of those? 

Ive been wanting to do a New York cab but a Camry doesn’t excite me too much 

This set can be used on any RMPs from 1930s to 1972:

NYPD Vintage Cars Set 1:24 Water Slide Decals Made for White, Green & Black Cars

Re taxi door decals, you'll either have to make them yourself or get them custom printed. Nobody makes an accurate rendition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!  Thank you!  I do like the look of those green ‘n’ blacks - would be cool to have one on my shelf!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about it,the other day on the turner classis channel was a James Garner movie,They only kill their masters,he played a cop in a small town driving a beat up impala 4 door cop car,it caught my attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Nice!  Thank you!  I do like the look of those green ‘n’ blacks - would be cool to have one on my shelf!

The "DIAL 440-1234" decal is used to depict cars prior to April 1968. After that "Emergency Dial 911" was in effect. You'll also need to get the proper beacon/siren. The junk in the kit is nothing like what was used by NYPD back in the '60s-1972. Custom Squads sells the correct Federal Beacon Ray Model 175H rotating beacon with the correct clear dome and Federal Pulsator roof-mounted siren. You can find them on Page 3 of the catalog, listed as "CS-SR/BR3$6.50 (NYC Vintage)Siren/Rotator Pkg."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kelson said:

I was thinking about it,the other day on the turner classis channel was a James Garner movie,They only kill their masters,he played a cop in a small town driving a beat up impala 4 door cop car,it caught my attention.

theyonlykilltheirmastersmkv_snapshot_011

Plenty of images here, if one wants to take a whack at it:

http://imcdb.org/vehicle_1075629-Chevrolet-Impala-1967.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I did get a big shipment in a couple of days ago and those kits came in this box..... 

IMG_20200630_194056.jpg

Box also sez it holds a dozen kits...

Edited by Deuces ll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, kelson said:

I was thinking about it,the other day on the turner classis channel was a James Garner movie,They only kill their masters,he played a cop in a small town driving a beat up impala 4 door cop car,it caught my attention.

 

8 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

theyonlykilltheirmastersmkv_snapshot_011

Plenty of images here, if one wants to take a whack at it:

http://imcdb.org/vehicle_1075629-Chevrolet-Impala-1967.html

Technically, since that has the high-mounted side trim, I believe that's probably a '67 Bel Air.

(For some reason, in 1967 Chevy decided the Bel Air would get the 6-light taillights, like the Impala.  Every other year they used the basic 4-light arrangement like the Biscayne)

Edited by Robberbaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, alexis said:

These are not "Real" Taxi markings, but if you are OK w/ fictional companies, they might work.

https://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/gr-11059.htm

 

None of those would be even remotely correct for a 1970s-vintage NYC cab. This is the decal required:

Checker Motor Cars - New York Taxi Fare Decal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

This set can be used on any RMPs from 1930s to 1972:

NYPD Vintage Cars Set 1:24 Water Slide Decals Made for White, Green & Black Cars

Re taxi door decals, you'll either have to make them yourself or get them custom printed. Nobody makes an accurate rendition.

I know the people who make this sheet. I have a set like this. They do great work. 

G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree 100% on that, Wayne. This is the best Black/White/Green NYPD RMP decal set available. Their other sets are of the same high quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0641BE3B-9345-4DB0-89FC-8D8DA70E7940.jpeg.08f9a799ec0851ef8edf327a8a453637.jpeg

Another option.. the Checkers name and taxi stripes are in the RM 37 or I’d it 38, pickup kit. Dean Milano designed the sheet and wanted to see if folks would use it for a cab. He likes my taxi. 
The rest of the text is just inkjet decals I made myself. Black is fine for taxis.

i do like that taxi decal sheet shown here too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely in my must haves, but hard to find here in the UK. I'll probably do another Yellow Cab but I have various decals here for Highway Patrol cars. I'll probably end up buying two and do both! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the real question is: Is anyone building a Supernatural Impala.  My Biscayne make-over is almost done.  This is one of those kits with endless possibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never even heard of the show until I started seeing a couple of builds on YouTube! xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to suggest if anyone wanted to do a cop car, the colors of the Marxland State Police in 1967 were very sharp (olive drab and black), but apparently they switched from Chevy to Ford in '67. It is so very sad. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...