Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who on the board will be building the Supernatural 67 Impala as a police car?

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I bought two kits....NYPD and Yellow Cab NYC......

4 hours ago, GMP440 said:

I plan on building the Supernatural Impala as a police car.  I know the hardop body is not correct for a police car, but despite that anyone planning to do the Impala as a police car?

I think if you were to study some pictures of 1:1 4 door sedans you could create the B Pillar and window surrounds for the side windows and make a reasonable 4 door sedan out of the hardtop. May not be 100 % but I think it could be made to look very close.  

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I like that idea!  Are decals available for both of those? 

Ive been wanting to do a New York cab but a Camry doesn’t excite me too much 

This set can be used on any RMPs from 1930s to 1972:

NYPD Vintage Cars Set 1:24 Water Slide Decals Made for White, Green & Black Cars

Re taxi door decals, you'll either have to make them yourself or get them custom printed. Nobody makes an accurate rendition.

I was thinking about it,the other day on the turner classis channel was a James Garner movie,They only kill their masters,he played a cop in a small town driving a beat up impala 4 door cop car,it caught my attention.

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Nice!  Thank you!  I do like the look of those green ‘n’ blacks - would be cool to have one on my shelf!

The "DIAL 440-1234" decal is used to depict cars prior to April 1968. After that "Emergency Dial 911" was in effect. You'll also need to get the proper beacon/siren. The junk in the kit is nothing like what was used by NYPD back in the '60s-1972. Custom Squads sells the correct Federal Beacon Ray Model 175H rotating beacon with the correct clear dome and Federal Pulsator roof-mounted siren. You can find them on Page 3 of the catalog, listed as "CS-SR/BR3$6.50 (NYC Vintage)Siren/Rotator Pkg."

1 hour ago, kelson said:

I was thinking about it,the other day on the turner classis channel was a James Garner movie,They only kill their masters,he played a cop in a small town driving a beat up impala 4 door cop car,it caught my attention.

theyonlykilltheirmastersmkv_snapshot_011

Plenty of images here, if one wants to take a whack at it:

http://imcdb.org/vehicle_1075629-Chevrolet-Impala-1967.html

10 hours ago, kelson said:

8 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

theyonlykilltheirmastersmkv_snapshot_011

Plenty of images here, if one wants to take a whack at it:

http://imcdb.org/vehicle_1075629-Chevrolet-Impala-1967.html

Technically, since that has the high-mounted side trim, I believe that's probably a '67 Bel Air.

(For some reason, in 1967 Chevy decided the Bel Air would get the 6-light taillights, like the Impala.  Every other year they used the basic 4-light arrangement like the Biscayne)

Edited by Robberbaron

21 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

This set can be used on any RMPs from 1930s to 1972:

NYPD Vintage Cars Set 1:24 Water Slide Decals Made for White, Green & Black Cars

Re taxi door decals, you'll either have to make them yourself or get them custom printed. Nobody makes an accurate rendition.

I know the people who make this sheet. I have a set like this. They do great work. 

G

0641BE3B-9345-4DB0-89FC-8D8DA70E7940.jpeg.08f9a799ec0851ef8edf327a8a453637.jpeg

Another option.. the Checkers name and taxi stripes are in the RM 37 or I’d it 38, pickup kit. Dean Milano designed the sheet and wanted to see if folks would use it for a cab. He likes my taxi. 
The rest of the text is just inkjet decals I made myself. Black is fine for taxis.

i do like that taxi decal sheet shown here too!

I was going to suggest if anyone wanted to do a cop car, the colors of the Marxland State Police in 1967 were very sharp (olive drab and black), but apparently they switched from Chevy to Ford in '67. It is so very sad. :(