Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who on the board will be building the Supernatural 67 Impala as a police car?

I just purchased my kit. (HL $17.99) I am absolutely going to make a cop car. Have not decided on which municipality yet. I will make my own decals. I do realize I will have to fab some B pillars for realism. It may be a ways down the road though.

7 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I do realize I will have to fab some B pillars for realism. It may be a ways down the road though.

You need to do more than just "B pillars." You'd need to remove the vent window frames, fabricate complete frames (including the B-pillars) for the doors (this can all be done with one piece on each side), then replace the lower and rear chrome edges of the vent windows into the new frames. And the '67 Impala had curved side glass, so all this framing has to have a subtle curve. It won't be an impossible mod, but it's not gonna be fast and easy. 

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You need to do more than just "B pillars." You'd need to remove the vent window frames, fabricate complete frames (including the B-pillars) for the doors (this can all be done with one piece on each side), then replace the lower and rear chrome edges of the vent windows into the new frames. And the '67 Impala had curved side glass, so all this framing has to have a subtle curve. It won't be an impossible mod, but it's not gonna be fast and easy. 

Thanks for the heads up. We shall see what my enthusiasm is for that (when the time comes). Except for the forums, I have no discerning audience around here that will even notice if I do or do not.

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Besides everything Snake mentioned, the Sedan roof skin is about an inch higher and the rear window opening is taller and rounded on top corners. 

Steve 

200615_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

200615_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

23 hours ago, SteveG said:

Besides everything Snake mentioned, the Sedan roof skin is about an inch higher and the rear window opening is taller and rounded on top corners. 

Steve 

200615_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

200615_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Yes, rear window is also more vertical than on the hardtop, so different C-pillar shape. Basically the whole roof is different, which is typical of the era.  4dr sedans and 4dr hts were pretty different. A resin Biscayne or Bel Air will be nice, along w/ the different interior trim a Biscayne or Bel Air would have.

Edited by Rob Hall

• 7 months later...
On 7/4/2020 at 12:34 PM, Bills72sj said:

Except for the forums, I have no discerning audience around here that will even notice if I do or do not.

Yeah, I would just go ahead and build it as a 4-door hardtop and call it good. People are always quick to point out all police cars as four-doors, yet plenty of images of 2-doors exist, so who's to say there wasn't one '67 Impala 4-door hardtop police car? Unless it's a replica of a real car, you can pretty much do what you want, so just enjoy the process.

It's unfortunate there is no nicely detailed TH400 auto trans with a separate pan available in a kit, though. AMT '68 El Camino and '70 Monte Carlo SS kits both have nice transmissions, but both have the pan molded in place, which is less than pleasing to the eye.

Here's an average, everyday driver idea:

67ImpalaNYWinter.jpg.3ac0b17c047d20284621ffb8eb23f57f.jpg

On 2/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, Casey said:

AMT '68 El Camino and '70 Monte Carlo SS kits both have nice transmissions, but both have the pan molded in place, which is less than pleasing to the eye.

They dropped the ball in that area for sure . Those moulded-on auto trans oil pans seldom look good without a bunch of filing and massaging ; then one needs to add bolt heads for a convincing appearance ( I've never bothered going that far ) . 

With a combination of the S/N and SS Impala kits you would have a great start on building one of these Indiana State Patrol '67 Impala's.  It even makes use of the bumper guards the front corner lamps.  The only think I don't I 've seen in scale are those Police Package Center caps. 

Ind67-02.jpg

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

With a combination of the S/N and SS Impala kits you would have a great start on building one of these Indiana State Patrol '67 Impala's.  It even makes use of the bumper guards the front corner lamps.  

Is this a strong hint? I spy two package shelf mounted lights, which would match up with the two extra clear lenses included in the Supernatural kit. 🤔

Edited by Casey

14 hours ago, Casey said:

Is this a strong hint? I spy two package shelf mounted lights, which would match up with the two extra clear lenses included in the Supernatural kit. 🤔

No hints here Casey,  just coincidence as far as I know.  I'm a big fan of both Municipal and Work vehicles in scale and would encourage Round2 to do more if given the chance.  It wouldn't take that much more work to bring us that Indiana State Patrol 67 Impala as a kit though.  

-Steve

On 2/12/2021 at 11:54 AM, Casey said:

Yeah, I would just go ahead and build it as a 4-door hardtop and call it good. People are always quick to point out all police cars as four-doors, yet plenty of images of 2-doors exist, so who's to say there wasn't one '67 Impala 4-door hardtop police car? Unless it's a replica of a real car, you can pretty much do what you want, so just enjoy the process.

Many county jurisdictions have allowed the Sheriff and deputies to purchase their own squad and then get reimbursed. This was common in rural southern areas and some places in the midwest. You were liable to see anything body wise and engine wise. I remember Roush prepared Pintos with V8s in a county in Georgia. High Speed Pursuit!!!

• 1 year later...

Actually considering getting both the 70 impala fire chief kit from AMT and the supernatural 4 Dr.  Going to do the 2 Dr 1970 Impala as the fire chief car and as I have a lightbar for that, will use the kit supplied lightbar for the 67 4 Dr. Won't be until mid April or May as I am currently working on American LaFrance Custom Pumper.