Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgic Hero Nissan Cherry X1-R

Spottedlaurel

For the Japanese car enthusiast, Doyusha offer an interesting range of subjects in their Nostalgic Hero series. I think some of them may have been produced by other makers originally and Doyusha somehow took them on, and they offer subjects that often aren't covered by the bigger Japanese kit producers.

BUT, and it's a big but, the detailing and scaling leaves a little to be desired! I got this one in a UK model shop back in the early '90s and eventually built it around 1995.

This is what it should look like, we knew it as the Datsun 120A in the UK, and it's the predecessor to the F10 which reached North America:

8418645610_a4c40b4ae9_c.jpg

1974 Datsun 120A Coupe (E10), c.1995/96 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

8418645190_ba77f835eb_c.jpg

1974 Datsun 120A Coupe (E10) c.2002 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

And this is how mine ended-up, painted Ford Signal Orange which I think was left over from another project and was as close as I could get to the distinctive mustard/orange colour I now know they called Ochre:

50069653777_e5b975cf9a_b.jpg

1:24-ish Nissan Cherry X1-R kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

50068842558_6833c9a93f_b.jpg

50068842508_3ba293e7a2_b.jpg

50068842458_3170351160_b.jpg

Scale-wise it's more like 1:22, maybe even 1:20 - it'd be interesting to compare it to the 1:20 Skyline I recently finished. The tyres are comically oversize, glass is tinted and the interior is shallow to allow for batteries and a motor underneath.

That being said, I think it does nicely capture the 'interesting' and characterful looks of the original.

I have never seen many of these Doyusha kits actually built, but they command reasonable money when they come up for sale. I have a few others, one day their turn will come when I'm feeling adventurous enough.....

Edited by Spottedlaurel

Clean, impressive detailing - especially the foiled badges and the black detailing on the rear quarter panel's simulated vent. The fender flares and those camera angles make the car look a little like a Renault A310.

I remember seeing the Datsun F-10 on the road, and I thought the wagon had a quirky appeal. This non-USA precursor is better looking than the F-10 fastback.

15 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Looks great!

Thanks Larry.

1 hour ago, Roadrunnertwice said:

Clean, impressive detailing - especially the foiled badges and the black detailing on the rear quarter panel's simulated vent. The fender flares and those camera angles make the car look a little like a Renault A310.

I remember seeing the Datsun F-10 on the road, and I thought the wagon had a quirky appeal. This non-USA precursor is better looking than the F-10 fastback.

Thank you Brad. I think the badges were done with brush-painted silver enamel, but I did use BMF on the brigtwork strips around the windows and across the roof. Nowadays I'd fit soe alternative wheels to make the most of those flared arches.

The styling has similarity to a few seventies sports cars and coupes. Probably a bit oppressive for any rear seat passengers!

• 3 months later...

This is great! I love these old Doyusha kits. I have a few of them on the way but not this cherry unfortunately. Agree the scale seems a little off but likely will scale OK with aoshima's skylines and other battery powered kits of the time. All good, just for the opportunity to get some of these amazing classics in kit form. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr. Turbo said:

I've been tempted by these, thanks for the photos and info.  Nice build!  Watching the gold Cedric taking shape, too - looking sweet.  I have my eye on the '71 Cedric 2-door HT. 

Thanks!

The '71 Cedric is one of the better ones, I have that to do someday. I'll take a look to see how it looks scale-wise against the later one I'm building.