Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Craftsman 63 Chevy II station wagon and Cal drag combo with 64 Galaxie, Falcon funny car and trailer to be released.

GMP440

Saw this on Steven's  Intenational website.

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1223 1/25 Cal Drag Combo: 1964 Ford Galaxie, Falcon Funny Car & Trailer $71.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1202 1/25 1963 Chevy II Station Wagon Craftsman Series $30.95   TBA

55 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

Saw this on Steven's  Intenational website.

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1223 1/25 Cal Drag Combo: 1964 Ford Galaxie, Falcon Funny Car & Trailer $71.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1202 1/25 1963 Chevy II Station Wagon Craftsman Series $30.95   TBA

Ah....that's then the wagon there was mention of in the Youtube video a couple of months ago, neat!

More of this please!

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Amazing if true! I'll buy at least a couple. 

Don't see why Stevens International woulp post incorrect info, but anyway...since the original kit was butchered into a drag type of vehicle, does this mean, this is totally reversed engineered?

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Don't see why Stevens International woulp post incorrect info, but anyway...since the original kit was butchered into a drag type of vehicle, does this mean, this is totally reversed engineered?

I would say there’s a good chance that Round 2 found the interior and chassis components for the Nova, and will just have to re-tool the body and chrome parts. I can’t see them doing a complete reverse engineering of the kit, though I’m certain stranger things have happened in the industry.

Interesting that they list the wagon as a Craftsman model, which was a designation used on curbsides in the 60s.  IIRC, the stock wagon kit had an engine ( mine is in storage). 

Regarding the above question about the Falcon, it’s a tube frame altered wheelbase drag car, last seen in several Model King reissues in the 00s.  

8 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting that they list the wagon as a Craftsman model, which was a designation used on curbsides in the 60s.  IIRC, the stock wagon kit had an engine ( mine is in storage). 

Regarding the above question about the Falcon, it’s a tube frame altered wheelbase drag car, last seen in several Model King reissues in the 00s.  

I have a suspicion they may have gone with curbside to make the job easier, but if it has that six in it (which isn't a bad-looking model,) that's okay, too.

Looks like MCW becomes the answer for the Falcon.

Charlie Larkin

OH WOW! :wub: Now the only question is how well can they fix the body - the trim and emblems on that kit were some of the sharpest AMT ever made.

Unlike most Craftsman kits, the hood was molded separately, and the engine compartment was still intact (unlike the RatPacker '65), ready for the 427s many of us will be stuffing in :rolleyes:.

All in all a happy way to start the weekend. Maybe I should look into casting some half red/half clear taillights for it?

The Craftsman kit was pretty much the regular kit without an engine; the other main difference was it used one-piece chrome taillights instead of the chrome bezel with red insert. It used the promo chassis and wheels/axles; oddly, I've seen several which came with full-sized promo tires - a goof on AMT's part. They were usually molded in ivory or sometimes a light brown (the one I had when I was five was that color).

I have two originals, but I'll be picking up at least one of the new ones (for comparison's sake, of course :rolleyes:).

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Old-kit dealers will be weeping.  That Kenworth/Challenge Cement Mixer was bringing 3-digit prices way back in the 1980s.  I remember seeing them, VERY rarely, at old kit shows back then.  

It would be nice if the Jimmy was the "Bushwhacker" version with the trail bike and rack.  IIRC, the only difference between it and the Blazer was the grille and side emblems.  Still good to have it back, though.

Speaking of the Great Unloading...?...I may soon be dumping a resin '63 Nova wagon body.   It has an interior and body with the hood molded in, no chrome parts.  But it does not have a chassis.

I had planned to combine it with a full resin kit I found cheap at a swap meet, a '63 Nova hardtop with a warped roof that does have a chassis, separate hood and chrome parts.  Now I may not have to do all that.

Edited by Mike999
goof

65D78DD0-ADC0-4170-B879-9A5152D33DF1.jpeg.c70413a1405528d6aa79fb75f2b6b646.jpeg

Here’s the two I own. Above is the coolest old custom. I bought it at NNL East many years ago.

Below is my original wagon built nicely with the six. Probably built by an adult, not painted but all the trim is perfectly painted in silver.

Both are keepers.  I will buy some new ones to mess with.  I’m wondering how much of the old tool they have.. if the custom parts and six will be included 

5E3F82CC-69A3-4606-B644-0965FC35ACC4.jpeg.f52b8f52588f9ea0f090e14cb675d8f8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I had planned to combine it with a full resin kit I found cheap at a swap meet, a '63 Nova hardtop with a warped roof that does have a chassis, separate hood and chrome parts.  Now I may not have to do all that.

Fix that '63 hardtop!  The altered wheelbase '65 is based on the '62-'63 hardtop, same roof and windows.  Find a started or incomplete '65, then stub that roof into the '63 body.  Shouldn't be hard...

4 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Can the Falcon in that drag pack still be built stock at all, or would require massive re-engineering?

Body-wise, you'd have to come up with a flat hood, and then alter the rear wheel openings. And then come up with emblems. The glass should be good. You'd still have to come up with a stock interior and chassis. 

I think somebody actually does a resin stock '65 Falcon. 

9 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I'm filing it under IBIWISI. (I'll believe it when I see it. Or, if you prefer, I'll BUY it when I see it.) B)

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Now watch eBay for an avalanche of Nova wagon builtups and "projects" over the coming weeks, as the Great Unloading commences...

Good idea! I think I shall do that very thing. Might be some bargains to be had. B)