Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Craftsman 63 Chevy II station wagon and Cal drag combo with 64 Galaxie, Falcon funny car and trailer to be released.

GMP440

The whole series is pretty cool, hopefully we'll see all of them released. I know these get as about much love as show cars from some members here. Just remember kits like this are what some of us of a certain age/generation cut our teeth on while getting into model building. There are kits I have little interest in but understand people's attachment to them and certainly welcome any releases as long as they'll make money for the manufacturers.

Edited by Phirewriter

the Craftsman Chevy II wagon is on my list, going to build a replica of the one Dennis Overholser had when we were in the USAF,  one weekend we pulled out the old tired 6 cyl & installed a 327...good memories..

yeah he later founded Painless Wiring...

On 7/3/2020 at 4:55 PM, Dave Darby said:

But wait, there's more....

FB_IMG_1593813265264.jpg

I'm thinking the '63 Nova wagon, the '72 GMC Jimmy, and possibly the '72 Chevy Racer's Wedge, will all be seeing a home in my collection. The Wacky Races kits? I just don't know? Especially at $30.95 a piece. Ouch! Though, I too loved the cartoon, and had the hots for Penelope Pitstop, back in the day. But, $30.95 and 1/32 scale? I've never seen these kits in real life. Maybe after I see one, I'll be convinced? 

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 11:19 AM, GMP440 said:

With the announcement of the 63 Chevy II wagon;  you think we will see the Indy Drag Combo come out later on?

Indy Drag combo kit.jpg

That would be great. How about that rig in the background with the Willys, that should be doable with the trailer becoming available along with the other kits still out there as well...

2 hours ago, Pete L. said:

That would be great. How about that rig in the background with the Willys, that should be doable with the trailer becoming available along with the other kits still out there as well...

Interesting box art, from the 60s I think.  The truck in the background looks like a mid 50s Chevy, which AMT didn’t have a kit of until the 90s...

Edited by Rob Hall

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting box art, from the 60s I think.  The truck in the background looks like a mid 50s Chevy, which AMT didn’t have a lot of until the 90s...

Also interesting is that there are no ramps on that trailer. Wonder how they got that Willys in that position?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 4:23 PM, 64Comet404 said:

I would say there’s a good chance that Round 2 found the interior and chassis components for the Nova, and will just have to re-tool the body and chrome parts. I can’t see them doing a complete reverse engineering of the kit, though I’m certain stranger things have happened in the industry.

I feel that Stevens and Round2 are attached at the hip somehow, so its of interest to promote accurate information

On 7/6/2020 at 8:05 PM, keyser said:

Mark, they complain at 40% off. SMH. 
I’ll get offers of $5 on a $10 kit I’m blowing out. Lol. Aircraft, Sci-Fi and Armor guys never blink at retail. 

One of my 2020 volume leaders in aircraft sales is the Trumpeter 1/32nd scale P-47D Thunderbolt bubbletop. My air guys all seem to agree it's a steal at nearly 70 bucks. Different sorts of folks. Different priorities.  

59 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

I feel that Stevens and Round2 are attached at the hip somehow, so its of interest to promote accurate information

Accurate or not .  Whatever Round 2 found and determine the parts they need,  correct or not correct to do the release of this kit, my hats off to them.

Edited by GMP440

On 7/20/2020 at 3:02 PM, Bob Ellis said:

Stevens owns Megahobby (or it's owned by the guy's son I was told, I'm sure the experts here will give the exact connection down to bloodline and DNA references)

Round2 owns Autoworldstore.

I'm guessing Megahobby and Stevens International combined move so much product that R2 tells them everything long in advance so they can set orders and get an idea of demand.

On 7/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Id still rather work with the old plastic over this new thin stuff. that being said ill still buy a case of these wagons to go with my pile of originals.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:14 PM, hpiguy said:

Stevens owns Megahobby (or it's owned by the guy's son I was told, I'm sure the experts here will give the exact connection down to bloodline and DNA references)

Round2 owns Autoworldstore.

I'm guessing Megahobby and Stevens International combined move so much product that R2 tells them everything long in advance so they can set orders and get an idea of demand.

Beyond Stevens running an online store, and a retail store in NJ, they're one of the three largest model kit distributors in the U.S. to "down stream" customers (think your local hobby shop).  They have to have pre-order information well in advance so they can pass it down to their customers so they know what/when to order and expect kits so they can tell THEIR customers (you and I - well maybe not us top 1/10th of 1% forum people - but the regular guys who shop there) when that Chebby Wagon and Ford Drag set are going to be available.

Edited by niteowl7710