Model Cars Magazine Forum

Understanding paint instructions - Aoshima

Hi, 

Im new here. I've built a fair few cars, now I'm trying a Pagani Huayra by Aoshima. Trying to get my head around the painting instructions is somewhat confusing. 

It says PH8 at the top of one page which = paint everything silver unless otherwise stated. But then further down the page it will show a part with

PH2 + H8 against one part?! So what colour am I painting this part 

H2 which is black or H8 which is silver? 

This is a recurring theme throughout the instructions. 

Hopefully somebody has done this kit or similar and can take my pain away. 

Thanks in advance 

Generally it means a mix of the two colors.  Tamiya, RoG and Fujimi do the same.  In some cases you would get a ratio as well. The P  denotes paint mark.  If this is the part, it looks like a 50:50 mix

Pagani Huayra `12 (Model Car) Assembly guide1

RoG does a code with a mix ratio:
image.png.b3a04f0404d861bba110e28f4fe08d1c.png

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Yep... that says that the wheel carrier is Yellow H4 plus Silver H8, which I guess means something like Tamiya Titanium Gold, and the disc is a Silver H8 plus Flat Black H12, so graphite or steel, with a black centre, and the calliper is pure Silver. If they aren't half and half they'll give you a ratio. Sometimes it's not a mix, but a flat color with a gloss clear over the top... that is indicated differently. And finally, often you'll find PHA and PHB, which are custom colors they give a mix ratio for early in the instructions and use throughout. They are often the bodywork colors, or occasionally a mix for all the "carbon fiber" areas.

I usually just find a picture to see what color they REALLY mean...

NxJiWQRJDv-4mHS3Y69R1M5Jyugm5cEAW219I-tl

(clearly if you can afford a Huayra, you can have the callipers in your choice of color!)

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

If you have a smartphone, something I've found incredibly useful is the Google Translate app. If you download the Japanese dictionary, you can point your phone camera at the instructions and see all the Japanese text magically transformed into English. Very handy for paint colours and those "Make sure you glue parts 5 and 6 to part 7 before adding the whole assembly to the chassis" build notes that tend not to be translated into English in older Tamiya or Fujimi instructions, for example...

best,

M.