Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Chevy Wedge Racer's Wedge release announced.

27 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

I welcome nostalgia kits . I love the simplicity , and the subject matter that was available when these were new. They are great kits to hand to a kid to get them in the hobby , with lower parts count and many building variations . 

the thing is, you try to get them into the hobby but it wont last, cuz it's not happening at a fast enough pace, IMHO stick with the average weekend builder, creating detailed yet easy to build kits, this is not a contradiction, good engineering goes a long way, JMHO

These days are long gone...

Edited by Luc Janssens

22 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I was looking around pics of a 1:1 that was similar, but only seem to find ones with 1 rear axle and with less slopey ramps.

7a3f6aba1c01246a4488bb2ed9a5d8bc--dually-trucks-gm-trucks.jpg

While looking for other pictures, I stumbled across these pictures of a six-wheeled ramp car. In combination with an old Jo-Han Caddy, there are several options. https://www.oddimotive.com/what-better-vehicle-to-haul-your/

Cadhauler.jpg

On 7/4/2020 at 2:11 PM, Casey said:

Really not the best kit of a ramp truck, especially the "tandem" rear axle, which is glued directly to the frame rails, and right over the molded in spare tire. ?‍♀️

MPCRW1.jpg.0447d73893d2ec0bcd18efa27ef94998.jpg

This built one is a combination of the MPC wedge hauler parts and an AMT pickup kit.  The MPC pickup had single exhaust molded to the chassis.

22 hours ago, Mark said:

The MPC pickup had single exhaust molded to the chassis.

Better pic of the original issue MPC '71 Chevrolet Racer's Wedge/Pick-Up kit:

MPCRacersWedge1971.jpg.f8d6a96158eeefc541eb3a8eaa576941.jpg

MPCRacersWedge19712.jpg.9620c5a8b7101f4c98a1d4c97a4937b5.jpg

Edited by Casey

If this has the truck bed in it as well as the ramp bed, I will grab one. 

I bought the Model King re-issue of the Racers Wedge and Open Road camper and someone offered resin bed sides that were single axle and I have that left to build.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the July 2020 Round 2  new kit lists. The usual 1/64 die cast and some SIFY reissues. They're going to reissue one of the old MPC Crime Fighter '30's car with all the machine guns, two figures, and a violin case or two. A couple nice looking 1/12 die cast including a 340 Duster. 

I hope it's the whole truck and wedge kit all together.  Is there someone on the board that has a contact with someone at Round 2 to ask what will be in the kit? 

Edited by GMP440

19 hours ago, GMP440 said:

I hope it's the whole truck and wedge kit all together.  Is there someone on the board that has a contact with someone at Round 2 to ask what will be in the kit? 

It should be. Thinking about it again, it doesn't make much sense to not include the pickup bed, especially since the ramp bed parts are a stand alone deal, and the bed parts are part of the pickup mold base.

I'm sure we'll know more as the release date draws nearer, or why not e-mail Round2 directly and ask them?

Since they label it a 72 Chevy Racers Wedge, if it didn't have a cab, it'd just be a wedge bed. The old camper/wedge bed didn't call it the Racer's Wedge. 

If they put a cab and chassis in, I'd think the whole mold would go in the box, or else they'll have piles of pickup beds. Prrobably will sell more Dodge pickups since people will want to use those for the wedge.  

So, what Casey said :) 

We'll know if the stock parts are included when the new box art turns up...deleting the pickup bed will necessitate changing the wording on the new box.  I'm betting that, other than the truck itself being the revised one, parts content will be pretty much the same as the original kit.

On 7/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, Rob Hall said:

I was looking around pics of a 1:1 that was similar, but only seem to find ones with 1 rear axle and with less slopey ramps.

7a3f6aba1c01246a4488bb2ed9a5d8bc--dually-trucks-gm-trucks.jpg

Yes, the kit is a bit cartoonish but the picture above shows a truck with a longer wheelbase. If one were to scratchbuild the chassis, the truck pictured here could be built with some modifications to the Racers Wedge bed.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's 35 bucks for the kit, that's not a terrible price all things considered. 

Here's a hauler I'm working on, AMT Ford chassis lengthened around 2 inches, with the Moebius 65 cab, a 23 dollar ebay styrene ramp bed and some Rookie resin duallys.

If you have a straight edge, a good angle finder/square, a sharp exacto and about $5.00 worth of .040 styrene you can make your own bed..

It's just sitting around with the other truck on it for now to make sure the splices hold..

F350-002.JPG