Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black Paint

39 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Just wondering what all you guys' go to for black rattle can paint on body of cars.  I have used mostly Krylon enamel with no clear with pretty good success but wondering if its time to  start using actual  model spray paint.

What ya say??

For the time being I still use Model Master Semi Gloss Black Lacquer decanted from a spray can and shot through a Badger 350 air brush. This is, of course, after priming the body with Tamiya gray primer from the rattle can. After the black has cured out I decant Model Master "Wet Look" Clear and shoot that through the same airbrush. Let it cure out for around 3 days before you mess with it in regards to wet sanding and polishing and you'll be A-OK.

Best rattlecan gloss black I've ever seen is Model Master Classic Black enamel. I've never seen a bad paint job with the stuff. Its only drawback is that it can take a couple weeks to thoroughly dry/cure. 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have used Duplicolor  black with Duplicolor clear on several occasions with good results.

It does require polishing, but it will give you a good shine and a durable finish.

I think I've just found my replacement clear coat. Wow Steve.

Wow Steven, those are nice shiny clear paint jobs.

Thanks Guys for your input.  A young friend of mine uses Duplicolor paint on his models and they always seem to have pretty heavy orange peel....of course it could just be his application.

For a nice , deep-black with a wonderful shine , it is difficult to match Testors Gloss Black Enamel .  While I haven't painted many vehicles with a nice ( showroom or restored ) finish , the few that I have were painted with Testors . 

I'm typically a 'Tamiya-or-nothing' mindset , but there are exceptions ( a few , actually ) . Tamiya's TS Gloss Black is a delightful paint : lays-down smooth and shiny . 

I suppose it depends on how much effort one wishes to put into a particular finish . Personally , I'm lazy when it comes to the tedium of colour sanding and polishing ---- I don't enjoy it what-so-ever .

Like others have stated : Testors workable-dry-time can be measured with a Julian Calendar ---- California paints are even worse (like , "Is there any catalyst in this paint ?") .

I'm with the Model Master Enamel suggestion if you can find it. Basically spray it on and that's that minus dust and stuff. But it shines right out of the can, two to three coats and you're done.. Only thing, good luck finding it anymore.

I know the plain Testors rattle cans were always good in black too but I haven't kept up with them enough to suggest them at this point. Seems 72 C likes it though.

Edited by Dave G.

10 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

Seems 72 C likes it though.

Honestly , it's been close to {{ gasp ! }} 20 years since I've used it ( in my 50 year old mind , it feels like only 5 years ago... ) .  If it's nearly impossible to obtain , then I'd go with the "other-lazy" route : Tamiya TS Gloss Black with --- don't chastise me here --- Testors enamel Glosscote [sic] . 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

don't chastise me here --- Testors enamel Glosscote [sic] . 

Testors enamel gloss is great stuff........as long as you're using it over very dark colors.

Don't even try to use it over a lighter color!

It yellows almost instantly.

For example, if used over a nice pale blue, it will quickly become pale green!

And if you do want to use it, just make sure that you have a month or two to let it cure.

Steve

5 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Testors enamel gloss is great stuff........as long as you're using it over very dark colors.

And if you do want to use it, just make sure that you have a month or two to let it cure.

Steve

Steve, in your experience, how much difference would a food dehydrator make in shortening the drying time of this clear?  I've heard (can't verify) that they can even make Testors silver dry in under a decade.  

48 minutes ago, Monty said:

Steve, in your experience, how much difference would a food dehydrator make in shortening the drying time of this clear?  I've heard (can't verify) that they can even make Testors silver dry in under a decade.  

I think Testor reformulated their chrome silver some years back. It actually seems to dry now. But I use very little of it, because a Silver Sharpie will do almost anything Testor Silver will do faster, easier, and look at least as good. 

2 hours ago, Monty said:

I've never used a dehydrator to cure paint.

I don't think that option was really on the radar 30 years ago when I was using enamel.

I use exclusively acrylic lacquer for bodies now.

No need for a dehydrator with that.

Steve

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Honestly , it's been close to {{ gasp ! }} 20 years since I've used it ( in my 50 year old mind , it feels like only 5 years ago... ) .  If it's nearly impossible to obtain , then I'd go with the "other-lazy" route : Tamiya TS Gloss Black with --- don't chastise me here --- Testors enamel Glosscote [sic] . 

Hey it was 60 years ago I shot my first Testors rattle can and 45 or so since the last ( actually I had switched mostly to Pactra by then) but can still recall that soft spray pattern going down and flowing out perfectly.