Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aurora '22 T Double Deuce Street Rod

gwolf

A quick rebuild of this built-up Aurora '22 T Double Deuce Street Rod I bought a few years ago at a Mid-Atlantic NNL show. I paid $10 for it and it came in a dirty ziplock bag. I bought it because I can't help myself and I really liked the wolf decal on the door.

IMG_0866.thumb.jpg.d1601708f3e65394ea68cfad0cf9e55f.jpg

A little digging online and I found the box art:

Untitled4copy-vi.jpg.9681900d40723987237af09213e1e1c0.jpg

This is the first Aurora kit I've had. Most of the part looked like they were there, but I couldn't figure out how the suspension went together. Eventually I found a Fotoki site where someone had the instructions posted (may have been one of you guys!).

IMG_0868.thumb.jpg.d1624d54e2b8531c3086bdc1c513397d.jpg

IMG_0871.thumb.jpg.48e1803b773d56c3a1814ef921c8eed3.jpg

IMG_0869.thumb.jpg.ece8bbf12016d141bdca5b1bedc8e31c.jpg

IMG_0870.thumb.jpg.0571c64d89780b608acf6476ee7ccf28.jpg

My plan with this lil T is to just put it back together the way whoever originally bought it had it. Luckily, most of the chrome parts were never scored or sanded, so the old, dried glue came off pretty easily.

IMG_0867.jpg.81153b4ac869b2449236bcdb02403785.jpg

I used a pin vise with a small drill bit got rid of the stuck, dried glue inside the holes on the front tie rods. 

There's a few parts missing, like the rear tie rods and shocks, but I think it'll display fine after it's all put together.

Ha!  I found its partner years ago, also in a "dirty Ziploc bag" at a kit swap meet: the stock Aurora '22 T.  It has a couple of warped and missing parts.  The Aurora kit included one neat part that the AMT Model T didn't:  a luggage holder that went on the running board.

These kits were available thru the "Parents' Magazine Young Model Builders Club,"  back in the 1960s-70s.  They came in a mailer box, with the kit parts sealed in a plastic bag inside.  I don't think the Ziploc bag had been invented yet.  

Here's an article about the club.  Its advertising material showed several other Aurora kits, like the Jaguar XKE, Viking ship and CH-54 Skycrane helicopter.  Also a couple of Revell kits.

https://clickamericana.com/toys-and-games/join-the-young-model-builders-club-1967

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Ha!  I found its partner years ago, also in a "dirty Ziploc bag" at a kit swap meet: the stock Aurora '22 T.  It has a couple of warped and missing parts.  The Aurora kit included one neat part that the AMT Model T didn't:  a luggage holder that went on the running board.

These kits were available thru the "Parents' Magazine Young Model Builders Club,"  back in the 1960s-70s.  They came in a mailer box, with the kit parts sealed in a plastic bag inside.  I don't think the Ziploc bag had been invented yet.  

Here's an article about the club.  Its advertising material showed several other Aurora kits, like the Jaguar XKE, Viking ship and CH-54 Skycrane helicopter.  Also a couple of Revell kits.

https://clickamericana.com/toys-and-games/join-the-young-model-builders-club-1967

That's really cool, Michael! Thanks for sharing that.

This a very interesting post for me as I have a smattering of parts from one of these and hope to salvage it like you did.  You have opened my eyes to some parts in my stash that I did not know belonged to this kit, the rear axle and the engine front plate to be exact. My relic is in much worse condition than yours but with the help of your photos I think I have a fighting chance of getting it back on the shelf.  I really appreciate that you have saved this piece of our modelling history - there are far better examples of T buckets out there ( by pretty much every other manufacturer) but you stayed true and got this back to the way it was intended by Aurora and that is an achievement in itself!

Cheers

Alan

You have made a great save here getting this back up on it's wheels & tires. I notice that the super charger looks to be mounted backwards. Looking at your front belt drives you'll notice that the snout for the super charger drive is mounted to the passenger side where the generator would be. Just spin the super charger around and switch the positions between the generator and the drive for the super charger. Are you able to find the exhaust manifolds in your stash ? .