Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Pontiac

doorsovdoon

ok, my first build on here so be gentle! xD only kidding, be as critical as you like, guys, I welcome it. Just opened the box and can't wait to get started. I'll be going with the standard convertible, though I do like the custom which comes with some sweet decals and an awesome little scale box you can cut out and put on display, I Love it!  I'll do the pickup next time if I buy this kit again. I've chosen to paint the car in Aztec gold with a beige interior, not the most exciting colours but I think it'll look ok when completed.

one.JPG

two.JPG

three.JPG

42 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

1970 Pontiac Bonneville y gellir ei drosi ... Faint o'r rheini ydych chi wedi'u gweld yng Nghymru? 

You speak better Welsh than I do.. in fact I don't speak a singe word of it! xD I know, shameful. To answer what Google translated there, I have never seen a Pontiac in Wales. Cars more than fifteen years old are rare here due to the climate. They just rot away. I have a couple of classics myself and it's extremely hard keeping on top of the rust. 

Good progress so far. It's not a kit I've seen before, definitely something I'll look out for.

Can tell you're a UK builder with all the Halfords cans! What are the small Hycote Double Acrylic cans like to use? I bought one just the other day because I needed a particular colour, a quick test shot showed it to give a decent finish.

6 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

You speak better Welsh than I do.. in fact I don't speak a singe word of it! xD I know, shameful.

I don't actually speak it (though I wish that I could) . It's part of my heritage ( half-Welsh ; quarter-Scots ; quarter-Irish ) , and those Celtic languages fascinate me --- a mix of Old Latin and Nørse .  John Cale ( Velvet Underground , etc. ) and Tom Jones are Welsh... you can hear it in their accent ( Cale's first language is Welsh ; English is his secondary-language ) .

Keep up the great work ! Duw a Ddarpar i'r Brain ! 

12 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Good progress so far. It's not a kit I've seen before, definitely something I'll look out for.

Can tell you're a UK builder with all the Halfords cans! What are the small Hycote Double Acrylic cans like to use? I bought one just the other day because I needed a particular colour, a quick test shot showed it to give a decent finish.

haha! yeah, Halfords is the go-to place for paints, pretty good quality. The Hycote brand is really good, though I haven't painted a complete car with it yet I've only used it on engines so far if I remember. The Pontiac will be done in Hycote but I have faith in it, it seems to lay down well with excellent coverage.

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I don't actually speak it (though I wish that I could) . It's part of my heritage ( half-Welsh ; quarter-Scots ; quarter-Irish ) , and those Celtic languages fascinate me --- a mix of Old Latin and Nørse .  John Cale ( Velvet Underground , etc. ) and Tom Jones are Welsh... you can hear it in their accent ( Cale's first language is Welsh ; English is his secondary-language ) .

Keep up the great work ! Duw a Ddarpar i'r Brain ! 

I wish I understood the language too, my dad's first language is Welsh but he never taught it to us. My grandfather was Irish and moved to England during the War where he got married, they eventually moved to Wales where he worked at Pembrey airfield. So there's a bit of everything in me, but only one language! xD

Starting to get some paint on now. Satin black on the chassis and silver for the exhausts. The exhausts are moulded into the axle which looks funny. When the paint dries I'll do the axle in glass black and detail the chassis. The engine is an axle through block which always tickles me:D

chassis Exhaust.JPG

engine.JPG

Here's a couple of pictures of the custom interior tub and the roof. There's a lot of potential with this kit, it also comes with various other custom parts like seats and some really nice Crager rims, I think that's what they are so correct me if I'm wrong.

interior tubs.JPG

roof.JPG

wheels.JPG

wow, that's nice! Is that the Christine Fury body? I've been thinking of picking that one up. Yes, Hycote is becoming my favourite new brand of paint. I've just laid down the first coat on the Pontiac and looks to cover really well with no dark spots or streaks I sometimes get with the Halfords brand. Here's a sneak peek:)

20200706_005515.JPG

Chassis is done. Working on the interior now. I added some chrome pen and did some foil and wood effect fablon to the door cards as it was very beige in there. I cut out some foil slightly wider than the wood effect so it looks like fine chrome trim around the wood. Looks much better! Not sure if the real car had it but it should have:D

I may paint the carpet just to tone the beige down a bit a bit more!

chassis.JPG

foil and wood.JPG

interior.JPG

seat_back.JPG

seats.JPG

Interior and paint finished! The only thing holding me up now is I have no red paint for the engine. I masked off the body and done the trim, and the interior tub is now fitted waiting for glue to dry. I decided to paint the carpet a different colour rather than leaving it beige, it was too much! The kit came with front seat belts, awesome, and I found two in my spares for the rear, double awesome!

glue underside.JPG

masking.JPG

interior tub.JPG

Engine is almost complete, just need to pick up some paint tomorrow. I have no idea what engine it is, I don't know American engines, but I'm guessing it's modified going by those carbs! This is the only way to build the engine in this kit, there are no other parts.

engine.JPG

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Engine is almost complete, just need to pick up some paint tomorrow. I have no idea what engine it is, I don't know American engines, but I'm guessing it's modified going by those carbs! This is the only way to build the engine in this kit, there are no other parts.

engine.JPG

The kit's engine represents a Pontiac engine. The 3x2 Carb. setup was an option usually referred to as Tri-Power. The factory color that Pontiac used was different shades of a medium Blue color going to a light metallic finish in later years. Building a custom you can paint it what ever color you like.   

Almost complete! The front bumper didn't want to sit flush so I had to use some tape to hold it while the glue sets. The interior is an odd one with this kit, it has the two pedals and bench seat for automatic but doesn't come with a shifter for the steering column, so I drilled a small hole in the column and fitted the gear stick that came with the kit.

20200707_070848.JPG

20200707_070956.JPG