Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 GMC Jimmy Re-issue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, alexis said:

Makes you wonder if the new re-issue will have 4 drag slicks, doesn't it?

I would think it will, but the blurb below doesn't specifically state how many slicks are included:

A CLASSIC KIT FOR EXPERIENCED MODELERS: AMT’s 1/25 scale 1972 GMC Jimmy is a great project for an experienced modeler who likes options. Add it to your collection today!

FEATURE PACKED: The Jimmy is an iconic ride with off-road style! Fully paintable, it features an expanded sheet of water-slide decals loaded with colorful options. Build it 1 of 2 ways: stock or drag. Features include stock and drag engine parts, removable roof with opening rear window, pad printed M&H Racemaster drag slicks, stock and drag wheels, and more. Wrapped up nicely in vintage-styled packaging!

Features:
  • 1:25 scale, skill level 2, paint and cement required
  • Molded-in white, clear, transparent red, and chrome
  • Black vinyl tires
  • 145+ parts
  • 7 inches assembly length
  • Ages 10+

• 3 weeks later...

Miles.

Yes and no. The Crew Chief is the Chevy Blazer version of the tool. There is also a GMC Jimmy Version, which is the one this thread is about. Truthfully, other than the Grille, Tailgate, Hood and, Decals there probably won't be much difference in the kits.

I'm just curious to see what is in the box.  If you look at the clear tree in your Blazer kit, you can still see the 4 small GMC Headlight lenses. I think the "Jimmy" name plates are on the chrome tree, as well, but I don't have the kit handy to confirm.

3 hours ago, Rodent said:

Watched that last night. Not impressed by the fit of the roof or rear window.

The top is warped for sure ( at least on the production copy which Chris built )  , which correlates with the tweaked backlight frame fitment ( e.g. , left-front of top affects the right-rear of the top ) .

I want to get a copy of this kit  , but some of its errors are a bit off-putting ( the aforementioned top ; the 5-lug rear wheels with 6 lug fronts ; no brake master cylinder ) . Not absolute deterrents , but definitely a pause...

6 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The top is warped for sure ( at least on the production copy which Chris built )  , which correlates with the tweaked backlight frame fitment ( e.g. , left-front of top affects the right-rear of the top ) .

I want to get a copy of this kit  , but some of its errors are a bit off-putting ( the aforementioned top ; the 5-lug rear wheels with 6 lug fronts ; no brake master cylinder ) . Not absolute deterrents , but definitely a pause...

It's a 50 year old tool and had fit issues during previous releases so no surprise that they are still prevalent. 

The wheels can be replaced with aftermarket options, a master cylinder can be made if one cannot find a spare.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

It's a 50 year old tool and had fit issues during previous releases so no surprise that they are still prevalent. 

The wheels can be replaced with aftermarket options, a master cylinder can be made if one cannot find a spare.

Agreed. After all these years, this is one of these kits (along with the Blazer) that I have had in my hand at the LHS many times, but it has never followed me home. If one does, I will probably either strip the chrome from the kit wheels and get some dog dish caps or order a set of the 15x8 6 lug "rallye" wheels and some suitable tires from Fireball. I have some resin engine compartment pieces I bought on eBay a few years ago that solves the lack of underhood detail on these and the MPC pickup versions.

But that roof looked like a hot mess. I am sure that it could be fixed and glued to the body.

Edited by Rodent

I've glued the roof in place on ones I've built. The engine block in this kit is also oddly scaled. The tires are no good at all for this truck, but the excellent decals and eight extra tires will cause me to pick up a couple!

6 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

a master cylinder can be made if one cannot find a spare.

Mr. Arthritis doesn't permit for me to whittle such small items from plastic , etc. , stock . I'll have to peruse eBay for a brake master (or , likely , use the "unseen" one from the Chevy Van [ AMT ]  ) ; and , yes , the wheels are easily replaced... it's just mildly-frustrating that one may encounter a compulsory need to fab the in-absentia parts and / or source them via the aftermarket (though I do support Fireball , et alia , as often as I can ).

I got these on eBay a few years ago. They were designed for the AMT and MPC pickups which have even less under the hood that the Jimmy/Blazer. It was too long ago to show up in my history, and I don't have the original package other than a Ziplock bag. Obviously, they screwed up with the quantities, but at least I have two master/booster combinations, two wiper motors, and three HVAC housings, one for A/C. The seller may have been Hopper's Bazaar, but it has been too long ago to remember. Maybe this kind of thing will reappear again with the reintroduction of the Fleetside and Racer's Wedge kits. The Revell Camaros have a very nice Bendix booster/master combo that would be good on most GMs of that era, but I don't want to buy a kit just for the booster. I have been lucky enough to get a few of them from generous forum members over the years, here and SA both. I have some resin Midland-Ross boosters that would go on Mustangs, Torinos and such. I don't remember the caster, but they also make GMs.

PXL_20210108_175626643.jpg