Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Beaumont conversion

Can-Con

So, as some know, I've been working on a conversion set to make the Revell '68 Chevelle into a Beaumont.

Here's what I have so far. 

Starting with the kit parts, I cut the grille out and found some diamond mesh grille to use for the Beaumont grille. 

IMG 2760

Stripped everything. fit the grille material in and finished modifying the grille surround and the ends on the outside of the headlight bezels. Made a center section and added the photoetch "BEAUMONT" script.

The emblem in the center section is a bit on the small side. I may try making something a bit better. 

IMG 2761

IMG 2762

IMG 2763

Now, on to the rear end. , ,  

That looks great Steve. I've always preferred the '68 design over the one-piece '69 headlight doors.

Interesting note on the '68 h/doors; the Beaumont parts were chromed castings vs the chevelle's stamped anodized aluminum parts.

2017-04-01 12.09.01.jpg

Edited by mk11

As someone who saw Chevelles and Beaumonts rumbling along on Canadian streets through my childhood and young adulthood, (and always having a slight preference for the Beaumont), I give you a big "thumbs up" for the work you are doing on this.

I'm looking forward to watching this conversion. I always felt the GM and Ford products from the Canada looked like a customized version of what we had here. 

Edited by espo

7 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

Very impressive work.

I've often wondered why people call these pontiacs, i know the badge is similar to pontiac but doesn't it have maple leafs inside the badge? Im pretty sure these cars were a line of their own in Canada.

They were sold at Pontiac dealers so to a lot of people they were "Pontiacs".  But, yes, they were a line in themselves. the name "Pontiac" was never used by GM of Canada in association with the cars.

Canadian Pontiac dealers didn't sell any of the U.S. LeMans/Tempest/GTO line because the tariffs put on them by the government would make them too expensive to compete in their intended market nitch.

Also, a lot of Americans seem to think they were the Canadian version of the Chevelle but we actually had two plants pumping out actual Canadian Chevelles and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference without knowing where to look.

16 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

Very impressive work.

I've often wondered why people call these pontiacs, i know the badge is similar to pontiac but doesn't it have maple leafs inside the badge? Im pretty sure these cars were a line of their own in Canada.

The Beaumont was originally part of the Acadian line, sold through Pontiac dealerships. As Steve has posted, the tariffs on the US-built Tempests was high enough to price them out of the market. Once the US/Canada Auto Pact was signed in 1965, the sales of mid-size Pontiacs increased, but the Beaumonts represented a less-expensive and more frugal choice in the Canadian market (most Beaumonts came equipped with sixes or the 283/307, which was more economical to run and maintain than the OHC six or the 326/350 found in US cars).

10 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

They were sold at Pontiac dealers so to a lot of people they were "Pontiacs".  But, yes, they were a line in themselves. the name "Pontiac" was never used by GM of Canada in association with the cars.

Canadian Pontiac dealers didn't sell any of the U.S. LeMans/Tempest/GTO line because the tariffs put on them by the government would make them too expensive to compete in their intended market nitch.

Also, a lot of Americans seem to think they were the Canadian version of the Chevelle but we actually had two plants pumping out actual Canadian Chevelles and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference without knowing where to look.

Thanks for clarifying that. A local guy has a 69 Beaumont and a 67 mercury truck he shows at local shows and cruise ins.

I love the 1968 Beaumont tail lamps , as they seem to flow nicer with the lines of the Chevelle's hindquarters .

The Beaumonts actually used Pontiac Le Mans dashboards , too ... maybe upholstery , too (?) .

S.D. ( Sport Deluxe ) 396 or a Cheetah 427 ( Centre Chevrolet of London , Ontario  , IIRC ) sold the latter . 

On 7/6/2020 at 10:04 PM, 1972coronet said:

I love the 1968 Beaumont tail lamps , as they seem to flow nicer with the lines of the Chevelle's hindquarters .

The Beaumonts actually used Pontiac Le Mans dashboards , too ... maybe upholstery , too (?) .

S.D. ( Sport Deluxe ) 396 or a Cheetah 427 ( Centre Chevrolet of London , Ontario  , IIRC ) sold the latter . 

Just the dash, John. The rest of the interior including the console and steering wheel were directly  out of the Chevelle.

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

A little update on the back. 

This main piece will be done soon and then on to the tail light lenses.

IMG 2765

IMG 2764 

That looks amazingly like the one I rear-ended in Nashville with my Buick Skylark!

Hi Steve, as a fellow Canadian, I LOVE the work you're doing. 

What are the chances of doing a '67 conversion? I own a 1:1  '67 Beaumont and have wanted to build a replica for years. My scratch building is pretty good, but yours looks much better! 

Keep up the nice work. 

Cheers, Steve

20 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Steve, as a fellow Canadian, I LOVE the work you're doing. 

What are the chances of doing a '67 conversion? I own a 1:1  '67 Beaumont and have wanted to build a replica for years. My scratch building is pretty good, but yours looks much better! 

Keep up the nice work. 

Cheers, Steve

Thanks ,, and '67s are sweet. Probably the cleanest design of all the Beaumonts.

I see you're from the Island. I have family farther up.  My father lives in Campbell River and I also have family in Courtney. 

I might do a '67 later on. This project will is actually for a resin caster so it will be out there for others to build also.

Edited by Can-Con