Model Cars Magazine Forum

Supermodified

Finished!

Found these on the web. Awesome cars. The sort of cars I like where some very smart people are building very fast cars within some smart rules without multimillions of backing. Mostly scratch built with bits from my junk box. Looks good on the shelf. It's not copied from a specific car nor is it particularly accurate but a lot of fun.

Brian

2012locketest-4.jpg.c40ba46b5c6db82c4cb2566658fcdec9.jpg

DSCF4766.thumb.JPG.7a73b1092d4243663536dbc3a717c91f.JPGDSCF4772.thumb.JPG.230ddfedca5dee45b1cd0da1fa37ea7d.JPGDSCF4775.thumb.JPG.252f3cddd33350833a8ff6848cb0ab92.JPGDSCF4776.thumb.JPG.35dc4202a93b25f92484c84fe303a8ec.JPGDSCF4778.thumb.JPG.7875490e8d00953b6f2454f9a8fee5ee.JPGDSCF4779.thumb.JPG.4eec83a7ee7ea63ec1b0568ef1b9bf45.JPG

Sure is an interesting looking car.  Great scratchbuilding.  I'm going to guess that all the weight on the left side of the car helps it turn left better.  I would think it would be tough to drive on anything but an oval.

Now I really have to start one of these.  What an amazing looking race car!  I still think I will be doing the style with the steeply raked wing over the top but your WIP has given me heaps of information to make a start. Congratulations on building a style of model that you very rarely see!  You have really captured the precision and  the outrageous styling of these rocket ships!

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan

Sorry! I think you must be a lot like me. You have a nice list of projects sitting there then something comes up that bugs you till you have to do it!

I looked at the high wing cars which are probably more effective but I'm a low and wide man so.... A good thing with these cars is the great variety of options for things  like the suspension design and power plant. It was probably more fun designing it than actually building it.

Can't wait to see your build.

Brian

I've already commented on the car.....now let's talk about super modifieds. I went to see them the week of the 500 at Indianapolis Raceway Park. A bit of a muggy night. As the cars went around the back stretch they were amazing....actually pulled vapor trails. Exciting racing. The only cars I've seen to compare would be sprints or midgets on dirt. Absolutely worth a four hour drive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Outstanding job Brian! As a Super modified fan...this build sure shows what these cars are about. This car  resembles the cars that run at Oswego, N.Y. They run with wings and without. Here's a link for the track.  http://www.oswegospeedway.com/

There's a lot of info there....including the rules for building a new car. Their web site has changed a little since I've last visited but....still a lot of info.

Brilliant modeling with a top-notch result! Perhaps my favorite contemporary type of race car, precisely because they are, as you say "The sort of cars ... where some very smart people are building very fast cars within some smart rules without multimillions of backing", encouraging creativity and originality - truly pure-bred race cars. Your build captures their essence beautifully. Bravo!