Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1995 Toyota Supra Turbo

Casey

Weird illustration. Rear side window looks like a tonneau and the rear targa edge looks like a rollbar. 

Searched here on Google, not much on this thing built. Spoilers ugly, and evidently wrong for F&F car. Rather have a stock looking one. I have Tamiya which is far better I'm sure, but I don't recall if it has a motor. Rob, do you know offhand?

26 minutes ago, keyser said:

Rather have a stock looking one. I have Tamiya which is far better I'm sure, but I don't recall if it has a motor. Rob, do you know offhand?

I have the Tamiya one also, but haven't looked at it in years, couldn't remember...checked Hobby Search and it does have an engine--pics of the instructions here.  

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10002198/20/3

Yup, can verify the Tamiya kit has an engine.

Seemed like AMT did some copying from it, too.  Think their kit has the same twin-turbo setup, whereas a more accurate modded Supra would have a bigger single turbo.  Still, considering the dreck we got after AMT's 2000 bonanza of new tooling, this kit was actually something of a low-bar improvement.  Certainly stronger than the Eclipse and Jada-cartoons Evo and 350Z, even if that ain't saying much.

AMT had a later version of this kit with better-looking headlight covers than the weird original ones the boxcover would indicate for this re-release.  Wonder how that all works.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
punctuation