Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '49 Mercury - 'Communication Breakdown'

MattP99

Here is a 1/25 scale Revell 1949 mercury that I did recently.  Headlights and street light are LED with scratch built background and street lamp. The phone booth is from Doozy.

Posters are downloaded from the web and are all from 1972, as is the licence plate. The original plan was to do a replica of the Badlands film car, but it looked to dull in plain black :)

Painted with Mostly MIG & Vallejo acrylics + hairspray/salt and Oil weathering. 

mercury 1.jpg

mercury 2.jpg

mercury 3.jpg

mercury 4.jpg

mercury 5.jpg

mercury 6.jpg

mercury 7.jpg

mercury 8.jpg

mercury 9.jpg

mercury 10.jpg

Edited by MattP99
Wrong info

The model is nicely done and the diorama makes an awesome presentation, I liked the weathering on a traditional custom which is usually done in a gloss paint.  It's a bit different which is nice to see.  Great job all around.

Thanks for all your great kind comments, what a brilliant welcome to this forum too :)

Currently working on a 'similarly themed' diorama with a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda, street light and vehicle lights, so I shall of course put it on here when complete :)

Edited by MattP99

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Grumpa said:

This is fantastic Matt! The car, the atmosphere, the night shots! This could pass as a "3-D" version of art from Keith Weesner. Check him out and see what I mean! Really well done! Very, very cool!

Wow thank you so much :)  I am working on a follow up so will hopefully post pics in he next few days or so 

17 hours ago, MattP99 said:

Wow thank you so much :)  I am working on a follow up so will hopefully post pics in he next few days or so 

Matt. "Husky1943" mentioned some cigarette butts at the foot of the pay phone. Tiny pieces of 10 / 20 thousandths brass wire painted white with a little color on the ends really fools the eye. I've used this on some 1/4" scale figures and it's pretty convincing.