Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

On 7/7/2020 at 2:47 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Not as ambitious, but every bit as well designed and thought out...

Really Bad Custom Cars (41 pics)

Remember after the fast and the furious movie came out and all the teenagers and older adolescents started putting aluminum wings on their trunk lids. This picture made me think of that..

Yeah, so?

The car was built to suit its owner.  There are still plenty of stock ones running around.  Just acknowledge it's one of a kind and move on.

This thread is kind of like mocking the one kid in class that had his own unique fashion sense.  ?

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Remember after the fast and the furious movie came out and all the teenagers and older adolescents started putting aluminum wings on their trunk lids. This picture made me think of that..

Yeah, which always makes me wonder about all the useless add-on "spoilers" and wings on run-of-the-mill production cars. My old Neon has one. From new. Every time I look at it, I cringe. Little car will never go fast enough to need downforce on the tail, the silly wing probably doesn't make any anyway, and if it does have any aerodynamic effect, it most likely induces drag...hurting gas mileage rather than helping it.

Can't just take it off though, 'cause it's bolted on through holes in the deck.

Which reminds me...the huge silly wing on the rear of the Countach slowed the car by 5MPH on the top end, and made lotsa noise doing it.

True enough, but manufacturers have always adding "styling" to cars to make them more visually appealing to whatever people were looking for at the time.

In the 50s, Buick added those useless fender portholes.

Also in the 50s, rear fins on Cadillacs, Chevs, Buicks, Plymouths. All for show with zero enhancement to the car's abilities.

From the 60s through to today, countless brands have added larger or addition exhaust tips in the rear bumpers; from Honda and Chrysler to Mercedes.

Lots of modern cars with flappy paddle shifters behind the steering wheel...which do exactly the same thing as the plus and minus signs on the gear shift lever.

And let's not even start with colour choices, chrome, fabric choices, body kits, wheel choices, etc. 

Styling will always be overdone to suit wheatever trends may be out there. Good or bad.

Many manufactures and in turn buyers seem obsessed with spoilers on all sorts of vehicles. #1 as Ace has pointed out most if not 99.9 % never could or will achieve a speed where they would be effective even if they ran off of a 10 story building. #2 While I have no verifiable facts, it Is my opinion that if anything the so called spoilers create more  drag than they do done force. This is more of a styling Q that even Mini Van buyers seem drawn to.   

34 minutes ago, espo said:

So many cries for attention. Begs the question, how is the handling effected by cross winds on the highway ?? 

Someone once aksed me "What's handling? Like how easy it is to park?"

Speaking of which, those tall boys are at least easy to find in the lot.

24 minutes ago, espo said:

...My only question is where is her phone ? 

In her back pocket, making a little sharp dent to make fixing the big soft one her butt has made on that poor decklid that much harder.

I've been amused for decades by people who think "steel is strong" and never notice the waves and ripples moronic behavior like this leaves in their panels.

You can bet the grit on her "soft" sneakers scuffed the begeezus out of the paint on that bumper cover as she so cutely wriggled up there, too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Dry-your-laundry-on-this-Japanese-crapwagon.jpg?fit=455%2C455&ssl=1

Mitsubishi-Lancer-with-massive-spoiler.jpg

Crazy ways that people customise their cars | We Want Any Car

That's suppose to amuse people?????......?

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Someone once aksed me "What's handling? Like how easy it is to park?"

When a woman says her new car "handles like a dream," that's exactly what she means--it's easy to park. :lol:

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

In her back pocket, making a little sharp dent to make fixing the big soft one her butt has made on that poor decklid that much harder.

I've been amused for decades by people who think "steel is strong" and never notice the waves and ripples moronic behavior like this leaves in their panels.

You can bet the grit on her "soft" sneakers scuffed the begeezus out of the paint on that bumper cover as she so cutely wriggled up there, too.

My wife is still unable to explain the scratches on the top of the rear bumper just below the trunk lid. I just know that she will drag items out of the trunk across that are and or just rest anything going in or out of the trunk there. No matter how many times I explain what she is doing to her car she just says "Whatever" Good thing I love her because I would "strangle" anyone else that treats a vehicle in that manor. 

20 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

1404604248_figureditout.png.f096124c418eb34f075c29a4147783a3.png

The only thing worse is coming upon her doing this on your car! ?

Many years ago I used to take my 73 Scamp to the Englishtown NJ car show..  one time some numpty walked right up, laid his Coke on my hood and put his foot up in my front bumper to tie his sneaker!  I screamed at the guy who was wondering what my problem was!

1 hour ago, espo said:

My wife is still unable to explain the scratches on the top of the rear bumper just below the trunk lid. I just know that she will drag items out of the trunk across that are and or just rest anything going in or out of the trunk there. No matter how many times I explain what she is doing to her car she just says "Whatever" 

I have a client/friend who's the same way. She always has mystery scratches and dings on every horizontal surface, and routinely asks me how they could have got there, and how much it would cost to fix them. She has a new silver car now, a bitch to match, and I give her the real body-shop price to repaint the roof, hood, and decklid...which of course she thinks is highway robbery astronomical (and like most people, has zero idea of what it takes to do a top-line undetectable repair).

So, being the great guy I am, I'll take half the day and polish out as much as I can. She's always happy with the results, and I tell her if she wants to keep it looking nice, quit dragging stuff over it...which she firmly denies ever having done.

Then I'll see her dump her purse out on the deckild to sort through all her useless crapp, or put her laptop on the roof or hood and slide it across the paint.

And of course if I mention it she gets in a snit, says she SHOULD be able to do that without hurting anything, and that it's the paint's fault for being too soft.

Same girl blamed the traffic island she drove over for her popped tire, bent wheel, and screwed alignment ($500 by the time I got it all fixed), and blamed the car she backed into for being in the wrong place.

EDIT: This behavior is in no way unique to women.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, espo said:

My wife is still unable to explain the scratches on the top of the rear bumper just below the trunk lid. I just know that she will drag items out of the trunk across that are and or just rest anything going in or out of the trunk there. No matter how many times I explain what she is doing to her car she just says "Whatever" Good thing I love her because I would "strangle" anyone else that treats a vehicle in that manor. 

Sounds like someone I know.... ??

3 hours ago, espo said:

When we bought the Focus (and the one before it) I bought the Ford accessory "bumper guard" which is basically a heavy clear plastic waterslide decal with a logo on it. I bought a plain one for the Mazda from one of the clearbra folks for less than 1/2 the price. We don't tend to drag things over the bumpers, but in case something happens the plastic takes the brunt of it and can easily be replaced. Any of us that can successfully put a large decal on a model should be able to install it, but a warm surface is needed for best results.

Some of the accessory places on e-Bay also sell colored plastic (black, grey) bumper guards for many cars that are like the ones used on SUVs. I would assume that there is one for your Charger that would cover up the existing scratches and take more abuse than the bumper cover.

IMG_20200718_111530.jpg

IMG_20200718_111517.jpg

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I have a client/friend who's the same way. She always has mystery scratches and dings on every horizontal surface, and routinely asks me how they could have got there, and how much it would cost to fix them. She has a new silver car now, a bitch to match, and I give her the real body-shop price to repaint the roof, hood, and decklid...which of course she thinks is highway robbery astronomical (and like most people, has zero idea of what it takes to do a top-line undetectable repair).

So, being the great guy I am, I'll take half the day and polish out as much as I can. She's always happy with the results, and I tell her if she wants to keep it looking nice, quit dragging stuff over it...which she firmly denies ever having done.

Then I'll see her dump her purse out on the deckild to sort through all her useless crapp, or put her laptop on the roof or hood and slide it across the paint.

And of course if I mention it she gets in a snit, says she SHOULD be able to do that without hurting anything, and that it's the paint's fault for being too soft.

Same girl blamed the traffic island she drove over for her popped tire, bent wheel, and screwed alignment ($500 by the time I got it all fixed), and blamed the car she backed into for being in the wrong place.

EDIT: This behavior is in no way unique to women.

53 minutes ago, Rodent said:

When we bought the Focus (and the one before it) I bought the Ford accessory "bumper guard" which is basically a heavy clear plastic waterslide decal with a logo on it. I bought a plain one for the Mazda from one of the clearbra folks for less than 1/2 the price. We don't tend to drag things over the bumpers, but in case something happens the plastic takes the brunt of it and can easily be replaced. Any of us that can successfully put a large decal on a model should be able to install it, but a warm surface is needed for best results.

Some of the accessory places on e-Bay also sell colored plastic (black, grey) bumper guards for many cars that are like the ones used on SUVs. I would assume that there is one for your Charger that would cover up the existing scratches and take more abuse than the bumper cover.

IMG_20200718_111530.jpg

IMG_20200718_111517.jpg

When we got her new '14 Dodge Avenger RT I took the car to one of the best tint shops in the area and they have dine several of our cars over the years. Besides the usual window tint, 35% max. in Kansas, i have them do the heavy 3M film on the nose of the car. I'm still not sure if street sweepers are legal here. I should have had them cover the top of the rear bumper as that looks like it would be a great idea and the film they use is all but impassible to see the edge.