Model Cars Magazine Forum

Because I don’t have enough Lotus kits. ...

The MFH stuff is over the top in detail and pretty much out of my price range.  For all the extra parts and cylinders it wasn't that much more competitive than their V8.  I think they only  won one of two races before retiring the engine. Still it is a Wicked piece of kit, as it were.  Here are a couple of my research pics the last one I believe was from a Road & Track article and my fave.

BRM H 16-03 sml.jpg

BRM H16 Top 02 sml.jpg

BRM H16-F 01 sml.jpg

Brm H16 04 sml.jpg

The H16!

thanks so much for sucking me back down into one of my favorite rabbit holes

heavy, unreliable, weird unusable torque curve, not as much HP as promised

- a great big - magnificent - mess

but what a great modeling subject!

the definitive book on the car has yet to be completed

- it is sitting quietly on Doug Nye's desk - or somewhere in his laptop ...  the mysterious - ever elusive - BRM Vol IV  !!

Ive got photos of the Donington car - including detailed engine shots - from over thirty years ago !

- Ill post them when I start to build the engine 

neither the Lotus 43 - or the BRM H16 - have ever been properly kitted in 24th scale

the pix that you have posted come from the great R & T mag issue listed below

- along with some other vintage mag articles on the H16 

- just in case someone is foolish enough to join me ...   

warning - the moment that I / any of us / finish a Lotus 43 or BRM H16  build in 24th scale - 

some wise guy will 3D print/produce a magnificent kit...   

just a thought ... 

BRM H-16:

Autosport    ______ 1966   w/cutaway - don’t have
        Motor (Uk)   May 14,1966   don't have 
        Sports Car Graphic Aug 1966 eng feature w/color d/have
        Thorbred & Classic Cars Feb 1986  Overhead shot of car
        Motor Sport   Sept 1994
        Road & Track  Aug 1966     Must-have - great cover shot 
        Autocar   Aug 20,1977 Full pg eng color cutaway by Berris 

Like I really need another 3>4 year CAD project!  Maybe we can get Mad Mike to work one up? The MFH BRM build on the britishmodeler site had lost all it's image links however there is still a WIP of the Lotus H-16. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235084613-lotus-43-brm-jim-clark-1966-us-gp-watkins-glen-mfh-120/

Really clean work on the body and a stunning engine build.  And after all it is all about that beast of an engine.

Like I really need another 3>4 year CAD project!  Maybe we can get Mad Mike to work one up? The MFH BRM build on the britishmodeler site had lost all it's image links however there is still a WIP of the Lotus H-16. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235084613-lotus-43-brm-jim-clark-1966-us-gp-watkins-glen-mfh-120/

yes - Pascal is a really good builder - but where do you surf in France ??  ??? 

The Valves Springs and Guides aren't the problem I already have those from an old Offy that I was working on until someone else did one in 1/8th.  Of course they didn't have the full ports and valves.  MFH only had the crank rods and pistons.  Actually  it was just after this project that I gave up on doing the internals since no one ever sees them anyway.

Offy 3_1-1-21.jpg

3 hours ago, absmiami said:

Like I really need another 3>4 year CAD project!  Maybe we can get Mad Mike to work one up? The MFH BRM build on the britishmodeler site had lost all it's image links however there is still a WIP of the Lotus H-16. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235084613-lotus-43-brm-jim-clark-1966-us-gp-watkins-glen-mfh-120/

yes - Pascal is a really good builder - but where do you surf in France ??  ??? 

Le Cap Ferret.

Those of you who have wandered thru this thread will recall that I am converting a Lotus 49 Japanese resin kit from long, long ago.   One of the changes is to reshape the leading edge of the cockpit cowling - the 43 has a rounded leading edge or lip. Whereas the 49 had a more squared profile....

0DE9419C-2182-4BE5-80F7-6423678B4289.jpeg

E73677D9-BB08-4EAD-AD50-7153249DFF98.jpeg

477A1A32-6435-44BB-85FA-5384DCC17AC7.jpeg

When I widened the body last summer I never got around to the nose - widened this morning with a couple of pieces of renshape - it’s about 2 scale inches wider with the renshape  inserts - pretty close to the scale drawings ...  the castings are fairly thin - so that there will be room for a radiator - which is nice ...  the surgery was performed with razor saws, PermaGrit flat files, diamond burs, and sanding drums and sticks - and a Little putty...

A1B9A41B-DE42-4455-B606-1480C2CDCA1E.jpeg

A8239805-2D91-4F80-B5D7-F8F85C116D59.jpeg

48D353E1-0737-41E5-BC62-C0ED3B865D2B.jpeg

6106ADE9-40FC-4C18-B72C-F5B7F38EF38E.jpeg

37C69BC7-D6D1-4A61-B16C-6C027B5D7802.jpeg

DE5A9BB6-7981-49D7-994F-15A8701E4979.jpeg

Not sure how I missed this one. Nice work this curious Lotus. I have a 43 project in my project book as well, waiting its turn. It is my understanding that Lotus modified a 38 to create the 43, so my plan was to start with the old IMC Lotus 38, though it is hard to say how much of the IMC kit would get used. Especially since I want to build in 1/24 and the IMC kit is 1/25. Diligent measuring required. I have one in the stash waiting patiently, but I'll be watching your progress to see what I can pick up. What I really want to do is just scratchbuild the awesome H-16, the car merely being something to put it in. I think I may have to build two engines, so I can display one on a stand next to the model.

Warning. The IMC Lotus is under scale. Closer to 1/26 ...  the Heller Lotus 49 would be a better starting point   -  I’m modifying - 

an old Japanese resin kit of the ‘67 Lotus 49 - that “borrowed” some Heller kit parts -

recasting them in white metal - repeating all of Heller’s many errors ...

the engine - won’t be making mine til I finish some other stuff -  get LOTS of Evergreen plastic. All shapes and sizes - and some razor saws and a mitre box and your favorite liquid glue - and away you go - and please

post you progress - on your own thread - or even on this one - no objection whatsoever from me ...