Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980s Monogram Land Rover SWB

After posting my progress in On the Workbench, this Land Rover is finally complete!  

I made some detail compromises as I put this together, but I’m very happy with how it turned out. Best of all, I finished a long-abandoned Holy Grail kit that lay broken and partially built in a succession of attics for nearly 40 years.

I’m still working on the hardtop with a factory-looking rear hatch to match this build’s tailgate – but that’s a low priority because I plan to display this Rover in open-top mode. Sitting assembled and on display is a better fate for this kit than resting in unbuilt pieces.

20200703_145536.jpg.2530fd0a1e19936d499ca85f95d6ccd1.jpg

20200703_151003.jpg.0b7a9fbc8a3e1ee5a9928528ee027410.jpg

20200703_151321.jpg.2698aa0d3861f7e24c17b4833386d8c9.jpg

I might never have gotten around to this build, but Revell’s new-tool kit inspired me to dig it out of my stash. My copy of the Revell kit now sits nearby ready to start. But first, I’ll tackle a different project or two before diving right back into another Land Rover.  For now, I’m off to start on a Tamiya Nissan 370Z!

Edited by Roadrunnertwice
Add link to Workbench thread

Great to see it finished and looking good here!

The slightly recessed headlamps work well.

By coincidence, I've seen an old built-up example in need of restoration come up for sale on eBay here in the UK. Currently sitting with just 1 bid at £5.99, be interesting to see what it goes for. Probably one project too many for me.....

Edited by Spottedlaurel

Nice Rover. I'd like to find one too, but the asking price is always too much.  I never saw one without the top on and it gives it a different look.  I didn't realize the seats sat facing each other. You did a great job on your Rover. Thanks for sharing. 

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...