Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello Gents!

I decided to build one more GM truck. I guess it will look right without much rework. 

1_online

Seme parts were used to copy for Ironhide TopKick. So opened the box I've found that only one tyre left. Other 4 were remade for different priject. 

O-key, I heve Dodge ram with the same tyres.

2_online

First I wanted to build this:

autowp_ru_chevrolet_silverado_

autowp_ru_chevrolet_silverado_

BUT I guesss it is 4x4 and only 4x2 version in the kit. So I switched to this:

8_online

Here it is

4_online

Cleaning up and test fit some parts.

5_online

Filled cavities

7_online

Heve found couple parts to replace - front springs.

6_online

• Like 1

Here are pinned rear spring brackets

8.jpg

Front upper arms (I hope it the right term) treated the same way

9.jpg

Gaps will be filled latter

10.jpg

Inner and exterior trunk walls got  a styrene piece inserts to make more room for tail lights.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Filled cavities on rooth. Filled battery bottom line and made a corresponding groove on wheel arc.

Deepened panel lines.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Hood hinges were extended to let a lid stand in opened position, when it need.

16_online

17_online

I noticed plastic mud guard on a photo and tried to replicate it

24_online

18_online

Tail lights needed reflectors

19_online

Tail lights lenses  were copied in clear resin in  case I won't make with kit's one.

52_online

Also I saw at the picture above, tiny shock absorber brackets. So Revell's horrible brackets were removed  and replaced by a piece of PE fret. Feel the different.

20_online

21_online

Also tried to make wheel arc overlays (correct me if It wrong term)

22_online

23_online

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Wait...Coke removes kit chrome?!

How long do you have to let them sit? I'd much rather use that than the Castrol Super Clean I use now.

Love what you're doing with this one. Your little touches will really set this one apart from the rest!

yeah, you really dont want to drink it. I know people that use it to unseize/clean engines. We use it at work to clean stainless

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

yeah, you really dont want to drink it. I know people that use it to unseize/clean engines. We use it at work to clean stainless

Thinking about it, I remember back in junior high science classes, we did the experiment where you clean rusty nails or dirty pennies. I'm pretty sure we dumped a Hot Wheels in there too, but I can;t remember what happened.

Will have to give it a try.

Coca Cola contains Phosphoric Acid (yes nasty chemical which will remove rust, model "chrome" and has dozens of other uses).  But I believe it is too weak to remove the clear coat under the "chrome".  You need something stronger for that: Sodium Hydroxide.

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/20-unusual-uses-for-coca-cola-that-youve-never-considered.html

https://www.instructables.com/id/10-Unusual-Uses-For-Coca-Cola/

I'm also impressed with how this model is progressing, and the level of added details. I especially like the added taillight reflectors.  I assume that the holes are for future light bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 11:12 AM, peteski said:

I assume that the holes are for future light bulbs.

I'm sorry, Peter, but no working bulbs this time. Custombilt deforced me with it's 160 LEDs.

Thank you, Francis! Very kind of you! I saw your 64 Dodge. That's really Superb! ;) 

On the Coke issue. When I was a youngster my parents wouldn't allow me to drink Coke or any other Cola drink at the time. To illustrate  their reasons they put a piece of meat in a container of Coke much like you did with your chrome wheels. The meat lasted about as long as your chrome did. I think I was old enough to drink Beer before I was drinking Coke. Turns out I prefer Beer anyway.   

On 7/30/2020 at 9:51 AM, espo said:

On the Coke issue. When I was a youngster my parents wouldn't allow me to drink Coke or any other Cola drink at the time. To illustrate  their reasons they put a piece of meat in a container of Coke much like you did with your chrome wheels. The meat lasted about as long as your chrome did. I think I was old enough to drink Beer before I was drinking Coke. Turns out I prefer Beer anyway.   

Phosphoric Acid is the chemical in Coca-Cola which can attack metal, or organic substances like meat. Sure it can remove the "chrome" from plastic kit parts, remove rust from steel, or even dissolve a piece of steak.  But that demonstration and the entire experiment is silly.  The Hydrochloric Acid in you stomach (which plays role in digestion of the food your eat) is more concentrated that the acid in Coca-Cola.  No need to be alarmed or afraid of drinking Coca-Cola because it "dissolves meat" .

12 hours ago, peteski said:

Phosphoric Acid is the chemical in Coca-Cola which can attack metal, or organic substances like meat. Sure it can remove the "chrome" from plastic kit parts, remove rust from steel, or even dissolve a piece of steak.  But that demonstration and the entire experiment is silly.  The Hydrochloric Acid in you stomach (which plays role in digestion of the food your eat) is more concentrated that the acid in Coca-Cola.  No need to be alarmed or afraid of drinking Coca-Cola because it "dissolves meat" .

I knew that, but my parents, this was a long time ago, also didn't want me to read MAD Magazine or watch hardly any TV.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Gents!

Now I have deepened panel lines and finally primed large parts outdoors.

32_online

33_online

Some places need more attention

34_online

When I was digging in interior panel lines, Scriber jumped off in a couple of places. And the muffler should be more fine sandpaper to treat.

35_online

36_online

And I have gone to keep sanding.

Edited by Sergey