Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Gents!

Last work has brought sad results, but perhaps someone needing this experience. 

So I masked off cab & bed to spray insulations & plastic

57_online

Window frames were masked with foil. I thought it more accurate. But foil is hard to cut through sometimes with first cut. Second cut can damage paint under mask

58_online

And you get this kind of shame:

59_online

May be I should take new blade before cutting.

60_online

• Like 1

Sad news indeed about the paint damage. This has happened to almost all of us at one time or another. I have had luck in attempting a repair, other times it required a complete stripping and repaint. 

Luckily, it's such a small area that repair may work. From your earlier posts, it seems you have some skill with sandpaper. Try masking and sanding the damaged area to blend the edges where the paint was pulled, then respray. I've had to do this a few times and had good results.

Aside from that, I wanted to comment on all the fantastic work you've done so far on this project. All the modifications you've made are very well done and will add much to the final appearance of the model.

David G.

• 9 months later...

Thank you, David!

How d' you!

how_d_you

Did you miss me?

The pieces begin to form a picture. I mounted the wheels, inserted the nipples (although they are almost invisible), dusted the tyres

61_online

Dusted the chassis too. I think during the assembly process, all this will crack a little.

62_online

The engine was assembled, brushed and tinted

63_online

The letters on the lid were made by Molotov. Dipped a toothpick and gently applied with the tip.

64_online

I tried it on a chassis with a body. It seems to be fine.

65_online

I haven't tried it on with the cab yet, since it's in the works. I polished the paint step on the door, but apparently I polished it badly...

66_online

67_online

When I painted and varnished, I realized that I hadn't completely removed the step. It was necessary to be "more careful"! Plus, I cheated and didn't primed this piece. Apparently 2 layers of primer gave a good thickness. We'll have to do it in a new way or disguise it with a fast food table on the door.

74_online

73_online

I added front seat belts and mats to the interior

68_online

69_online

70_online

71_online

Prepared the rear reflectors. First I painted it with an old Molotov marker. It didn't work out very well. I remembered about the Gin San powder and rubbed it over. It got better. I didn't buy it for nothing. It have already helped me twice in this project.

72_online

And more tar for the last. I don't like the side moldings. The paint did not lie evenly on the foil. I think to take it off, try Black chrome from BMF, and smooth stripes of chrome - on top. What do you think, Gents?!

76_online

75_online

• Like 2

Oh I like this truck and especially your work Sergey!  I owned a 99 GMC Sierra just like this.  It was the best truck ever and miss it and the simplicity.  I will keep watching your work.  Looks like you started this a long time ago and took a long break.  

Take care.

Very nice work Sergey despite your little misfortunes with the paint.

The interior is very nice and looks really comfortable, the choice of colors is perfect. 👌

As for the side molding, I never had success with the BMF black chrome (in fact all the other colors except the original chrome).  Maybe it would be possible to mask the edge and lightly sand the area to be foiled to have a smooth surface before covering it with chrome BMF?

• 1 month later...

Hello, colleagues!

Let's continue. Rebuild the moldings. Black chrome turned out to be friendly, but it looks worse than rubber black paint.

78_online

There is a Aluminharu from MFH on top of the Black chrome. The most difficult thing was to glue it with a perfectly strite strip. Pull it a little more and tear.

79_online

And here - there is a strip of Oracle tape instead of foil.

84_online

I did some magic with optics. I made fog lamps with the help of large lenses (it seems from Aeromax) and a file :)

85_online

That's how it's all assembled

83_online

There are 2 round lenses left. There is no reference to them in the instructions, but I think they are intended for ceiling lights. Their thickness is two times less than that of the rest of the glazing. But the diameter is about 1 mm larger than the lampshades. I had to reduce it.

86_online

Once again on the hood lifts: The hood is open

87_online

In the closed position, the hinges go inside

88_online

89_online

I showed off - I made an oil dipstick and a couple more little things under the hood

90_online

77_online

Yes, I did make a  sast food tray

91_online

I think many have guessed what kind of fruit vegetable it is 

92_online

preparation for the next painting

93_online

94_online

95_online

Yes, not everything turned out perfectly, but let's pass it

96_online

The fitting of the cabin and the chassis showed that the track of the left front wheel is more than a millimeter and a half than the right one. Perhaps because of the replacement of the front springs, perhaps because of a small frame screw... or maybe Revel messed up. I tried to put the disk on the hub better. It's half a millimeter better, but not enough. In short, I removed the wheel, cut the pins from the rotary hub, replaced it with a brass rod. Yes, the tag between the wheels was too small. I had to cut off a pin from left rotary hub and paste a piece of polystyrene between them. Marked with an arrow.

97_online

While impaling the hub, the paint was rubbed on the rim. Tinted with glossy black "enamel". After drying, rubbed with Guin Sun powder. For such repairs - an indispensable thing.

80_online

81_online

82_online

Any questions and suggestions are welcome!

• Like 2

Thank you David, Dan, Jonathan, Anton and JASON!

Good evening, colleagues!

A little more progress:

98_online

I have made an antenna, well, and put everything under the hood as best I could

99_online

Perhaps I have reached the stage where I can put this project on pause and already do the other two. A couple of general plans. I am always glad to have questions and suggestions!:hudo_zhnik:

• Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 4:22 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Wait...Coke removes kit chrome?!

How long do you have to let them sit? I'd much rather use that than the Castrol Super Clean I use now.

Love what you're doing with this one. Your little touches will really set this one apart from the rest!

You should see what Coke does to steel nails....😲😱....

That's why I don't drink the stuff...

I really enjoy peeking into this thread to see progress being made.

On 7/15/2020 at 4:22 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Wait...Coke removes kit chrome?!

How long do you have to let them sit? I'd much rather use that than the Castrol Super Clean I use now.

Love what you're doing with this one. Your little touches will really set this one apart from the rest!

It is the phosphoric acid in Coke (or Pepsi) .  While I have not tried, citric acid (in lemonade) might do the same. After all kit's "chrome" is actually very thin layer of of delicate aluminum.   But phosphoric acid will not strip the clear coating under the aluminum.  You need alkali to do that (like Lye in the purple pond or in Easy-Off).

And for fun facts google "many uses for Coca Cola", and you'll find things like https://www.wisebread.com/51-uses-for-coca-cola-the-ultimate-list

• 4 months later...